onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Hitzlsperger Comes Out

As far as I know gays are well accepted in today's society.

In the Uk maybe but in many nations and for many centuries that is not/has not been the case

I guess it's important to those who are prejudiced so he's sticking two fingers up to them.

I will add thatin today's world Muslims have it much more difficult than gays yet you dont see Muslim footballers maiking a song and dance do you

Advert

You don't seem to have struggled with the meaning of English words in any of your previous posts, so I find this a bit hard to swallow. Nobody would ever use the word 'confess' in the way you have above in normal speech.

I would

I've been in meetings where we've been discussing a document and someone has said "I have to confess that I haven't read it fully" or "I have to confess that i disagree with the reports conclusions"..for me confess just means that you are revealing something about yourself..not necessarily something negative/wrong

If he has no feeling of shame or embarrassment (emotive words, I admit) then why did he wait until now to tell the world? I still believe the word I used was appropriate.

Personally i think it's becasue he feared the reaction of others...that they would see it as something that he should be ashamed of or embarrassed about and/or would see it as a stick to beat him with

There are things in most peoples' lives that they are not ashamed of people knowing but don't want the hassle of how some people might react to knowing.

I'm not ashamed of being totally anti abortion but I don't mention it in certain contexts cos I don't want the hassle of someone punching me in the face when I reveal this (which has happened). However I would not hesitate in the right context to confess that i am totally anti abortion

But God (supreme being, deity etc etc) is not human so can he be homophobic? I suggest not

Batman, Desparate Dan, Dennis the Menace etc are 'human'..although Superman isn't..but then again he's an immigrant from Krypton so who cares what he thinks

I need a coffee

Desperate Dan isnt human... not even a lardie could eat a pie that big :D

Personally i think it's becasue he feared the reaction of others...that they would see it as something that he should be ashamed of or embarrassed about and/or would see it as a stick to beat him with

There are things in most peoples' lives that they are not ashamed of people knowing but don't want the hassle of how some people might react to knowing.

I'm not ashamed of being totally anti abortion but I don't mention it in certain contexts cos I don't want the hassle of someone punching me in the face when I reveal this (which has happened). However I would not hesitate in the right context to confess that i am totally anti abortion

That's a good way of putting it. It's the fear of being ashamed or embarrassed. It is also the fear of being condemned. I don't condemn him. That is not my job or anyone else's.

Bea, I'm going to jump in here and say that Tone is far from being buddies with the Westboro Church. They have protested outside every building imaginable , including other churches. I saw them do it in Oklahoma, and they even protested at the Newtown funerals in Massachussetts. To no avail, thank goodness.

I don't go to church myself, but I know that the church that Tone goes to is a christian church, with the emphasis on the bible, love ,peace etc. All good things.

Westboro is none of that. In my opinion, Westboro is run by a bunch of lunatics, but the right to free speech in America allows them to congregate where they wish . That's all I have to say about that.

I had no doubt that Tone was not connected with the mindless semi-human deformaties of the Westboro Baptist, who have caused a great deal of hurt, pain, suffering and mental torture to people such as the relatives of deceased ex-US servicemen and many others. It was a counterpoint to the attack on Morrisey, just showing that there are nasty people across all shades of opinion.

The free speech that America holds so dear seems very selective me and many others - as the anti-communist witch hunts (McCartheyism I think its called) that started in the 1950's and went on for decades shows.

Of course you can say what you want, if it is right-wing hatred but if you say the wrong thing and your name is Martin Luther King, Robert Kennedy, Salvador Allende...

Can god be good, kind, loving, angry, compassionate, etc, etc...apparently the bible says so. So why not homophobic? How do we decide what's a human trait and whats not? Is their a list somewhere? At the end of the day it's a figment of human imagination anyway.

I had no doubt that Tone was not connected with the mindless semi-human deformaties of the Westboro Baptist, who have caused a great deal of hurt, pain, suffering and mental torture to people such as the relatives of deceased ex-US servicemen and many others. It was a counterpoint to the attack on Morrisey, just showing that there are nasty people across all shades of opinion.

The free speech that America holds so dear seems very selective me and many others - as the anti-communist witch hunts (McCartheyism I think its called) that started in the 1950's and went on for decades shows.

Of course you can say what you want, if it is right-wing hatred but if you say the wrong thing and your name is Martin Luther King, Robert Kennedy, Salvador Allende...

I'm afraid that you have no idea what it is like in America unless you live here. Maybe you do live here , I don't know, but there is a lot more to it than you know. It is true that there was a lot of hatred here against Blacks , and in some states there still is, but these days there is a a lot of discrimination against whites, particularly middle-aged white men. I've seen it myself. Two wrongs don't make a right, but if your going to go on about right-wing hatred etc, you're preaching to the choir. Finally, we have a bank holiday for MLK, and we have Black History Month, Kwanza, Juneteenth etc. Is there a Robert F Kennedy day? Or a bank holiday for JFK , to name a few? Do the math and get back to me.

Maybe you don't get out much if you truly believe there is no prejudice left against GLTB people. Yes, tolerance levels have improved but there are still a large number of physical and verbal attacks every day - yes, in Britain. Sadly, some people do 'care' about other peoples sexuality (not really the right word though).

As one example amongst many, This from as recent as 2010 :-

Gay Londoners see attacks rise

By Rebecca Taylor Posted: Wed Apr 21 2010

Time Out investigates the recent dramatic increase in attacks on gay Londoners and venues in the East End.

'We were on our way to the George and Dragon [in Shoreditch]. One Asian guy started shouting “Gay guys! Are you ****ing gay?”

Suddenly there were ten of them. They surrounded me. When they were just about to beat me up, a car stopped and some more Asian guys came out of the car and shouted, 'It's not worth it, they are just “batty boys”. So they let us go, but they still threw a couple of bottles at us.'

Homophobia Facebook site

This is one entry, among dozens, that has appeared during the last few months on the Facebook site 'Homophobia in E2'. The group was set up last summer to log a wave of homophobic crime that has hit the Shoreditch area over the past year.

This is not unusual and has been seen in of parts of the UK.

Not being drawn into your diversion about Muslims, but certainly until the murder of Lee Rigby, attacks on Muslims were very infrequent, and even that incident only saw a small number of idiots 'retaliate' notably one Ukrainian student who had only been in the UK a very short time.

Did I dream the Edl then?

I'm afraid that you have no idea what it is like in America unless you live here. Maybe you do live here , I don't know, but there is a lot more to it than you know. It is true that there was a lot of hatred here against Blacks , and in some states there still is, but these days there is a a lot of discrimination against whites, particularly middle-aged white men. I've seen it myself. Two wrongs don't make a right, but if your going to go on about right-wing hatred etc, you're preaching to the choir. Finally, we have a bank holiday for MLK, and we have Black History Month, Kwanza, Juneteenth etc. Is there a Robert F Kennedy day? Or a bank holiday for JFK , to name a few? Do the math and get back to me.

It always makes me laugh when the persecuted white middle class American gets brought out. One because it's ridiculous, and two because it's a kick back against ...what? Humour us and explain this discrimination for us.

Archived