onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

jim gannon's new career

CBarberpvfc87

Advert

I couldn't stand the guy when he was hear and at the time would have found it hilarious to know that 3 years down the line how he has fallen from grace, however having read the tweets and seen the pics on line I cant help feel a little sorry for the guy. At least he is humble enough to get off his backside and earn a proper living

Gannon had two major problems when he came here:

1) His "Bull in a China shop" approach to changing the squad/tactics etc

2) Exodus

We can't say his summisation of the squad was wrong, a lot have moved on. Robers for example was eventually bombed out by Adams. Tactic wise he was correct, we played 4321 at the beginning of the season when we were scoring for fun. Player wise he orignally signed Tom Pope, he signed Jay O'Shea.

Would I have him back? No. I do think he's a bit mental. But, he did have the right idea at times, he just went the wrong way about it. People will obviously bring up the signing of Exodus as a reason for him being rubbish, but look at some of Mickys signings; Fraser, McDonald, Murphy etc, not every signing works out.

He has the top coaching badges and must have something about him. Unfortunatly for him, his man mangement skills are sadly lacking. Now, if you could compare the best parts of Gannon and Adams, I think you'd have a hell of a manager on your hands.

Gannon had two major problems when he came here:

1) His "Bull in a China shop" approach to changing the squad/tactics etc

2) Exodus

We can't say his summisation of the squad was wrong, a lot have moved on. Robers for example was eventually bombed out by Adams. Tactic wise he was correct, we played 4321 at the beginning of the season when we were scoring for fun. Player wise he orignally signed Tom Pope, he signed Jay O'Shea.

Would I have him back? No. I do think he's a bit mental. But, he did have the right idea at times, he just went the wrong way about it. People will obviously bring up the signing of Exodus as a reason for him being rubbish, but look at some of Mickys signings; Fraser, McDonald, Murphy etc, not every signing works out.

He has the top coaching badges and must have something about him. Unfortunatly for him, his man mangement skills are sadly lacking. Now, if you could compare the best parts of Gannon and Adams, I think you'd have a hell of a manager on your hands.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I'm guessing you've been 'thumbs-downed' for daring to suggest that Adams makes mistakes, or for not suggesting that Gannon was clearly Satan.

In some ways Gannon was a far more sophisticated manager than Adams, but in other ways, well, he seemed oblivious to the problems that came about through his personal approach to things. However, even though he had some good ideas on the pitch, I don't suppose we can ever forget Pope on the left-wing, Geohaghon as a deep-lying midfielder - there were some strange ideas as well. His interactions with people just destroyed his value as a manager though, to the point where he was just poisonous.

I think that's why I feel sorry for him, I imagine he's still thinking that other people are the problem, and that's why he's been sacked from Stockport, that's why he was sacked by Vale, etc.

Like the other posters have said, time to move on - I take no pleasure seeing some of the churlish comments on here. He didn't work for us, and was gone pretty quickly. No long term damage done - look where we are now. The sort of person who thinks it is hilarious that he is now selling cars needs to spend a bit of time out of work to realise why needs must. Terry McDermott was flipping hamburgers at St James Park until Keegan saw merit in getting him back in to football - and I have no doubt someone will take a punt on Gannon as a manager or coach at some stage. Good luck to him - he is no longer an issue for the Vale.

Mad as a box of frogs and his intelligence on paper was outweighed by his deficits in managing people. That said, he signed Pope, gave Morsy his chance, had some good spells at other clubs and sounds like he's discovered the humility to get a proper job rather than lolloping around at home, so good luck to him.

The Board succumbed to player power when Gannon was here and it took a long time to put it right. Bratt & co appointed him and then failed to back him. Wildes has fully backed Adams over Burge but plenty of Vale fans were moaning about Adams at Bristol Rovers. Many very good managers get sacked - every day news and Adams has been sacked several times in his career. Get over it and deal with the present.

Archived