onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Barnsley v Port Vale

Fosse69

Barnsley put an incredible amount of energy into closing us down on Tuesday. I imagine that this had probably been noted when scouting them amd we came up with a plan to counteract it.

We contained them reasonably well in the 1st 70 minutes and whilst they ran rings around us at times we could have easily got to that point in the match level.

Due to the effort that they had put into closing us down they ran out of steam for the last 20 minutes which we capitalised on by bringing on fresh legs with a bit of pace and our more attacking players. We had a bit more time on the ball in the middle to pick out passes and held onto the ball better.

In the end we could have won the match but equally we could have lost 3 or 4.

I think Clarke got the tactics pretty much spot on and whilst I would prefer us to play in a much more attacking manor its no use if you come out of games losing 3 or 4.

I have no doubt come the end of the season Barnsley will be up amongst it at the right end of the table. The last 20 minutes certainly gave us enough to have a bit of optimism for the season ahead.

Advert

On 14/09/2022 at 20:47, Santa said:

it probably doesn’t count as an ‘end’ as it’s part of an arena type of stadium rather than a self contained stand. 

Quite right. Frankly MK Dons with their bowl design could give about 20,000 to away fans and still easily contain their home support. 

On 14/09/2022 at 09:59, jjvale_03 said:

Not picking on you, WV, but I hate this attitude.

Do Brentford treat every point gained in the Prem as a miracle because they've spent the majority of their life in the third and fourth tiers? Do Luton do similar given they were in the National League 8 years ago?

Such a weird mentality when we're playing similar sized clubs. The promotion and relegation system means that every club is currently where they deserve to be. It's why Accrington and Morecambe compete with Derby and Sheffield Wednesday this season. 

Let's rid ourselves of this 'little Port Vale' tag that some fans still clearly have. We're well within our rights to compete with everyone in this division.

I agree completely. As I have said before, yes we have had a few years out of league 1 but I still remember a time, 00-01 season in fact, when there were moans at being back in league 1 after years at Championship level and having to play lots of so called minor teams. 

That season then included clubs like Swansea, Wigan, Bournemouth, Reading and Brentford. 

it was depressing losing to teams like that then, but you wouldn’t say that now! If Reading came down would we fear them as some kind of mega giants? You’d hope not…

League 1/div 3 was our sort of “natural average” historically. League 2/4th division No so much, but I am quite certain we have had more 2nd tier seasons than 4th ones! 

10 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Cambridge are a very good side blown away by Barnsley 3-0 at Cambridge.
This was a excellent point for Vale the fact we created so many chances tells you what direction the Vale will be heading once they start to convert majority of chances .
The future is exciting and thats how it should be .
UTV

Agreed. I too noted their win against a very decent Cambridge side.

Archived