onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope talking about a 40-50% pay cut!

warehouse999

I agree with all three points Rob but particularly point two. There's no dignity in playing it out in public and all it does is strain the relationship further.

One other point is what is Rob Page's position on this matter? I'm a little concerned that Page is in the job to be Smurf's puppet

Advert

I would imagine that there are at least 3 players on equal or more than Tom Pope, and I think we could let them go without missing them too much.

They are Carl Dickinson, Carl Robertson and Chris Lines. Added to that Dodds, Birchall, Brown(although he be staying as a coach), Moore, could all go and I don't think we would be all that much weaker.

Add O'Connor and McGivern to that list

I'd love Tom to stay but we've lost better players in the past and survived.I don't think he'll be the only one being asked to take a pay cut.Tom is talking about a 40/50 % pay cut.Are they discussing figures already?Like I said I'd love him to stay but I love Vale more.

Toms been a good player for us and works is socks of for team, But his first aim should be to gain full fitness and win is place back in the team and put himself back in the market place.A longer deal on less money could be the option. Good luck Tom, my thoughts to you, keep your thoughts out of the press. Hoping you and Smurf can sort something out, U.T.V

I,m with Smurf on this one we have to run the club on the income coming in and if we the fans aren't prepared to put our money where our mouths are and actually turn up in numbers through the turnstiles then we can't moan when we have to get rid of our best players

Down to us people!!!

Tom Pope will make what he feels is the best decision for himself and his family.

Norman Smurthwaithe will make what he feels is the best decision for himself, his family and Port Vale FC.

Whether or not those decisions mean that Tom Pope will be a Vale player next season remain to be seen, but it's very easy for us all to have an opinion without knowing the exact ins and outs of what is being offered.

How about all these younger players Smurf is signing? Where in the budget has their wages been found? He seems to be signing anyone who is available with the hope he will find a gem and be able to sell him on for a massive profit.

Or we have a chairman that has a plan for the future. Someone who is building a squad for next season now.

It doesn't seem that long ago that mountains were being moved to bring O'Connor and Moore to the club.....it's fair to say neither have improved us dramatically. For all his great free-kicks, O'Connor is a walking yellow card from the off. I feel very sorry for Byron Moore but a tough decision may have to be made before too long.

I'd agree we could find similar to or better than Dickinson for less money.....and if Popey's under threat of a pay-cut then it must follow that Dicko would be as well. It's impossible to argue with Norman's policy of living within our means, but equally if we end up with a team of kids, has-beens and never-will-bes then that won't encourage supporters through the gates.

It would feel odd seeing Pope anywhere other than Vale though!

it's very easy for us all to have an opinion without knowing the exact ins and outs of what is being offered.

I think you've summed up football messageboards there. ;)

I think we're all aware that ultimately the decision is the owner's and he will do what he thinks is best. But surely, it's because we care about Vale and want the best team that we can get that we have these discussions.

Yep, ultimately, the decision is nothing to do with us, but then again none of us have a direct say in how the country is run but that doesn't mean we can't share our opinion on politics... ;)

Much as I want Popey to stay,if we can't afford his wages he will have to move on.Tom's family is his priority,so it looks like a parting of ways at the end of the season.

I think that it probably will and hence my appeal earlier in the thread - that if Tom does leave, we should thank him for what he's done for the club, let him leave with our best wishes and understanding of his circumstances and not make him a target for the booboys...

Archived