onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

£10 charge to visit A&E?

For Us All

But you posted this about UKIP "they have had to adjust their policies through years of learning themselves by talking to the public on what is popular and what isn't" so obvioulsy you think UKIP is just adjusting its policies to reflect what is popular..they don't have a stance, ethos etc just populist polices.

Err..no they haven't

I think they'll get lots of votes but very few seats..not enough to make any diffeence anyway..but we shall see

They are capable of getting 5m votes,which is approximately five times the number of votes they got in the last general election, which will be a tremendous achievement,however like you say it may not guarantee many seats.

Advert

As I said in a prior post, the figures were from hhs.gov.

Look here for a summary: http://obamacarefacts.com/sign-ups/obamacare-enrollment-numbers/

It says in the first two paragraphs that over 20m Americans now have health Ins who didn't have Health Ins before, same as the article I posted.

I hope you saw the 60 Minutes documentary on CBS on Sunday which described the attempts of the Republican Party to derail what is a genuine attempt to overhaul Healthcare, reign in costs, get more Americans covered and prevent Health Ins companies refusing insurance on existing conditions. It interviewed a guy who was treated at the Anderson Clinc in Texas for Cancer who had't got Ins and who was presented with a bill for over $87k with was paid for jointly by him and his in laws, the guy has subsequently got coverage under ObomaCare. An expert analysed the bill and commented on the upto 1000 fold mark up on some basic drugs and services like CAT scans and MRI's etc.

It also interviewed the CEO of a not for profit Hospital in Pittsburgh who made himself look a jerk as he tried to justify his $6m/year salary, 5 board members at $2m/year and over 23 executives at over $1m/year. I'm all for capitalism but such salaries at a not for profit hospital, who pays.

I didn't watch 60 minutes but I will seek the opportunity of watching it online.

Let's see what happens to healthcare in the USA, once Obamacare starts affecting levels of service. I'm already noticing it in hospitals and with family doctors. The dreaded 4 letter word "cuts" is very evident (and I don't mean surgical ones in the operating room).

My opinion of government run healthcare, whether it be Medicare or the VA in the USA, healthcare in Canada or my personal experience in the UK is, it doesn't work.

Check this out.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2015/01/11/60-minutes-just-called-obamacare-a-disaster-heres-what-they-didnt-tell-you/2/

The idea of slamming MD Anderson is unconscionable. People in the UK would love to have the level of care they provide for cancer patients.

And Brill says very clearly, "there's no way in the world we can pay for it".

They are capable of getting 5m votes,which is approximately five times the number of votes they got in the last general election, which will be a tremendous achievement,however like you say it may not guarantee many seats.

Absolutely and I have praised their achievements before..they have done remarkably well to win seats and to get the votes that they have got. Indeed i welcome that they have stimulated debate and in a sense reinvigorated politics in England in particular.

Post election even if they get few if any seats there wil be a lot of UKIP voters feeling somewhat disenfranchised and so the party's effect may well continue.

I agree, you are getting too soft ;)

There must be a way to balance it but there doesnt seem any political will to do so, its just used as a potential vote winner, we will spend X amount on the nHS etc etc.

Exactly..they need to come up with proper policies..too easy to just court popularity whilst not addressing the actual issues

BTW what did you think of my effort at poetry on Robs birthday thread, did you see it?

Oh please don't start seeking to find out how popular a post is ;)

Didn't see it actually as I was too emotionally distressed after posting my own world class effort :)

Took a look..I could get into going back and looking at someone's posts..

A really cool fellow is Rob

pride of the onevalefan mob

We give him pleasure and pain

and long may he reign

for he does an incredible job

Slightly too much toadying for my liking but it has a good rhythm to it. Your use of the term mob is quite interesting as it subconsciously brings bullying into the equation suggesting that RobF is somehow seen as the head bully by the rest of us bullies even if he does not see himself in that role. Of course you may not have meant that at all but that's what i think so it must be true ;)

Took a look..I could get into going back and looking at someone's posts..

A really cool fellow is Rob

pride of the onevalefan mob

We give him pleasure and pain

and long may he reign

for he does an incredible job

Slightly too much toadying for my liking but it has a good rhythm to it. Your use of the term mob is quite interesting as it subconsciously brings bullying into the equation suggesting that RobF is somehow seen as the head bully by the rest of us bullies even if he does not see himself in that role. Of course you may not have meant that at all but that's what i think so it must be true ;)

Well when its the head bullys birthday toadying is expected, rules by fear that one :shutup:

Check this out.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2015/01/11/60-minutes-just-called-obamacare-a-disaster-heres-what-they-didnt-tell-you/2/

The idea of slamming MD Anderson is unconscionable. People in the UK would love to have the level of care they provide for cancer patients.

And Brill says very clearly, "there's no way in the world we can pay for it".

No one is slamming MD Anderson and the care it gave but its generally accepted that Healthcare costs are spiralling out of control and something needs to be done about it, the same can be said of a University Education in the USA. As I said I support capitalism but such high salaries in a not for profit hospital doesn't sit right with me.

No one is slamming MD Anderson and the care it gave but its generally accepted that Healthcare costs are spiralling out of control and something needs to be done about it, the same can be said of a University Education in the USA. As I said I support capitalism but such high salaries in a not for profit hospital doesn't sit right with me.

I agree with most of that. The salaries are out of this world as far as I am concerned, but it's reckoned that they are what a CEO is expected to earn. In that respect, I see the same in the UK. Many would probably deny the salaries managers in the NHS earn, just like I seem to recall folks are unhappy with executive pay in local government.

I don't think the issue is individual pay, more about efficiency and accountability. In business, senior managers and executives are accountable to shareholders who are focused on their return on investment. In non-profit organizations and local government, who cares?

That's why asked about ownership of these not-for profit hospitals and remuneration.."someone" must decide pay and performance?

Not sure I can answer that fully, although I believe one major difference is that, unlike employment in for-profit organisations, not-for-profits cannot offer incentive compensation and, naturally, share options. As regards who owns the assets, t's anybody's guess, since they exist without paying property taxes or income tax, so there's an argument that the community has a stake.

On the other hand, people argue that not-for-profit hospitals offer a more balanced spread of areas of treatment, since they have no tendency to focus on the most profitable procedures and areas of treatment.

That's as much as I know.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived