onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Woolwich stabbing/machete attack

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

The religion doesn't, no religion does unless the individual or collaborated group feel the need to twist the core of the faith, any faith to their ideological objectives. Go into any school where the surrounding area is diverse, it works fine. The folk who spout this vile are usually folk who have had no interaction with the group they dislike.

Ironically I spent fifteen minutes talking to the older, grandfather Muslim bloke who lives up the road from me just as I cycled into my road (just before I switched on the news). Generally chatting about families, children, school, weather, etc. Why can't people just get one or at least realise that there are vile people and groups in all walks of life.

The point, and problem, is that the religion does not have to be twisted, there are already many parts which do the job just fine without any alteration. Why deny this when it's in black and white? It's like saying there is no shark in Jaws and expecting people to take it seriously. In doing so it is no detriment to the grandfather you were speaking to, or anyone like him so I don't understand the problem?

Admittedly, there are also people who will twist some of the more vague statements, but the problem is that a mixture of these two scenarios has become embedded in a portion of Islamic culture and to deny this is a head-in-the-sand approach.

As much I think it's great that you've got good intentions, it is not helpful to keep trying to paint Islamic extremists as a tiny, tiny minority who have got it all wrong - There is a problem and it's extremely unhelpful that when there is a growing culture that stifles debate on this issue by casually dishing out the racism card when it isn't justified.

It isn't just knuckleheads expressing this opinion, as is often portrayed - check out the comments from the Oxford Iman the other week regarding the sex ring scandal (an issue which was allowed to happen longer than it should because people, police included, did not dare care tackle for fear of being branded racist) and comments from Lawrence Krauss recently following a debate he attended in the UK - We are too scared to discuss the reality of the situation!

The point, and problem, is that the religion does not have to be twisted, there are already many parts which do the job just fine without any alteration. Why deny this when it's in black and white? It's like saying there is no shark in Jaws. In doing so it is no detriment to the grandfather you were speaking to, or anyone like him so I don't understand the problem?

Admittedly, there are also people who will twist some of the more vague statements, but the problem is that a mixture of these two scenarios has become embedded in a portion of Islamic culture and to deny this is a head-in-the-sand approach.

As much I think it's great that you've got good intentions, it is not helpful to keep trying to paint Islamic extremists as a tiny, tiny minority who have got it all wrong - There is a problem and it's extremely unhelpful that when there is a growing culture that stifles debate on this issue by casually dishing out the racism card when it isn't justified.

It isn't just knuckleheads expressing this opinion, as is often portrayed - check out the comments from the Oxford Iman the other week regarding the sex ring scandal (an issue which was allowed to happen longer than it should because people, police included, did not dare care tackle for fear of being branded racist) and comments from Lawrence Krauss recently following a debate he attended in the UK - We are too scared to discuss the reality of the situation!

Religion shouldn't be exempt from question just like any other person or group. The term 'respect' is often used to argue that it should be out on a pedestal which is wrong. But it also shouldn't be used as an excuse to demonise and scapegoat a whole ethnic group.

Can't remember anyone ever beheading one of their soldiers in broad daylight in Wellington?:unsure:

So we were a great country until today? Also here has been plenty of murders in New Zealand. Some terrible ones. Does the fact it was a soldier make it worse? Even if it did had it, you wouldn't be happy as they no longer have the death penalty.

Religion shouldn't be exempt from question just like any other person or group. The term 'respect' is often used to argue that it should be out on a pedestal which is wrong. But it also shouldn't be used as an excuse to demonise and scapegoat a whole ethnic group.

Yep, I agree. I think that Islam does get shielded a hell of a lot though. If it was a non-religious group who preached the same things then then you'd find a very different reaction.

The last point is spot on also - I think it is the fear that this is what is happening, often incorrectly, that makes people, like Birdy maybe, be so overly defensive and in denial.

It is an extremely small minority (just like the RIRA), otherwise we would have attack week after week. One bad incident overshadows the millions of good natured, warm community relationships we have with different people. This may appear crass, but there is a massive over reaction to this story as awful as it is.

Archived