onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What are our expectations?

Granville

I gave up expectations a long time ago... In a galaxy far far away
That said ... The magic roundabout of speculation must continue. 
In all honesty, Hopefully at least be somewhere midtable.. with a few sore throats on Sunday mornings from having moments to cheer. Most of all though, some good comical banter with OVF's very own poundland pundit team. 
it's like having an army of grumbling uncles. It wouldn't be Vale without you.

Your welcome

Advert

I would like to see us stay up without a last minute panic and develop some of our youth players for next season.

It'd be great to see plant play in his proper position, get Walters signed on a 3 year deal and keep giving him game time.

We play more passing football this season but how much of that is because of Arblaster and Devine? Be good to start see us build a decent team that we own. For me loan players should be a something extra, but this season they are our backbone.

Just gradual progress really. Be great to become a team like Peterborough. I don't think there is much difference in fanbase. Just that they've been through a lot more cycles of getting good players, selling well and reinvesting. We are just starting that journey.

• Like 1

I expect we will come out of the January transfer window without making the squad stronger .                                                                                                                                                                                                                I expect we will play in the same way all season .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I expect Andy Crosby will remain as manager .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      I expect we will just about avoid relegation .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          I expect season ticket sales will be down .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              I expect to at least be able to enjoy watching a good game of football , and not a chess match .                                                                                                                                                                                                                I expect I will be Vale till I die .                                  

• Like 6

On 15/12/2023 at 11:04, Granville said:

An open question - what genuinely do most of us think is a realistic target for us this season.

I've been a supporter of Crosby but his recent record is hard to defend.

That said, are we pretty much where we should be given our second season at this level, our budget, our transfer activity, size of fanbase?

My own personal opinion is that I think we are slightly beneath where we should be, but talk of top half finishes and play off pushes etc aren't realistic.

I'm just interested in what others expectations are?

Finish above where we did last season.

Get to the third round of either the FA or EFL Cups, which we achieved.

Increase average local attendance at league games at Vale Park over the season.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Smallthorne clampet said:

I expect we will come out of the January transfer window without making the squad stronger .                                                                                                                                                                                                                I expect we will play in the same way all season .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I expect Andy Crosby will remain as manager .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      I expect we will just about avoid relegation .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          I expect season ticket sales will be down .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              I expect to at least be able to enjoy watching a good game of football , and not a chess match .                                                                                                                                                                                                                I expect I will be Vale till I die .                                  

I am sorry, as a fairly strong chess player I dont think Crosby can play chess. At least not well. If he is playing chess he has an over dependence on making unsound middle game sacrifices where he's not done the analysis properly (second half subs). That said, as a team, I'm not sure we've got a piece as strong as a Queen. I guess he may be confusing stalemate with checkmate. 

We can regard finishing mid table in this football tournament as success. We are not ready to be grandmasters. Crosby needs to checkmate more opponents in the second half of the season to do that. Get rid of the tendency to blunder in the end game (80th minute onwards).

Edited by Warren

16 hours ago, Hitcher said:

I would like to see us stay up without a last minute panic and develop some of our youth players for next season.

It'd be great to see plant play in his proper position, get Walters signed on a 3 year deal and keep giving him game time.

We play more passing football this season but how much of that is because of Arblaster and Devine? Be good to start see us build a decent team that we own. For me loan players should be a something extra, but this season they are our backbone.

Just gradual progress really. Be great to become a team like Peterborough. I don't think there is much difference in fanbase. Just that they've been through a lot more cycles of getting good players, selling well and reinvesting. We are just starting that journey.

Plus the owner puts in millions