onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope

boomer's vet

If there wasa choice between keeping Pope or keeping Griff, I would go for Pope everytime. Griff was limited, he was useful for the odd game against a better team, but more often than not was incapable of starting attacks and capable of helping them breakdown due to his limited ability on the ball. One of the reasons we are creating more this season is because the central midfield pairing can actually pass the ball and don't just go sideways or backwards.

Don't get me wrong, Griff was a 120% player every match, but is that really enough for a team looking for promotion? In my opinion no.

Advert

If there wasa choice between keeping Pope or keeping Griff, I would go for Pope everytime. Griff was limited, he was useful for the odd game against a better team, but more often than not was incapable of starting attacks and capable of helping them breakdown due to his limited ability on the ball. One of the reasons we are creating more this season is because the central midfield pairing can actually pass the ball and don't just go sideways or backwards.

Don't get me wrong, Griff was a 120% player every match, but is that really enough for a team looking for promotion? In my opinion no.

i watched orient last night, griff was very good at breaking up the play, however he never looked to receive the ball and appeared to hide when orient went on the attacked

I bumped into a couple of wise owls last night when walking back from the watering hole and we got talking. I decided I might as well kill two birds with one stone and ask a few questions on what might be in store for the weekend. Understandably the conversation soon got on to the Sneyd Green Sniper and they mentioned how word had been getting round the woods regarding his exceptional performances. This obviously came as no surprise to the birds and they promised that more is to come from this “goal machine” that we have on our hands. Regrettably there was a disturbance in the branches above and they quickly scampered into the distance, not before calmly singing the words ‘Feed the Pope and he will score’.

Good things will happen down on the south coast tomorrow

I take it you'd consumed a few beers that night?:yes:

had you posted this a couple of months ago I would have disagreed with you.. partly down to Griffs work ethic (over ability) and thighs :wub:

However given how the team have performed so far this season (and the different style of play), I'm willing to forego the eye candy and totally agree with you.. I must be getting old.. I may even need to borrow your stool next time I'm in the Moon :laugh:

Tom really does seem to have got his act together over the summer - Well Done Lad - credit where it's due (keep it up please :yes:)

But 5 league goals was appalling, no matter how much you try to cover it up. I'm sure he would admit himself that he could and should have score more goals.

No point knocking Beechy. Pope has admitted himself that he didn't score enough last season. 5 goals in near 50 odd games is shocking watever level. If it was Justin Richards he would of got **** loads of stick.

No point knocking Beechy. Pope has admitted himself that he didn't score enough last season. 5 goals in near 50 odd games is shocking watever level. If it was Justin Richards he would of got **** loads of stick.

But he brings others into play though.... :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to turn this into a thread knockin Pope, and last season is history, so I won't say any more other than I hope he's not just in a purple patch and he can score goals for us throughout the season. If we have any chance of promotion he really needs to be a 20 goals plus striker. 14 more to go (and a few more would be nice) please, Tom.

I've always stood up for Pope (and Micky Adams). Pope is a Lg 1/2 player because he doesn't score enough goals, if he gets 20 plus this season he won't be at PVFC next season and if that's the case good luck to the guy. Pope attracts the attention of and occupies defenders because of his playing style and size enabling other players to score so he always has value, I don't know if Chesterfield have a Pope equivalent but if not it will be interesting to see how many goals Richards scores this season from open play.

Griff likewise in a Lg1/2 player because he's limited in what he can do, he can beak up the play but can't distribute effectively, most of his passes are square, he also can't shoot with any consistency. IMO, he slowed up Vale's offensive play with his square passing.

I have said for a long time that 'The Pope' is the best target man that the club has had for years. The song 'feed the Pope and he will score' is very accurate. If Tom got a regular supply of quality crosses he would not only get a 'hatfull' he would lay plenty on for the likes of Louis Dodds.

My only negative is that I still feel the service from the wings is lacking. JMW and Vincent are both decent players and can be exciting but usually they are forced to cut inside because they have been used on the wrong flanks. For me left footers play on the left and rights go right!

I have said for a long time that 'The Pope' is the best target man that the club has had for years. The song 'feed the Pope and he will score' is very accurate. If Tom got a regular supply of quality crosses he would not only get a 'hatfull' he would lay plenty on for the likes of Louis Dodds.

My only negative is that I still feel the service from the wings is lacking. JMW and Vincent are both decent players and can be exciting but usually they are forced to cut inside because they have been used on the wrong flanks. For me left footers play on the left and rights go right!

Depends for me, if they cut inside they will get more goals individually, however of they played on their natural side then pope would have more Chances due to there being more deliveries. I think we should start them out on their natural sides and swap it around in the match.

Archived