onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Ipswich Town

Fosse69

Plymouth to be fair are probably the most isolated club from any other in the EFL so have the largest area to pick fans up from (although its a Naval town and Cornwall is largely second homes so not as big population wise as you'd think).

It wont happen overnight but we've got a lot more kids at VP these days (my daughter included) and have increased our average attendance by 2-3000 in a year, currently the highest in 25 years so its about keeping those and getting them hooked, then in time their kids will come and increase the overall fan base over the next generation.

If we keep progressing and challenge the top end of L1 in the next couple of years I am sure this would increase further.

Advert

We could do with being above Stoke for a few years. They have already lost their plastics from the prem, I'd guess they are only really 5-6000 up on us if they didn't announce who hasn't turned up. If we can get in the same league as them whether us up to the championship or them down to league 1 would help with the loyalty point scheme as people will want to attend those games and will need the cheeky points through the season.

20 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Plymouth to be fair are probably the most isolated club from any other in the EFL so have the largest area to pick fans up from (although its a Naval town and Cornwall is largely second homes so not as big population wise as you'd think).

It wont happen overnight but we've got a lot more kids at VP these days (my daughter included) and have increased our average attendance by 2-3000 in a year, currently the highest in 25 years so its about keeping those and getting them hooked, then in time their kids will come and increase the overall fan base over the next generation.

If we keep progressing and challenge the top end of L1 in the next couple of years I am sure this would increase further.

Not that it needs to turn in to a big debate but I think Norwich is further away from any other league clubs than Plymouth

3 hours ago, Valiant62 said:

To be fair, Plymouth, albeit in Devon, have the whole of Cornwall to draw from as well. I often think they should be getting much better crowds than they ever seem to have achieved.

Yes I thought about that - Plymouth in its own right has a population of 260k. Then there is the rest of the region. So although they are doing well to grow, and are the only club, there is some sort of inherent barrier / disinterest in the population. 

Another angle to this is that growing the fanbase isn't a straight line graph. If Plymouth get to the Championship they may not increase support much albeit ground attendance may grow with more away fans. However, get to the Premier League and I suggest that the fanbase will increase with 'soft fans' who want to watch the big teams and famous players. Get relegated and they go away again - at bit like Stoke City. 

Really big effort from the vale that… we can all see we are a bit behind the top teams but we are due a surprise result against 1 of them in the second half of the season.

Delighted with the start we ve made I thought we may struggle early in in the season but the players have got up to speed really quickly. Hopefully DC’s strategy of resting players means we don’t blow up in the 2nd half of the season… 

UTV

10 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

There is only one club in Plymouth so not the same competition that we have. I think a target of 10,000 average would be more realistic. Something we have not done since the 60s.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

There is also no nearby competition,  plus they have the support of large sections of Cornwall.  

Cornwall population is circa 500000, and whilst there are second homes it nothing like "largely ". Besides, a second home owner who's a football fan will gi to watch local football.  I do, although not Plymouth,  proper local. For certain Plymouth have large support from Cornwall,  I speak to blokes who attend and I'm an hour and a half from Plymouth 

7 hours ago, Emile said:

Norwich to Ipswich is 44 miles where as Plymouth to Exeter is 46 miles. 

I am not sure what I'm trying to say. But some quick Google enquiries suggested there is a fierce county rivalry between Norfolk and Suffolk. In the other region it is suggested that Exeter is a rugby city. 

Archived