onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Seasons over: What Next? Manager next season?

grebovale

The players have to take most of the responsibility for me. They showed under Adams that they can do the business, but the moment he left for Sheff United it seems the players just couldn't be bothered for the majority. Everybody wanted rid of Gannon, and I think we all expected results and performances to improve once he'd gone, but they simply haven't.

We need a lot of players in the summer if possible, mostly in midfield and up front. Our wingers, Haldane and Rob Taylor, are far too inconsistent, we don't score enough goals from central midfield and the two Richards up front must be the most predictable pairing in the football league.

Advert

The board could have used the compensation money from Adams to bring in two quality loan players as Mike Thompstone begged them too.

The board could have accepted Mo's bid in December. With the January window, money and a good off the field team too, we would have already been promoted with along with Chesterfield.

The buck stops with Bratt & Jackson. They made the decisions, they have refused investment, they have refused to their own money in. They are to blame, the board must go.

Disagree slightly as if Mo had given his money to Jim Gannon we would have a team full of Ex's!

Who's to blame - Gannon, Bratt and the players

What next - EGM asap to save our club

Manager next season - Aidy / Coleman if it's Mo in charge. Should of got Knill or Allen when they were available.

Well, we all know it wont be Grew, so who do you want?

Maybe more to the point, who can we attract?

With the current board and the lack of faith in them its going to be hard to pay any kind of decent manager yet with a takeover going through there would be money there to pay a decent gaffer and renewed enthusiasm.

It seems from who i speak to that the majority would want John Coleman.

Whoever it is and whoever is chairman i just hope that they get it right. :yes:

Steve McPhee just been mentioned on the MA pole thread. Not saying yes or no but an interesting one to mull over. Bit young, but learning from Holloway gotta be a plus. Great player (and leader) but has he got the UEFA badges etc ?

Steve McPhee just been mentioned on the MA pole thread. Not saying yes or no but an interesting one to mull over. Bit young, but learning from Holloway gotta be a plus. Great player (and leader) but has he got the UEFA badges etc ?

Can he use a computor and play good video's?

Will he know how to play the 4,3,2,1 system?

Who's to blame? That is the question.

Firstly Gary Speed for taking the Wales job which lighted the match that blew a whole in our season. Without doubt this was the catalyst that started our downfall as Adams was always going to take the Sheffield United job if offered. So I suppose within that, part of the blame has to go to Sean O'Driscoll at Doncaster for not taking the Sheffield United job as he was offered it first and had he taken it, Adams would have stayed (for the time being).

The above though are incidentals as to the real blame. I have surprised myself by not laying the main blame at Gannon's feet. Yes he did have a part particularly for causing unrest at the club at the wrong time. However, looking overall at the failure of other managers like Grew,Sinnott and Glover to get anything out of more or less the same bunch of players over the last 3 years, can we really blame Gannon because he could not get anything like a promotion side out of them?

The players obviously take some blame to. Partly for the way they acted when Gannon was manager. Yes Gannon should not have been our manager after Adams but they should have overcome this and played for the club and fans not their egos. The other part of blame I attribute to the players is just their complete lack of confidence on the pitch. As Adams said, they even had no confidence when they were top of the league. If we are to be successful in the future, this needs to change. That IMO will mean a drastic change in the personnel in the squad and getting in "leaders" on the pitch particularly in the heart of defence and midfield.

And so to my final lay of the blame and the most significant. This will not be a surprise to many as I am sure these will be near the top of the tree of blame for most other fans - The Board of Port Vale Football Club.

Why? Again 2 main reasons. The first for picking Gannon as our manager after Adams when he was clearly the wrong type with the squad we had at that time. That added to how Gannon acted overall, ended stability both on and off the pitch. The main though the lack of investment in getting players in when we needed them. Everyone knew in the Autumn we needed 3 quality players for the last third of the pitch. I am sure Adams tried to get these in

and possibly Gannon to. However the Board just did not back the managers with the necessary finance to do get these much needed acquisitions. This is all the galling because they had an option of doing this through offers on the table from people like Mike Newton and particularly Mo Chaudry. We all know why they did and still do choose not to. In the end it is this complete pig ignorance and self-centred attitude that has cost the club the chance of promotion success. My worry is if they continue, they will take it to the next stream of actual possible relegation because on form at present that is where we are heading next season.

Great player and leader? Really?

He had 1 decent season for us and practicially spent the rest of his career crocked .....I don't think we have enough to go on.

We have got one of the biggest budgets in the division, yet a squad of average players, how does that work?

How much of the budget has been / is being consumed by paying off ex-players & managers? I suspect the current players' and coaches wages don't add up to one of the biggest budgets.

As for the current bunch, I think we have a real mixed bag of some who are good enough to get promoted from this division, some who are really mid-table L2 standard and some who are plainly short of what's required. Crucially, as Grew said after the Stockport game, there are few who have the self motivation to succeed. Most of them need a strong manager such as Adams who can use the right balance of carrot and stick to get them to perform. A good example of this is the defensive record; hardly conceded a goal before Gillingham away then as soon as they knew Adams was off they've hardly kept a clean sheet. We've always had a problem scoring so as soon as we could no longer grind out a 1-0 win or a 0-0 away we haven't picked up many points.

All in all the players have a lot to answer for in not making the play offs BUT the appointment of Gannon was probably the biggest factor. You can't expect to have a raving loony in charge without everything going pear shaped.

Possibly one of the greatest strikers in Welsh history and with the Passion to match. I would bet a small fortune that he would emulate what MA did when he was here. Saunders has just scraped into the bsp playoffs with Wrexham, a club that has been in the wilderness for a long time with very little money. What are the chances of him coming here if Mo gets in? Saunders is in the Mark Hughes mould and I am pretty sure he would have the man management skills needed to lift vale's players since MA left.

I once worked at keele services and spoke to Dean Saunders when he was out of work and I asked Dean 'When you coming play at the vale!' Dean replied 'What you mean player manager?' Ever since that day I think he has been destined to work at vale park. I think he would be ten times better than Gannon!!!!! Thoughts?

Wouldn't be the worst choice in the world but inexperianced in management and he would be a huge gamble. A manager proven in the football league would be a safer option.

If Mo comes in we'll have the money to get a decent name in the Horton/Adams mould.

Archived