onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ron Futcher

Jeffporthill

Advert

2 hours ago, vale victory said:

The 88/89 promotion winning team is still my favourite vale promotion winning team

The MBE corner routine
Beckford and Futcher partnership
Robbie Earle in the middle

Just pips the early 90’s teams for me , we played some great stuff and if I’m right beat Cardiff 6-1 on the Saturday with unbelievable goals from futcher and Earle then beat chesterfield 5-0 on the Tuesday with beckford getting a hat trick

Great times

Me too.

Grew Mills Hughes Spro Webby West Hughes Glover

Porter Walker Earle Riley Beckford Futcher Jones Ford Jeffers 

They got us into the Championship and we couldn't believe it

Some great memories

Proper footie 

I thought he was really good 
No pace but all the thinking was in his head.
The fans raved about Wilson....watch some footage of Futcher...worlds apart

This is Bang on the money , Fans raving about Wilson obviously didn’t see futcher at vale he was top quality , also you can use naylor and Foyle for the same argument. Wilson never done it for a sustainable period higher than league 2

3 minutes ago, vale victory said:

This is Bang on the money , Fans raving about Wilson obviously didn’t see futcher at vale he was top quality , also you can use naylor and Foyle for the same argument. Wilson never done it for a sustainable period higher than league 2

Showing our age VV.

It was Ally Brown before Futch...

Yh Naylor and Foyle were fantastic. That's why they overshadowed Mills too 

We were blessed

Showing our age VV.
It was Ally Brown before Futch...
Yh Naylor and Foyle were fantastic. That's why they overshadowed Mills too 
We were blessed

We were spoilt weren’t we and very lucky to witness those times . Didn’t perhaps appreciate how good we were but after the struggles of the recent past I do now

43 minutes ago, vale victory said:

We were spoilt weren’t we and very lucky to witness those times . Didn’t perhaps appreciate how good we were but after the struggles of the recent past I do now

My mates (Man City, Derby, WBA, Crwho? and Sjoke fans) will tell you that I absolutely appreciated how good we were in that era, I never shut up about it at the time! 😄😂🤣

You'll never beat The Vale! 😊

1 hour ago, vale victory said:

Futch wasn’t just top quality he was as hard as nails, in an era where you had to stand up for yourself with far less protection from refs than there is today.  Likewise Naylor and Foyle had to contend with far more of the rough stuff back in their day than Willow will ever have seen in the modern era.

At this time the team's entrance on to the pitch was not the orchestrated parade it is today; one team would stroll out followed a few minutes later by the other. Futch would always come out with the ref and linesman having a laugh and joke with them just to get them on his side . A master tactician even before the game started.

Futch was the making of Darren Beckford and really enabled Beckford to blossom by teaching him the tricks.  In the same way Jimmy Greenhoff helped Mark Bright and Ally Brown then brought on Robbie  Earle and Andy Jones.

So, if we sign an old experienced crafty striker this summer, and people whinge and moan and say he is past it, well just remember the past, and hope for a repeat in the future.

On 30/05/2023 at 18:31, DazFred said:

I thought he was really good 

No pace but all the thinking was in his head.

The fans raved about Wilson....watch some footage of Futcher...worlds apart

When we beat Chesterfield 5-0 when Futcher was with us, he came away from the night with 5 assists.

I think he got  10 out 10  in the marks from Match magazine for that game too.

Incredible

When we beat Chesterfield 5-0 when Futcher was with us, he came away from the night with 5 assists.
I think he got  10 out 10  in the marks from Match magazine for that game too.
Incredible

He was two maybe 3 passes ahead in his head , him and beckford were a great partnership

On 30/05/2023 at 17:14, DazFred said:

The making of Beckford

Fantastic player and I remember him headbutting someone in the playoffs at Bristol Rovers

Time flies, 34 years ago today! Fantastic season, incredible memories. Rolls Royce of a striker Futch. Only Sir John could sign a player of his age, get two years out of him and sell him on for profit. 

Archived