onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ched Evans

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nearly-60000-sign-petition-stop-4043715

Nearly 60,000 people have signed an online petition urging Sheffield United not to re-employ convicted rapist Ched Evans.

The 25-year-old striker is due to be released from prison in the autumn after serving half his sentence for raping a 19-year-old woman.

So if we dont get Jordan Slew by the end of August, and we are still need a striker, do you think Micky will be interested?

It could split the fan base in the way signing Lee Hughes etc did..

Advert

I tend to agree, the difference with Hughes was he was early 30s when he came out so to a point he only had the twilight years of his football career left which is probably why he's played for several lower league clubs.

Evans is lucky he's only 25 so will probably come out and could still get a biggish club unless he's lost it or is unfit.

I personally think the Ched Evans situation is a very controversial one. I see there is a petition urging the Blades not to sign him up again.

I don't hold with the knee-jerk reaction that all offenders should never work again as there has to be an element of rehabilitation for criminals. But surely there should only be rehabilitation if the ex-offender works to correct his/her behaviour and acknowledges his offence?

As far as I've seen, Ched Evans and his family continue to deny any wrongdoing (they even set up this website about it) have never actually apologised to the victim in all of this and seem to think he did nothing wrong.

So, I would take a reformer character (Lee Hughes, for instance, acknowledged his crime, met the family and did charity/unpaid work to "give something back") but is Evans a reformed character?

I personally think the Ched Evans situation is a very controversial one. I see there is a petition urging the Blades not to sign him up again.

I don't hold with the knee-jerk reaction that all offenders should never work again as there has to be an element of rehabilitation for criminals. But surely there should only be rehabilitation if the ex-offender works to correct his/her behaviour and acknowledges his offence?

As far as I've seen, Ched Evans and his family continue to deny any wrongdoing (they even set up this website about it) have never actually apologised to the victim in all of this and seem to think he did nothing wrong.

So, I would take a reformer character (Lee Hughes, for instance, acknowledged his crime, met the family and did charity/unpaid work to "give something back") but is Evans a reformed character?

If he believes hes innocent, surely he'll feel theres nothing to be reformed for?

If he believes hes innocent, surely he'll feel theres nothing to be reformed for?

Yes, technically, however I guess that are different ways and means of protesting your innocence - for instance, that website has been widely condemned by various groups (for the multiple attacks on the victim's character and financial rewards for "information"). He lost two appeals. In the eyes of the law he's guilty as charged whether he wants to believe it or not.

I guess personally after two appeals, I would expect him to accept the judgement and move on - something he doesn't look like doing.

Rightly or wrongly convicted and contesting the sentence or not, I guess I would expect some sort of statement condemning rape/sexual assault would have been nice rather than the constant online "updates" from the family about his "wrongful conviction". It all seems a little blinkered and self-centred to me, but maybe I'm wrong in saying that?

I do take your point that's it's his right to challenge it.

Whatever the ins and outs you can almost guarantee someone will take him on as he's a goalscorer and goals win games for football clubs. Like Lee Hughes he will have to put up with some level of stick from the terraces for the rest of his career. If he can turn a blind eye to it and rebuild his career then so be it, he is entitled to do that.

I believe he was harshly treated with a five year sentence, so to further punish him by denying him a living seems unnecessarily harsh. The fact his family have stuck by him says a lot in my book. If the rumours are to be believed there are plenty of powerful people walking about freely who have committed far worse crimes, so why pick on a footballer?

I think there's both sides of the "rehabilitation" argument in this BBC article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28769026

A Sheff Utd fan: "I appreciate he's done his time in prison but there's an argument about rehabilitation and many of us who have signed the petition do not feel Ched has been rehabilitated. He continues to protest his innocence and for him to walk back into a high-profile job where he's seen as a role model as if nothing has happened is just really appalling."

His girlfriend: ""Ched will forever maintain his innocence and we will continue to appeal. Anyone who is released from prison, part of their rehabilitation is to return to work. Ched's work so happens to be a professional footballer so I think he should be allowed to return to his job."

His girlfriend is an odd one' date=' he admitted to having sex didn't he and she stood by him through that, then the trial and through all of his appeals.[/quote']

True love? Forgiveness? Need for justice? Or as Mrs Merton may say - "What prompted you to stand by your highly-paid boyfriend?"

Archived