onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale 0 - Chesterfield 2 - Post Match Comments

Caz or caz123

Advert

Awful. That's the only way I can describe what I just watched. There were too many problems all over the pitch for me

1. Midfield - When we play the formation that we do with 2 wingers, we need more in the midfield. Today, James and Burge were basically in line with the back four at times. No-one made killer passes or tried to push forward. When the front two managed to head the ball on there was no attacking midfielder there to pick the ball up. Nor was there a non-defensive midfielder present when we cleared the ball. We lost the the second ball far too many times because we just hoofed the ball forward. Dodds links the attack and the midfield well, bring him back I say. He's clever when he starts and if he goes missing is when we bring on either Williamson or another midfielder.

2. Tactics - For me, Adams got in wrong today. I also feel that if he doesn't get it right straight away then there is no plan B. I love Mickey, I think he's done a cracking job under the circumstances, HOWEVER he substitutions are strange for one. For example - I'm a fan of Dodds but coming off the bench he offers little as opposed to Williamson. Secondly, why play Two big target men up top together. Furthermore why is there no pace at the back. I don't want to question him but I am just so bewildered...

3. Wingers - Both Vincent and Myrie-Williams have gone off the boil of late. We know what they can do. They have been brilliant so far. But even when they play bad we don't really have the option of replacing them. We can't really put Yates or Taylor at full back because of them as that would leave us too open with 2 attacking full backs and 2 non defensive wingers. My only suggestion would be to put Yates at left back and Loft at left midfield for a few games, as I think that would be a much more balanced left wing. In January we need to get more competition on the wings I think...

4.Centre Halves - McDonald and McCombe are both far too slow. We've said this for ages now. Chilvers doesn't solve the problem either. That's the most obvious point. Second, if you don't know how to mark Marc Richards after 5 seasons then that is really, really poor. I'm not sure which one I'd keep if we got a pacey centre back in either. McCombe is more consistent and better in the air but McDonald has better distribution, and makes more last ditch tackles.

5. Strikers - Andrew should be cover for Pope. As someone rightly stated on the radio 'why bring in a striker who can't score to play alongside a striker who is scoring, but is stopped by the new one'. Like I said as cover he is ideal but to play alongside Pope is suicide. They are far too similar. They both tried to head it on, but to nothing. Last year we had 2 big strikers upfront and Pope couldn't score. Have we not learned this lesson? The striking partnership should be Dodds/Williamson with Pope/Andrew. Simple. Pope couldn't really get into the game today, and showed to me why I'm glad we didn't get Hughes in. Yes Hughes can score but I can guarantee from today that If he played up with Pope one of them would stop scoring, and well as there being no pace.

6. Duffy vs. Yates - We've been having this discussion for a while now. Every time I have seen Duffy he has been poor. He doesn't like like a right back to me. HOWEVER as I said before with playing the wingers we do we can't really play attacking full backs like Yates because if we went to overlap Myrie-Williams and it broke down we are so open at the back. I prefer Yates, but understand why he isn't being played in our current line up.

7. Morsy - Where was he? He's been our best midfielder this season so far. Ok he needed to learn from his mistake but it's gone too far now. We've missed his fire in the middle of the park - I don't want him making stupid fouls but we need a bit of bite at least

I hate ranting so much, but after paying so much to get back to Stoke to see the Vale I feel I need a good rant. To attempt to even this out, here is a GOOD POINT:

1. Neal - When we've conceeded two goals and the goalkeeper has kept us in it, it just sums it up really. Made some important saves and was one of the only players that turned up. Pope worked his socks off and Burge was more lively in the second half - but that's as far as it goes. Not good enough (I suppose that isn't really that positive, but Neal was my Man of the Match)

Odd team selection. I heard a whisper that Williamson was carrying a knock - in which case what was he doing on the bench? If he was fit, why didn't he come on to replace Andrew when it was clear him and Pope were not gelling at all. Why did Vincent stay on the pitch when he barely touched the ball in the first half yet in the second half he was pushed up front when Andrew came off? If we are going to persist with 4-4-2 when the two wingers are going to have to tuck in when we don't have the ball instead of standing out on the wing spectating - M-W tries to do this but Vincent struggles.

