onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

TP, good enough for manager of season

So why wasn't my reasoning valid Beechy? Fact is you can't form an unbiased opinion over Liverpool unlike the rest of us.

I don't have any problem with your thoughts on Pulis. But to say that BR has 'done a good job' has to be the under-statement of the century. I'm not saying you, or anyone else for that matter, should be choking your chicken over it, but Liverpool have been sensational this season and the manager is responsible for that.

Advert

Got to agree with you there, Beechy. Not a fan of LFC but have to say that he's done a fantastic job in the last two years. That on top of what he achieved at Swansea as well. He is obviously a very good manager indeed. Credit to Liverpool for giving him the time to do it after a few shaky spells. A lesson there for other clubs.

Also have to say that Pulis has done brilliant at Palace as well. I bet Palace fans really can't believe it.

Be an interesting test for both these managers next season, when they have all this to live up to.

TBH it wouldn't go amiss to give it to both jointly for completely different managerial talents

At Liverpool we have seen a team developed over a couple of seasons with enough money, OK not man City or Chelsea standards but still a substantial amount. They are now a fantastically enjoyable side to watch and I personally hope they win the title.

However for sheer ability at inheriting despondent players very low on confidence and turning them into a TEAM where each player knows his job and accepts responsibility for doing it then Tony Pullis has no peers IMHO. I thought what he achieved at Sjoke was a miracle, but the transformation at palace is simply amazing and full credit to him

Sensational is a bit of an overstatement when he's had the money he has had to spend, but he would easily be second to Pulis in the awards and no other manager in the league comes anywhere near to what those two have achieved.

But as I mentioned earlier in the thread, Liverpool's net spend over the last 12 month is far lower than the likes of City, Chelsea etc. It's been the way in which many of the players have improved under Brendan Rodgers as to why Liverpool have done so well, not who was bought to the club or how much was spent. Martin Skrtel has been a rock this season, Flanagan has looked like a different player, Henderson has come on in leaps and bounds, Coutinho has gone from a talented but timid boy into a vital cog in Liverpool's machine, Sterling and Sturridge are suddenly two key players for England this summer after fantastic campaigns from both... I could go on. I'll agree that Rodgers and Pulis are the outstanding candidates, followed by Martinez, but should Liverpool win the title I just don't see how you could not name him as the manager of the year.

TBH it wouldn't go amiss to give it to both jointly for completely different managerial talents

At Liverpool we have seen a team developed over a couple of seasons with enough money, OK not man City or Chelsea standards but still a substantial amount. They are now a fantastically enjoyable side to watch and I personally hope they win the title.

However for sheer ability at inheriting despondent players very low on confidence and turning them into a TEAM where each player knows his job and accepts responsibility for doing it then Tony Pullis has no peers IMHO. I thought what he achieved at Sjoke was a miracle, but the transformation at palace is simply amazing and full credit to him

Liverpool have generally used the money they've received through player sales, though. The fact that they haven't spent a lot of money to challenge for the title, and play some outstanding football which has even recently been praised by none other than Pep Guardiola, makes it that much sweeter if they can get over the line.

At the start of the season I would have said Rodgers would have done brilliantly to sneak Liverpool into that 4th place that potentially gives you Champions League football.

Let's agree to give credit where it's due - both Rodgers and Pulis are very good managers in different ways and have had marvellous achievements this season. There are many others worthy of mention-obviously Martinez and in our league Jackett and Slade. Clough appears to have turned Sheffield United around - no mean achievement and there are many others. I don't believe any have achieved their results without the backing of the chairman, board and supporters. Something to think about there.

It's simple, I think Pulis has done a better job given the two clubs respective positions, squads and circumstances.

I don't see how that's a negative on Liverpool myself but if you want to see it as being negative then that's your perogative.

The hatred of Liverpool football club on this site by many is pretty sad. Yeah, lets ignore the amazing job Brendan Rodgers has done this season, being the key instrument in a club on the verge of winning the Premier League for the first time when a lot of people wouldn't have even put them in the top 6 at the beginning of the season, while also playing the most attractive football in the country (along with Man City at times) and propelling youngsters like Raheem Sterling, Henderson and Flanagan to a completely different level. That's not even mentioning that Liverpool's net spend is far less than the likes of Man City, Chelsea and United, or the fantastic work he did to keep possibly the 3rd best player in the world at this moment in time at the club when he got disillusioned and wanted out.

Tony Pulis has done a fantastic job since going to Palace, that can't be disputed. He's a good manager, it's as simple as that. But for me there is only one winner, even if Liverpool just miss out on the title.

What a bizarre post. On a thread that is saying pullis is manager of the year, no one had said anything bad about Liverpool and someone had said Rodgers should get it, somehow you read this into it? Have a word.

What a bizarre post. On a thread that is saying pullis is manager of the year, no one had said anything bad about Liverpool and someone had said Rodgers should get it, somehow you read this into it? Have a word.

Its an inferiority complex that scousers have :yes:

Tiny has proved himself to be a top, top manager. He spent years trying to make a 'silk purse out of a sow's ear' down the road. Now he has not only saved a team which were 1/10 on for the drop and turned them into a likely top ten finish. It would be wonderful if they finished above the Stripey eyes and as one Kevin Keegan famously said ''I would just love that''.

He won't win the Manager of the Year award but if you did a poll of his peers I'm certain that he would.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived