onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bratt speaks and the Sentinel listens

Alan Baker

Advert

There's been quite a lot of research into sponsorship. Naturally a sponsor wants to be seen and associated with a particular thing - in this case Port Vale. It hopes that its brand name becomes linked in memory through the sponsorship (that's what Wikipedia says)

So, it's not just a financial transaction (why would it be - the sponsor won't just give money to the club it also needs to get something out of it) and normally that is getting their company being connected or associated to a football team.

I guess Melv's argument is - financial contributions aside, has it been worth it for Port Vale to be associated very closely with a firm that currently undergoing extensive police and FSA investigations and is currently subject of legal action from hundreds of investors who haven't received a return?

After all, if those investigations expose wrongdoings, I would guess the phrase "former club sponsors of Port Vale" will be used at some point in the news reports.

Whether the financial benefits they brought the club outweigh the above is a moot point. It's easy to calculate the benefits a sum of money brings the club, but it's less easy to calculate how much bad PR and bad publicity this has brought the club.

I think the world at large probably remembers their association with Liverpool before the Vale since they had advertising at the ground which was shown on Sky TV.

I expect the money which our current sponsors give to the club was originally someone else's money. That is the whole point of a monetary system.

Strange stuff money, credit notes with a guarantee that can be purchased for more or less than their face value and something you never actually own.

I have heard it said that at any one time traces of a drug can be found on 50%+ of all bank notes in circulation. That doesnt mean they were used to buy or use drugs, just that they are or have been contaminated at some point in use.

I find sponsorship a little odd too, would I rush out to buy insurance because an insurance company sponsors Vale, or only travel by bus, or join a union... the answer is no and I certainly wouldnt rush to buy a time share/holiday home either... do people notice who the sponsor is during the game? Are the sponsors mentioned during the game?... I cant remember a commentary along the lines of.... "Thats a hat trick for pope in his GMB [whatever] shirt"... or "the shoe laces sponsored by X stood up well in the muddy conditions".

On the other side of the promissory note I can see the disadvantages of being associated with a company who may be under investigation by a government agency [tax/vat/fraud/other criminal] but then again you dont see teams being openly sponsored by a Colombian cocaine cartel or "de management"

I expect the money which our current sponsors give to the club was originally someone else's money. That is the whole point of a monetary system.

My God man,think about what you post before you actually do.Are you quite happy for the club to receive money from an unlawful source?Three words- Serious Fraud Squad.Bratt's best mate.

Interesting topic. Morally and legally Harlequin may be sharks (did supporters still wear the shirts) did our fans let the club take the money without protest.

If harlequin have been taking money falsely they should be punished however stoke seem happy with bet365 or other teams sponsored by gambling companies where all companies seem to be on the increase meaning many people must be losing money and probably their houses through addiction-this may be legal is it moral to promote through football.

Don't fully know the ins/outs but football will take money from any available source as long as its a legal transaction, look at Birmingham City last owner his assets were frozen and im sure owners and top businessman of other premier league clubs didnt get their money by being nice.

Interesting topic. Morally and legally Harlequin may be sharks (did supporters still wear the shirts) did our fans let the club take the money without protest.

If harlequin have been taking money falsely they should be punished however stoke seem happy with bet365 or other teams sponsored by gambling companies where all companies seem to be on the increase meaning many people must be losing money and probably their houses through addiction-this may be legal is it moral to promote through football.

Don't fully know the ins/outs but football will take money from any available source as long as its a legal transaction, look at Birmingham City last owner his assets were frozen and im sure owners and top businessman of other premier league clubs didnt get their money by being nice.

Yes supporters did wear shirts.Wore them to show their support to the club and put money into the club.

No they didn't. Timothius made numerous posts on here warning about the dangers of getting into bed with a company like Harlequin and was roundly condemned by Mr Oliver for doing so. Tim was also supported by another poster, not a Vale fan, Seven Sisters(?) who had personal experience of Harlequin and warned against any association with them. Needless to say both posters were rubbished by those who thought they knew better.

No they didn't. Timothius made numerous posts on here warning about the dangers of getting into bed with a company like Harlequin and was roundly condemned by Mr Oliver for doing so. Tim was also supported by another poster, not a Vale fan, Seven Sisters(?) who had personal experience of Harlequin and warned against any association with them. Needless to say both posters were rubbished by those who thought they knew better.

There are a few of them but then I guess thats what a messageboard is for, at least now with GMB we are on a sound footing.

Archived