onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gary Roberts-Why bother

JohnJames

Or maybe the way Gannon treated him lead him to go back on the ale?

If signing Pope was part of his undoing, that signing was down to the board and not Gannon I am lead to believe.

Rumours suggest he was back on the pop long before Pope arrived. I just think it's so sad. He has great talent but he does not appear to have the brains to appreciate what he could achieve with a little self-discipline.

Advert

Does nobody know about the Leek incident on here involving roberts and Pope? Pope got handcuffed and put into a riot van after Roberts started swinging at anyone and everyone at Elmos in the market place. Apparently the only reason Pope got away with it because Neil Baker had 'a word' with the police officers at the scene. The guy is a loosecannon. Get rid now.

Roberts needs a big kick up the **** and locking away during pre season. Make him realise that he doesn't have many options and hopefully he will be a great team player next season and inspire us to promotion.

Sadly Roberts is an alcoholic who has been to the PFA/Adams home for addicted footballers and one drink for him is always going to lead to many more. He was definitely drinking again by 24th October, what is more he was definitely taking other players (Rigg and Collins) out on serious drinking sessions by then. He has turned up for training and matches since then in a less than sober state. He seems to manage 3 months without drinking (did the same at Yeovil and Rotherham). Not sure that the down turn in Collins form and Roberts' influence aren't unconnected. I'm sure someone can get Roberts dry again for a short period, but my guess is long-term he is what he is and he will implode again. From a purely footballing point of view I think he and Griff naturally want to play in the same space on the park and I do agree with the view the team would be more balanced with one or the other and someone who will pop up with the odd goal. Heart says lovely player give him one more chance - but my head says get shot because I'm not sure this leopard will change his spots.

He's a very good player on his day but those are few and far between. Unless the new manager can control him like Micky did then I don't think he will be good for the club. With regret, I don't think he will play for the club again.

Archived