onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gary Roberts-Why bother

JohnJames

Advert

In all accounts he satrting drinking again as soon as he signed the contract and Adams was still in charge then. Roberts has huge tallent but is an Alki, he has no place in a professional football team. We do not have a big enough squad to carry him and he is a bad influence to the others.

Agree. I know that he needs "child minding" but I still feel with the right manager it can work out. I would give him another year. Some of his passing is way above league 2 level. I think he would look even better if we had forwards that were more mobile-giving him more options.

I think he could be a Championship level midfielder but hasn't got the outside lfe at present to deliver the dedication. The club need to make a judgement about him including how much he is paid relatively for what he contributes. I think the point about the forwards is dead right. With two target men back to goal even I could play it in to them. On the other hand with a quick wide player, a second striker who stretches play and more pace in the team he could be very useful indeed. :unsure:

Guest Dan Phillips

We have to keep trying, it's as simple as that. I don't want another 'wasted opportunity' like Whitaker and Davies. Yes, I know fully well you can't compare the situations, but it's the same principle in which we allow a really good player to leave for one reason or another, and then he moves to another Club, is utilised and nurtured properly, and they blossom and we end up with egg on our faces e.g. Whitaker and Davies at Chesterfield. We have such a great talent in Roberts, and all it needs is a manager with discipline running through their methods (like Adams) who can keep him in order and we'll be a much better side with the REAL Gary Roberts playing. It's a gamble worth taking imo. :)

How did you work that out? Interested to know the variables you applied to reach that equation.

The guy is a ticking timebomb who has a bit of a problem. Maybe he needs help with it but the guy is George Best in the making, just not as good.

I respect all of the, well most of the views on here but he needs sorting out. It's his choice. End of.

I would sign him on monthly contracts as he is class, however, how about FOR ONCE, a goal scoring mid fielder?

BTW, Robererts and Griff cant play together, Griff cant pass forwards and Roberts is Roberts.

I respect all of the, well most of the views on here but he needs sorting out. It's his choice. End of.

I would sign him on monthly contracts as he is class, however, how about FOR ONCE, a goal scoring mid fielder?

BTW, Robererts and Griff cant play together, Griff cant pass forwards and Roberts is Roberts.

You need one of your midfielders to get 10-15 goals a season to really push on. Oh for a Robbie Earle, Ian Taylor or even Micky Cummins.

The worst thing that happened for Roberts, is when we signed Pope, Dario often said they were each others undoing. Roberts was on the right path under Adams, tehn along came gannon and bought back his pub partner. Was the Stafford incident not warning enough!!

Let hi go and try an find a normal job, id give my left arm for hs talent, yet he wants to waste it on beer!!

He needs a minder just like a child. Not worth it, bad influence on those around him. Like I have said previously, his vices outweigh his virtues.

from what ive been told at the start of the season a family member would be with him most of the time otherwise he'd be in the pub all the time.hardliy the behaviour of a grown man let alone a pro footballer

We need to get rid. He's done nothing since Christmas. Enough managers have tried and failed to keep him off the booze - he's a lost cause and we have enough problems to sort out, without adding Roberts to the list.

Remember the stick that Gannon took when he left Roberts out of the side - maybe that was the one decision he got right !

Or maybe the way Gannon treated him lead him to go back on the ale?

If signing Pope was part of his undoing, that signing was down to the board and not Gannon I am lead to believe.

He was already on the ale well before Pope came....he was back on the Ale well before Adams left. Cannot make excuses for Roberts, he has done it before and give him aother chance he will do it again. He has to be released, no question in my mind.

Archived