onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

How do you rate this season (so far)

TheJoker

Advert

Where is the poll?

Anyhow, I am thoroughly disappointed with the season to be honest. It is unforgivable that we have lost 6 games and are only 2nd in a league I expected us to walkover. At the start of the season with the club in admin, with one of the lowest budgets in the league, losing our 20 goal a season striker and Micky having to beg players to stay despite their contracts being void due to the KR fiasco....I fully expected us to win every game, win the league cup and at least reach the final of the FA cup. Therefore, I reserve my right to be disappointed and if we fluke promotion then I will celebrate the teams flukiness whilst refusing to attribute any of the success to Micky.

The above is what some fans sound like right now.....

I'm a bit down about it all.

Adams constantly plays people out of position, especially the wingers who, trough his complete tactical ineptness, he plays on the wrong wing. What a fool.

No way should we be losing to the likes of Morcombe and Fleetwood.

If we had a decent, tactically aware, manager and better quality and more consistent players, we'd have been promoted already, which is exactly what I expected us to do when we started the season in administration.

I also think we should be in the final of the league cup. If Bradford can do it why haven't we? Not good enough. Adams out.

Where is the poll?

Anyhow, I am thoroughly disappointed with the season to be honest. It is unforgivable that we have lost 6 games and are only 2nd in a league I expected us to walkover. At the start of the season with the club in admin, with one of the lowest budgets in the league, losing our 20 goal a season striker and Micky having to beg players to stay despite their contracts being void due to the KR fiasco....I fully expected us to win every game, win the league cup and at least reach the final of the FA cup. Therefore, I reserve my right to be disappointed and if we fluke promotion then I will celebrate the teams flukiness whilst refusing to attribute any of the success to Micky.

SPOT ON!!!!!!

It's a disgrace we are out of all cups so soon.....

.....it's also embarrassing that we still play in Black and White while every other club has a coloured kit....we need to get in the 21st Century!!!

Season so far:-

Results/ Posiiton v expectation 97 per cent Magnificent,

Goalkeepers 94 per cent Neal has been a revelation, barely any mistakes, commanding, inspirational and good enough for at least one division higher and maybe two. The single game where Johnson has played he was man of the match and very unlucky not to feature more, hopefully we can tie things up and give him a couple more games at the end.

Defence 81 per cent In the last 5 games, I would have put 90 per cent plus, as the addition of Jones and Purse has made an already good defence into a truly excellent one. Would like to have seena little more of Davis, and special mention to Yates who has improved significenly this season.

Midfield pairings 73 per cent Tricky area, generally good but the attacking formation sometimes means 2 against 3 and we are under too much pressure. Loft has been better in midfield than defence, but could do with a goal or two. Burge is one of the highlights of the season. Morsy's season is still getting back on track after his unfortunate sending-off, and one hopes his future becomes more settled as he can still be a great Vale player in the Andy Porter mould.

Wingers 78 per cent Magnificent on the early season lighter pitches, and still capapble of creating havoc but slightly less effective over the last dozen or so games. Two great signings though. As with Davis, would like to have seen Lloyd play a little more.

Strikers 95 per cent Tom Pope - revelation. I wont be unkind and quote those who wanted him shipped out last summer, remember all the 'Where will our goals come from' and Pope wont score 10 etc etc..... Gave us one of the greatest Vale days ever when he rammed 4 goals past Fattys Rotherham, and has delighted and delivered. Jury still out on Hughes, but he has scored a few already, time will tell on his future. Same for Andrew, subject of some very unfair early criticism, and I also feel a little sorry for Williamson whose goals per minutes played ratio must actually be not far short of Pope's. I think Williamson could still have a great future at Vale.

Other (squad) players 61 per cent It seems very crual to include Dodds here, but he isn't playing. Louis has produced some sublime moments, Fleetwood away was Dodds at his best and he continues to divide opinion. It will be interesting to see what teh rest of the season brings. Shuker has contributed more than he is given credit for, but I wonder if he will be with us in a years time. Taylor ahsn't had a great season and I would expect him to move on. Kingsley James should be kept though.

