onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Portsmouth (H) match thread - 27th Jan

robf

16 hours ago, nodge said:

Did the club confirm shirt numbers yet for Williams and Gore?

I saw that Weir has taken Conlon's old number 20 at Reading, I'm guessing that Williams will pick up 5 from Balmer maybe, and Gore maybe 11 rather than 18?

Looks like from his interview the club has just published he’s got 44 so Josh Thomas old number.

Advert

1 minute ago, Warren said:

I'm hoping the loan players have contractual obligations requiring them to play. 

they've been brought in to play not make numbers up. Find some positivity pal weir started last game so he's gonna be playing & no way is Dan Gore going to be a bench warmer 

I think there be no surprises in team sat .

I'd say it the same team from Reading bar Gore for Sang .

Be honest he could play Sang Weir and Gore to be honest that would be better than playing Lowey in midfield he needs be at the back foe me with Debrah and Jones or Icavetti .

Maybe Smith could be played a defensive midfielder a stopper like Andy Porter .

UTV 

The only real question for the lineup on Saturday is who the first choice defence will be. Rare occasion we might have a full complement of centrebacks from which to choose depending on the status of Debrah. My guess would be (assuming Debrah can’t play)

GK Ripley

RCB Williams

CB Smith

LCB Jones

RWB Massey

CM Gore

CM Weir

LWB Grant

AM Chislett

ST Uche

ST Wilson

Portsmouth obviously where they are for a reason but they’re certainly not as good as Plymouth or Ipswich were last season. Be tough but we can win this.

48 minutes ago, Warren said:

I'm hoping the loan players have contractual obligations requiring them to play. 

They normally do, I'd imagine it's something along the lines of be in the matchday squad at least if fit.

Some may have agreements they have to start although I'd imagine that's dangerous if they are out of form or turn out not very good, clearly Thomas didn't with us as sadly he warmed the bench most of his time at VP.

59 minutes ago, Devine intervention said:

I think there be no surprises in team sat .

I'd say it the same team from Reading bar Gore for Sang .

Be honest he could play Sang Weir and Gore to be honest that would be better than playing Lowey in midfield he needs be at the back foe me with Debrah and Jones or Icavetti .

Maybe Smith could be played a defensive midfielder a stopper like Andy Porter .

UTV 

i love smithy but he'd get shown to bits in a holding midfield role. Far too slow & not good enough on the ball 

59 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

The only real question for the lineup on Saturday is who the first choice defence will be. Rare occasion we might have a full complement of centrebacks from which to choose depending on the status of Debrah. My guess would be (assuming Debrah can’t play)

GK Ripley

RCB Williams

CB Smith

LCB Jones

RWB Massey

CM Gore

CM Weir

LWB Grant

AM Chislett

ST Uche

ST Wilson

Portsmouth obviously where they are for a reason but they’re certainly not as good as Plymouth or Ipswich were last season. Be tough but we can win this.

could be bang on the money there pal 👍🏻 

21 minutes ago, Vtid said:

could be bang on the money there pal 👍🏻 

If Debrah is fit then would have to rethink it but I think there’s enough available now to not have to force it. Some good ball players all through on that lineup so in theory could be pleasing on the eye to watch. Nice intro to L1 for Gore assuming Pack plays for them, will provide a stiff challenge straight up for him.

5 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

If Debrah is fit then would have to rethink it but I think there’s enough available now to not have to force it. Some good ball players all through on that lineup so in theory could be pleasing on the eye to watch. Nice intro to L1 for Gore assuming Pack plays for them, will provide a stiff challenge straight up for him.

Roll on Saturday 💙

3 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

GK Ripley

RCB Williams

CB Smith

LCB Jones

RWB Massey

CM Gore

CM Weir

LWB Grant

AM Chislett

ST Uche

ST Wilson

For me Jones can't come in against the league leaders. He hasn't played for months. He makes bad mistakes when he hasn't had a run of games. 

My preferred back three if all fit is Debrah, Williams and Lowe. If Debrah is not fit then Williams, Lowe, Lacovitti. It's close between Lowe and Lacovitti, but Lowe has a career that's taken him to higher echelons. Smith on the bench.

Not sure what to do with Jones. He plays left side and that's valuable. Need to get him involved again, but not starting against the league leaders. 

I think the defence is key here. I think we can win this game if the defence plays well. We are good enough in midfield and up front. 

10 minutes ago, Warren said:

For me Jones can't come in against the league leaders. He hasn't played for months. He makes bad mistakes when he hasn't had a run of games. 

My preferred back three if all fit is Debrah, Williams and Lowe. If Debrah is not fit then Williams, Lowe, Lacovitti. It's close between Lowe and Lacovitti, but Lowe has a career that's taken him to higher echelons. Smith on the bench.

Not sure what to do with Jones. He plays left side and that's valuable. Need to get him involved again, but not starting against the league leaders. 

I think the defence is key here. I think we can win this game if the defence plays well. We are good enough in midfield and up front. 

You’re not wrong in what you say on Jones Warren but I would just counter that by saying name me a Vale defender who hasn’t made multiple similar bone-headed mistakes this season? They’ve all been culpable at some point from Smith on down so it’s hard for me to have that as a concern with Jones specifically.

I think more than anything we need to get a settled unit back there. If can get that then as a former defender himself that should be the easiest part of Crosby’s job to organise.

Archived