And with regard to the two centre halfs. Both are adquate Lg 2 defenders but not as a pair because neither has sufficient pace to get round the back and cover. To his credit, Rob Taylor did that a couple of times today but again, I couldn't quite see why he deserved to come on there and Yates didn't. Does make it rather strange trying to explain why on deadline day Adams signed the only centre back on the market who is slower than those two!

I do wonder if Micky Adams' response to the two recent defeats has been detrimental to the players. He seemed quite pleased for Sheff Utd rather than gutted for us and his response on the touchline on Tuesday seemed to indicate that he didn't give a toss whether we won or lost. I may be doing him an injustice there but that is the impression he gave me.

I agree with the comment Cullerton made reported above. We defend deep because of our worry against pace. The midfield pair come back as well leaving a ****** great big gap between them and the forwards. Consequently, when we get possession we almost inevitably play the long ball and the strikers are playing with their backs to goal all the time.

Fact is, we can play much better than we did today. I just hope the players and management get their collective fingers out at Cheltenham next week or we will be out of the top two.

Spot on Jean , can you go and tell MA where he's going wrong as he must be watching another team.

was it vale having a poor day or were chesterfield just to good? i think they were just to good for our players in every departement they were better, there number 34 and 23 ran the game there full backs had vincent and williams in there pockets. they looked faster sharper and better than us, 1 team always makes a move into the top 7 and it looks like its chesterfield best team ive seen this season at vale park.

Vale's formation today was basically 442, neither of the wingers can be classed as midfielders. At the beginning of the seasonn this worked well, maybe because of the hard pitches, maybe due to the elememt of suprise - but it's obviously not working now. In fact, it hasn't worked for ages. Even against York, who are not the best team, our midfield 2 were over-run, and this puts pressure on the back 4. I feel sory for Burge and James because they are having to work across the field. If Adams thought that the 2 of them (and it would have been the same whichever 2 he plays) could contain Chesterfield's quality midfield, then he wants his head looking at.

We've got to get 3 midfielders on, and that probably means dropping one of the wingers for a while, Ashley Vincent for me.

And with regard to the two centre halfs. Both are adquate Lg 2 defenders

I think you mean inadequate . I used to look forward to matches but not any more . I am starting to hate it because that pair are frightening me to death every time the opposition attack . I dont think even cheap prices will attract me to the next game . Time for a break I think.

No, listened to it on the radio and it sounded dire BUT if that peno which was stone wall by all accounts was given and converted it could have been a different outcome. I wasn't there though so will take your word for it. It still is only one game in the league, even if we lose next week we will still be in the top 3, an achievement for this squad regardless of how much expectations have risen recently. Hopefully we won't and these last 3 defeats will be a blip. We do need to change something though but Adams does not deserve the level of criticism aimed at him, the players were pretty bad today as well. Bad day/week at the office. Write it off, move on.

Thats what I'd be saying to MA, "move on"

Wrong team, wrong tactics, wrong subs. He got everything wrong today, and the decision to play Andrew and pope together was frightening. When everyone in the ground bar the manager can see what is going to happen, it's a worry. As soon as I saw the team selection and formation I could see we were going to lose. A waste of signings during the deadline, that has taken us backwards rather than forwards. With the players we have, we should go 4-3-3 with JMW and Vincent off pope, with morsey, burge and dodds in the middle. Would give us far more options going forward and allow us not to get over run in midfield. Still second, but if I had to gamble on whether we will stay there, right now I wouldn't.

