onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Quartet sign: Johnson, Morris, Dodds & Birchall

Va-LEE-ant

Agree that contracts finish at the end of June not the beginning. Loft and Chilvers are probably on holiday. We need Chilvers for his organisational ability and positional play. Might be possibility of a coaching role if Page leaves.

Advert

Excellent news in my opinion. I like to see our own youth products being considered good enough to have a chance of making it and I also think Dodds will be better suited to L1 than L2 as he may get just a touch more space on the ball. As for Birchall, he's got enough quality - when fully fit - to play in a L1 promotion side, so, get working on him Micky!!

I gave my own reasoning as to why in my previous post.

He's very capable with the ball but doesn't handle lots of very close attention particularly well & I just think L1 teams are more concerned with what they're doing themselves than most L2 sides, who often concern themselves more with stopping the opposition playing, which is why he may get a little more space with the ball and be able to use it better than he has in L2.

I could, of course, be wrong!

As for Calvin Andrew, he worked hard enough but lacked any quality on the ball which is why he looks set to end up in non-league to me.

I gave my own reasoning as to why in my previous post.

He's very capable with the ball but doesn't handle lots of very close attention particularly well & I just think L1 teams are more concerned with what they're doing themselves than most L2 sides, who often concern themselves more with stopping the opposition playing, which is why he may get a little more space with the ball and be able to use it better than he has in L2.

I could, of course, be wrong!

As for Calvin Andrew, he worked hard enough but lacked any quality on the ball which is why he looks set to end up in non-league to me.

So you think he's going have more time on the ball against wolves and sheff utd then he would against Barnet and Acc Stanley?

I see what your saying but I think its more to do with where he gets played (he gets closed down more when he is up front) as opposed to the type of opposition he up against

Not sure how I feel about Dodds being here next season. At times he has looked a class above League Two, but those times were sporadic. I guess he'll only be a squad player and he seems to be well thought of in the dressing room and throughout the club.

Least notable now, but might be most important in the future is Tom Morris, I rate him and think he'll make the grade. If Jones gets an injury, I'm going to predict he'll find it hard to get back in the side if T.M. gets a chance... and that's no disrespect to Jones at all.

Dodds is a bit of an enigma for next season. As Beechy says the odd moment has shown the quality is undoubtedly there. The Fleetwood 2nd goal being the obvious one. Admittedly we were 4-1 up at the time and at that stage you can afford to try the odd thing but I don't know too many players in the lower leagues who could have pulled that off.

League Two can be a bit kick and rush at times and hoof ball from some teams. Teams like Wolves you would hope won't be diving in with agricultural challenges(ala the bloke for Accy after 5 minutes), if Doddsy gets time on the ball we know he can produce a telling pass or a cracking finish. At the very least imo he deserves a chance, he was a good servant to the club through League Two and like McCombe perhaps stuck with us when he could have buggered off at times. McCombe has now chosen to move on, I hope Dodds can make the grade!:yes:

Just been on radio stoke, Adam Yates has now signed.

Yes, he's signed a 2 year deal according to The Sentinel. I don't agree with him being given another 2 year deal (he was initially offered 1 year) as I'm unconvinced whether he can cope with the step up to League 1, as despite a much improved last 6 months or so, over the previous 3 and half years he looked a very average League 2 player for much of the time.

Archived