Manager 88 per cent Yes, it is true he still has not won anything yet, but has taken a broken club to the edge of promotion. Get across that line Micky and even the sceptical few wont be able to moan. The vast majority of us, I'd guess 90 per cent plus still say 'In Micky We Trust'

New owners 98 per cent Have really lifted the place, and shown what can be done. Time to let go of the past and revel in their ambition and plans to make us great again. Fantastic communication, nice sense of humour and all I can say is 'More, more more' please guys.

Fans 100 per cent for nearly all and 0 per cent for half-a-dozen who put their own selfish feelings above the club.

OVF 96 per cent Still the best Club website in the land, gets better as time goes on. Where else can you find such a wealth of detail, debate, stats, info, pics, features, Barry's amazingly generous competitions and much more. A big thanks you to all those involved.

Local media 38 per cent Despite loving Lee Blakeman's enthusiasm, Cullerton's incisive comments and good match coverage, both Radio Stoke and sometimes the Sentinel make some shocking errors. Dozens of examples could be quoted but commentators continaully referring to the opposition by the wrong team name, then talking of 'Pope's goal drought' (not now but earlier in the season) when he hadnt scored for just 3 games spring to mind. Shockingly amateur at times, more research needed. Praise and Grumble needs revamping too. Martin T hasn't really impressed me greatly, some good contributions though and hsi background work has been better than his journalism. Not sure what has happened to Ray Williams, whose anecdotes are endaring, but he sometimes sounds like he is a bit distant emotionally from the club. He can be a bit over-critical at times.

Programme 85 per cent Still great value and full of good features.

Club Shop 70 per cent Great service despite lack of great merchandise- making a good job out of a difficult situation. Hopefully they will get the chance to realise their full potential in the summer and next season.

That's plenty from me. I'm well satisfied so far, and if we have a setback or two then it is vital to keep our nerve and see the lads across the finish line - we have some very hard games at home, nearly all against the other top sides but have been frighteningly good away so another 17 or 18 points from 14 games should secure the dream. Yes, we can still get top place too if things go well.

Goalkeepers 94 per cent Neal has been a revelation, barely any mistakes, commanding, inspirational and good enough for at least one division higher and maybe two. The single game where Johnson has played he was man of the match and very unlucky not to feature more, hopefully we can tie things up and give him a couple more games at the end.

Defence 81 per cent In the last 5 games, I would have put 90 per cent plus, as the addition of Jones and Purse has made an already good defence into a truly excellent one. Would like to have seena little more of Davis, and special mention to Yates who has improved significenly this season.

Midfield pairings 73 per cent Tricky area, generally good but the attacking formation sometimes means 2 against 3 and we are under too much pressure. Loft has been better in midfield than defence, but could do with a goal or two. Burge is one of the highlights of the season. Morsy's season is still getting back on track after his unfortunate sending-off, and one hopes his future becomes more settled as he can still be a great Vale player in the Andy Porter mould.

Wingers 78 per cent Magnificent on the early season lighter pitches, and still capapble of creating havoc but slightly less effective over the last dozen or so games. Two great signings though. As with Davis, would like to have seen Lloyd play a little more.

Strikers 95 per cent Tom Pope - revelation. I wont be unkind and quote those who wanted him shipped out last summer, remember all the 'Where will our goals come from' and Pope wont score 10 etc etc..... Gave us one of the greatest Vale days ever when he rammed 4 goals past Fattys Rotherham, and has delighted and delivered. Jury still out on Hughes, but he has scored a few already, time will tell on his future. Same for Andrew, subject of some very unfair early criticism, and I also feel a little sorry for Williamson whose goals per minutes played ratio must actually be not far short of Pope's. I think Williamson could still have a great future at Vale.

Other (squad) players 61 per cent It seems very crual to include Dodds here, but he isn't playing. Louis has produced some sublime moments, Fleetwood away was Dodds at his best and he continues to divide opinion. It will be interesting to see what teh rest of the season brings. Shuker has contributed more than he is given credit for, but I wonder if he will be with us in a years time. Taylor ahsn't had a great season and I would expect him to move on. Kingsley James should be kept though.

Manager 88 per cent Yes, it is true he still has not won anything yet, but has taken a broken club to the edge of promotion. Get across that line Micky and even the sceptical few wont be able to moan. The vast majority of us, I'd guess 90 per cent plus still say 'In Micky We Trust'

New owners 98 per cent Have really lifted the place, and shown what can be done. Time to let go of the past and revel in their ambition and plans to make us great again. Fantastic communication, nice sense of humour and all I can say is 'More, more more' please guys.