Awful. That's the only way I can describe what I just watched. There were too many problems all over the pitch for me

1. Midfield - When we play the formation that we do with 2 wingers, we need more in the midfield. Today, James and Burge were basically in line with the back four at times. No-one made killer passes or tried to push forward. When the front two managed to head the ball on there was no attacking midfielder there to pick the ball up. Nor was there a non-defensive midfielder present when we cleared the ball. We lost the the second ball far too many times because we just hoofed the ball forward. Dodds links the attack and the midfield well, bring him back I say. He's clever when he starts and if he goes missing is when we bring on either Williamson or another midfielder.

2. Tactics - For me, Adams got in wrong today. I also feel that if he doesn't get it right straight away then there is no plan B. I love Mickey, I think he's done a cracking job under the circumstances, HOWEVER he substitutions are strange for one. For example - I'm a fan of Dodds but coming off the bench he offers little as opposed to Williamson. Secondly, why play Two big target men up top together. Furthermore why is there no pace at the back. I don't want to question him but I am just so bewildered...

3. Wingers - Both Vincent and Myrie-Williams have gone off the boil of late. We know what they can do. They have been brilliant so far. But even when they play bad we don't really have the option of replacing them. We can't really put Yates or Taylor at full back because of them as that would leave us too open with 2 attacking full backs and 2 non defensive wingers. My only suggestion would be to put Yates at left back and Loft at left midfield for a few games, as I think that would be a much more balanced left wing. In January we need to get more competition on the wings I think...

4.Centre Halves - McDonald and McCombe are both far too slow. We've said this for ages now. Chilvers doesn't solve the problem either. That's the most obvious point. Second, if you don't know how to mark Marc Richards after 5 seasons then that is really, really poor. I'm not sure which one I'd keep if we got a pacey centre back in either. McCombe is more consistent and better in the air but McDonald has better distribution, and makes more last ditch tackles.

5. Strikers - Andrew should be cover for Pope. As someone rightly stated on the radio 'why bring in a striker who can't score to play alongside a striker who is scoring, but is stopped by the new one'. Like I said as cover he is ideal but to play alongside Pope is suicide. They are far too similar. They both tried to head it on, but to nothing. Last year we had 2 big strikers upfront and Pope couldn't score. Have we not learned this lesson? The striking partnership should be Dodds/Williamson with Pope/Andrew. Simple. Pope couldn't really get into the game today, and showed to me why I'm glad we didn't get Hughes in. Yes Hughes can score but I can guarantee from today that If he played up with Pope one of them would stop scoring, and well as there being no pace.

6. Duffy vs. Yates - We've been having this discussion for a while now. Every time I have seen Duffy he has been poor. He doesn't like like a right back to me. HOWEVER as I said before with playing the wingers we do we can't really play attacking full backs like Yates because if we went to overlap Myrie-Williams and it broke down we are so open at the back. I prefer Yates, but understand why he isn't being played in our current line up.

7. Morsy - Where was he? He's been our best midfielder this season so far. Ok he needed to learn from his mistake but it's gone too far now. We've missed his fire in the middle of the park - I don't want him making stupid fouls but we need a bit of bite at least

I hate ranting so much, but after paying so much to get back to Stoke to see the Vale I feel I need a good rant. To attempt to even this out, here is a GOOD POINT:

1. Neal - When we've conceeded two goals and the goalkeeper has kept us in it, it just sums it up really. Made some important saves and was one of the only players that turned up. Pope worked his socks off and Burge was more lively in the second half - but that's as far as it goes. Not good enough (I suppose that isn't really that positive, but Neal was my Man of the Match)

I was going to write a big long post about today but that sums it up perfectly.

I think you mean inadequate . I used to look forward to matches but not any more . I am starting to hate it because that pair are frightening me to death every time the opposition attack . I dont think even cheap prices will attract me to the next game . Time for a break I think.

When did you look forward to matches? You've been non stop moaning for 3 seasons now.

I agree with all of the above. I posted earlier that we need to add some competition for places for the wingers. I'd have Ryan Lloyd on the bench.

Felt sorry for James today as he was having a good game. Can't believe he was replaced by Shuker.

Archived