onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Atmosphere

Samwelo

A few seasons ago when we were in a similar position to now, but earlier on in the season Vale Park on a Saturday afternoon and even Tuesday night would be bouncing. This season even though we are far better off, the atmosphere has been flat. I think this ties onto what Micky said yesterday about moaners and negativity. I just don't understand why. There should be cheering, singing and us urging the team on. I guess this thread is a bit of a call for some positivity tomorrow night and a good atmosphere if possible. If we can do it away why not at home?

Advert

A few seasons ago when we were in a similar position to now, but earlier on in the season Vale Park on a Saturday afternoon and even Tuesday night would be bouncing. This season even though we are far better off, the atmosphere has been flat. I think this ties onto what Micky said yesterday about moaners and negativity. I just don't understand why. There should be cheering, singing and us urging the team on. I guess this thread is a bit of a call for some positivity tomorrow night and a good atmosphere if possible. If we can do it away why not at home?

Think the diffenrence now is that between then and now a lot of water has gone under the bridge. All the protests and upheaval have put a lot of people off and put a real downer on our fanbase. Think its actually gonna take a promotion to get the atmosphere back properly again. Most fans are probably thinking they've seen it all before aswell and its gonna be just same old Vale bottling it again just like in 2004, 2006, 2010 (playoffs) and the season after when we were top at christmas.

Think the diffenrence now is that between then and now a lot of water has gone under the bridge. All the protests and upheaval have put a lot of people off and put a real downer on our fanbase. Think its actually gonna take a promotion to get the atmosphere back properly again. Most fans are probably thinking they've seen it all before aswell and its gonna be just same old Vale bottling it again just like in 2004, 2006, 2010 (playoffs) and the season after when we were top at christmas.

Bottled it in 2004? That's a bit harsh. We had the most unbelieveable run in and only missed out on the playoffs because Swindon and Hartlepool might as well have all sat down in the centre circle and waited for the final whistle. In 2006 we simply weren't good enough to be in the League One playoffs, carried throughout the season by Akpo and Leon. 2010 was a major dissapointment but in hindsight we weren't that good. How many of the players from then would get in our side now?

Bottled it in 2004? That's a bit harsh. We had the most unbelieveable run in and only missed out ont he playoffs because Swindon and Hartlepool might as well have all sat down in the centre circle and waited for the final whistle.

Was it 2004 when we let a 3-0 lead slip at home to Swindon and lost at home to Hartlepool 2-5!

No away fans = no atmosphere. That is why we have to get out of this poxy league. There are several clubs in League 1 who would bring a decent following, although of course the Championship is where we really want to be.

It's not just a Vale problem though. Years of ticket costs spiralling, over-surveillance of fans, shafted kick-off times, all-seater grounds, gentrifying of football etc have all had a major effect on atmosphere. For some reason, many clubs think fans want a family-friendly atmosphere where you can sing club-approved chants whilst sitting down. (see yesterday's muppet-fest at Wembley). This has had the effect of pricing out and discouraging the younger, more vocal support at many clubs.

Anyway, I'm convinced the atmosphere will improve if/when we go up.

Bottled it in 2004? That's a bit harsh. We had the most unbelieveable run in and only missed out on the playoffs because Swindon and Hartlepool might as well have all sat down in the centre circle and waited for the final whistle. In 2006 we simply weren't good enough to be in the League One playoffs' date=' carried throughout the season by Akpo and Leon. 2010 was a major dissapointment but in hindsight we weren't that good. How many of the players from then would get in our side now?[/quote']

Yeah but despite of the facts most Vale fans would see it as Vale missing out yet again as per. Most probably feel that it will probably happen again simply because this is Vale and we seem cursed in some way.

Was it 2004 when we let a 3-0 lead slip at home to Swindon and lost at home to Hartlepool 2-5!

Ahh true yeah, both avoidable. Mind you that Plymouth side, especially Friio was good, million miles from where they are now.

oops just noticed you said Hartlepool and Swindon not Plymouth, mind you we did lose 5-2 at Home to Plymouth aswell that season I memory serves me correct.

Ahh true yeah, both avoidable. Mind you that Plymouth side, especially Friio was good, million miles from where they are now.

oops just noticed you said Hartlepool and Swindon not Plymouth, mind you we did lose 5-2 at Home to Plymouth aswell that season I memory serves me correct.

Ah, was that also the same season we lost 5-1 at home to Plymouth, they were good that day.

No away fans = no atmosphere. That is why we have to get out of this poxy league. There are several clubs in League 1 who would bring a decent following, although of course the Championship is where we really want to be.

It's not just a Vale problem though. Years of ticket costs spiralling, over-surveillance of fans, shafted kick-off times, all-seater grounds, gentrifying of football etc have all had a major effect on atmosphere. For some reason, many clubs think fans want a family-friendly atmosphere where you can sing club-approved chants whilst sitting down. (see yesterday's muppet-fest at Wembley). This has had the effect of pricing out and discouraging the younger, more vocal support at many clubs.

Anyway, I'm convinced the atmosphere will improve if/when we go up.

This made me laugh, the only muppets we get at the Vale are like Statler and Waldorf moaning their bags off.

The crowds havent been great which hasnt helped, with the run we have had this season I expected far better crowds BUT the Ryder thing wont have helped ST sales as much as it could have and a lot of fans were driving away under MOLD.

Same thing with the negativity... it winds me up how negative our fans are and I totally agree with Adams frustrations but it is understandable after what we have been through, the downer of this season is not as many people have enjoyed it as much as we should for the above reasons.

Lets be honest anyone looking at the table would say "Gills and Vale look good as up" but you will hardly find any Vale fan that is convinced whereas had it been Gills and Rotherham instead we would be saying "them two are about up".

All the scars from the recent seasons of pain... but a promotion will be the start of the cure.

Plus the atmosphere hasnt helped with no real big away followings (Rotherham brining 700 is the biggest isnt it?) and no real local derbies/rivalries as in recent seasons like Crewe, Shrewsbury, Bury.

Next season could be awesome atmosphere wise if we entice more fans back and with loads of local games/rivalries in League One waiting for us and much bigger clubs there.

Archived