Fans 100 per cent for nearly all and 0 per cent for half-a-dozen who put their own selfish feelings above the club.

OVF 96 per cent Still the best Club website in the land, gets better as time goes on. Where else can you find such a wealth of detail, debate, stats, info, pics, features, Barry's amazingly generous competitions and much more. A big thanks you to all those involved.

Local media 38 per cent Despite loving Lee Blakeman's enthusiasm, Cullerton's incisive comments and good match coverage, both Radio Stoke and sometimes the Sentinel make some shocking errors. Dozens of examples could be quoted but commentators continaully referring to the opposition by the wrong team name, then talking of 'Pope's goal drought' (not now but earlier in the season) when he hadnt scored for just 3 games spring to mind. Shockingly amateur at times, more research needed. Praise and Grumble needs revamping too. Martin T hasn't really impressed me greatly, some good contributions though and hsi background work has been better than his journalism. Not sure what has happened to Ray Williams, whose anecdotes are endaring, but he sometimes sounds like he is a bit distant emotionally from the club. He can be a bit over-critical at times.

Club Shop 70 per cent Great service despite lack of great merchandise- making a good job out of a difficult situation. Hopefully they will get the chance to realise their full potential in the summer and next season.

That's plenty from me. I'm well satisfied so far, and if we have a setback or two then it is vital to keep our nerve and see the lads across the finish line - we have some very hard games at home, nearly all against the other top sides but have been frighteningly good away so another 17 or 18 points from 14 games should secure the dream. Yes, we can still get top place too if things go well.

Er, what he said!........:yes::D

Where is the poll?

The above is what some fans sound like right now.....

I havnt seen any fan sound like that....

Well said that man. will be a great season if we win promotion but if we fail we.ve had some good days and watched a decent 4th division teamm

Well said that man. will be a great season if we win promotion but if we fail we.ve had some good days and watched a decent 4th division teamm

We can not fail. We have been backed and allowed to make signings. League one is derby central next season with some 8 to 10 k gates to be had.

We just need to get out of the traps at home quicker. The fans are not to blame we put no pressure on the team. We often sing we are port vale we will score when we want following another mediocre first half.

This season is ageing me more than many recent ones.....I cannot wait for the next game and the weeks are flying by.

At the start of the season I did wonder wether we would finish it, now I almost can't wait for it to end!

I'd guess that somehow the stress of possible disappointment is outweighing the joy of a great season, but at the risk of interfering, I'd really urge you Fred to try and get as much enjoyment as is humanly possible out of the current situation.

Seasons like this - you wont need me to tell you - are rare indeed. Despite the odd setback, almost always at home - when can you last remember feeling that there was very little chance of Vale losing an away game, even against the best opposition.

Even against Sheffield United in the FA Cup we were desperately unlucky and worried them before they got their injury time goals, and only ONE single game since the first game at Accrington has seen a Vale away defeat - mainly due to a disputed sending-off.

So there is no reason why we shouldn't pick up 9,10 or even more away points from the remaining six away games. My tiny concern is the home games, nearly all of which have opposition that profile the same as the teams that have come to Vale Park and won - decent top half that will battle and play on the break.

If we do get 10 away points though we only really need to win 2, draw 2 and can even lose 3 of the home games (and surely we can do that much or better?) which would still give us 81 points and that will probably be enough.

I'm probably wrong and we will win 5 at home and lose 4 away now, but I don't think so.

For added reassurance, look at our improved defence - just one goal conceded in the last 5 games, and I would expect another 5 or 6 clean sheets before the end of the season, maybe more.

So lap it up, let's all revel in our success. I do admit though, that I will also feel a whole lot better if we could beat Exeter and effectively eliminate them completely as a threat by opening up a 14-point lead over them.:yes:

.....it's also embarrassing that we still play in Black and White while every other club has a coloured kit....we need to get in the 21st Century!!!

its obvious why we play in black and white. A Black and white licence is cheaper than a colour one. We are cash strapped Vale after all and still in admin!!

Oh no that was only the first half of the season.

Archived