onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer rumours and speculation

10 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Uche is credited with 21 assists throughout his 10 year league career, which I think is also poor.

I agree 100% with you that he is not value for money

Ouch. That’s a damning stat for direct goal involvement but to be fair you can’t measure how much space he created for others to score.

Better value for money elsewhere 

• Like 2

Advert

5 hours ago, Hitcher said:

As good a player as Gibbo is if you judge it on amount of games I think the decision not to resign him was correct. Last few seasons:

23/24: 26 appearances across Rovers and Cambridge (although possibly not low for fitness reasons as not 1st choice at rovers

22/23: 32 appearances Rovers

21/22: 28 vale

20/21: 12 vale

19/20: 35 vale

18/19: 19 vale

So basically missing somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 games each season.

If we didn't have that emotional connection to him and he was a random player, we'd all think it was a gamble if we signed him again. Completely get the point of signing players with the same mentality though.

Realistically players are never going to average more than about 32 games a season.  That's roughly what Earle and Walker played; who I've always thought of as pretty robust. Almost every player has write off serious injury seasons and some stop start seasons; alongside a few 40 plus appearances ones. Gibbo is at about 24 since he started playing "regularly. " Plenty of players barely play in a season then have a full season straight after, or vice versa. Ultimately that's why the medical is so important.  

The big worry with Gibbo has been the number of hamstring injuries.  Historically that's been a death nell of a footballer's career in the past. Not sure how far medical science has progressed in that regard; in my lifetime cartlidge injuries were once career threatening.  In Gibbos favour I think his main injury at Bristol was a fracture. Not sure if he also had any hamstring issues. If his hamstrings are no longer an issue then he would be a very useful addition.  One would imagine his most likely destination would be to remain at Cambridge. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JRC said:

Pretty much. He was also baffled that Adams preferred Griffiths over him and there were a number of other issues with the manager. Some players also didn't like Sam staying behind after training and doing things like free kick practising on his own for a couple of hours. Ironically one player from the promotion team has played in a World Cup, is a multi millionaire and will be playing in The Premiership next year. Maybe the hard work paid off.

He was offered a two year contract and pretty much said he wasn't going to sign it straight away. Adams and Morsy had a difficult relationship.  Ironically for such a bad egg Sam has Captained Chesterfield to the league one playoffs, Captained Wigan and then Captained Ipswich to 2 promotions.  In addition he was player of the year in his first season at Chesterfield when they won promotion from league 2 and played for Wigan when promoted from league 1. He's been in 2 PFA teams and twice supporters player of the year. Sam Morsy was always a polite, incredibly well mannered young man off the pitch and remains so. Why Adams was unable to manage him remains a mystery and also leads me to believe there was probably more than one side to the Burge story. The difference was he kept his head down and got out. Sam has Captained sides for 9 of the 11 seasons since he left the club; yet he really hasn't changed. 

Sam Morsy is brilliant

Could see it a mile off .

Adams castigated him after we were winning 2-0 v Rochdale and he got sent off .

To me he was a class act should never have being allowed leave

I liked Ryan Burge but he is beginning get on my nerves with his anti Vale nonsense I thought when he played he was a very  decent player but Morsy head and shoulders above him .

I'd love have a Sam Morsy now that's a footballer 

People going on about Uche like he is worst footballer in the world he isn't at all least the lads entertaining and puts himself about .

The reason we got relegated his because we couldn't defend or attack-33 is enough justification for having a clear out .

OK not scoring goals hasn't helped but I think if you stick say a quick mobile good finisher say Billy Sharp with Uche we get in play offs easily 

It's all about connections now .

If Smith is to stay then his defensive partner has to better than him by a long way .

Same in midfield whoever partners Ojo has to be better than him

Forwards we want players who can play together it's no good going with Uche and Loft too similar but Uche with a sharp quick jet heeled non league player who knows .

Loft the same .

Moore has to get it right or 20th to 24th position could be the outcome 

I'm not sure he will but he should get it right he as being around long enough.

Edited by Dipepa delight

Vale have Ryan Loft contracted to the club for another year, a striker who's not a natural goal scorer, not a good header of the ball but does put himself about so why do we also want a similar type of player in Uche. Uche's stamina and mobility also concern me, at least Loft can run.

Keep one and let the other go, don't keep both for heaven's sake. Worrying logic to have them both at the club when we've all just seen at first hand both in the same squad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Vale have Ryan Loft contracted to the club for another year, a striker who's not a natural goal scorer, not a good header of the ball but does put himself about so why do we also want a similar type of player in Uche. Uche's stamina and mobility also concern me, at least Loft can run.

Keep one and let the other go, don't keep both for heaven's sake. Worrying logic to have them both at the club when we've all just seen at first hand both in the same squad.

Maybe Loft wont be at the club come August?

9 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Yeah agreed we can’t be keeping them both! I actually think loft is pretty decent in the air 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Uche certainly is no Ian Rush.

Uche played 327 games score 58 goals which works out about 1 goal in every 5.6 games.

He's only scored 17 goals in the last 6 season's which puts him at, on average, scoring less than 3 goals per season.

No thank you.

A manager's job is to sign players who will do well next season.  Uche has at times done OK in terms of goals in the relatively distant past. If Moore believes he can do it again with his coaching and system then he should sign him. Like all managers he will then be judged on the outcome.  What I think (somewhat sceptical) or any fan shouldn't come into it. 

Not many fans wanted us to sign Pope in 2011 and some wanted to get rid of him in summer 2012. Signing him and keeping Pope is arguably the defining reason Adams is remembered so fondly at the club. 

2 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Maybe Loft wont be at the club come August?

Perhaps WSU, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes but if I was Moore I'd be going with the  "Bird in the hand..." rather than what might happen. Perhaps Loft has told him he wants away, we can only guess but having two similar strikers on the books didn't work too well last season in terms of goals scored.

Uche's missed header vs Camb was an OMG moment for me. He can have the strength of a lion, his heart is in the right place, he tries and tries but when you can't put a chance like that away....what's left.

Both could score 10+ goals each in Lge 2 next season but I very much doubt it based on what we saw last season.