Doha

New striker signing - Devante Rodney

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

It'll be that Devante Rodney, and fans will have a meltdown. Guarantee

Do you think they'll have a meltdown in a good or a bad way? 

I do find it funny how some fans judge a player before they even put on a Vale shirt.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, robf said:

Do you think they'll have a meltdown in a good or a bad way? 

I do find it funny how some fans judge a player before they even put on a Vale shirt.

Bad way. They'll google him, check his wiki, see he didn't score many for Salford, and declare him inadequate. A 22 year old getting goals from the wing in the league below, who has attributes we currently lack in forward areas, is worth a go in my view. We can't have 23 starters on 1.5k a week.

Stockport fan just told me he reckons they're signing him (successful loan spell there), so maybe Askey will surprise us. They proper rate him. 

Edited by Joe B

Ah, I thought so. 

I always say the same thing - it doesn't matter how many goals (or indeed how few goals) someone scores for another club, it's what they do in a Vale shirt that counts. I'd trust the manager knows more than those fans and I presume if it is Rodney, he's been brought in as a fourth striker to develop. 

• Like 2

Just now, robf said:

Ah, I thought so. 

I always say the same thing - it doesn't matter how many goals (or indeed how few goals) someone scores for another club, it's what they do in a Vale shirt that counts. I'd trust the manager knows more than those fans and I presume if it is Rodney, he's been brought in as a fourth striker to develop. 

22 years old, 7 in 20 in the Conference in 19/20, apparently a hard-worker who can cover the right wing and the forward line, with attributes we've sorely lacked last season? Its not a marquee signing that has tinpot twitter accounts declaring "Port Vale are making MOVES" like they did for Mansfield last summer, but I certainly won't be one to slag the lad off before he joins.

County fans seem adamant he's going there though.

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

22 years old, 7 in 20 in the Conference in 19/20, apparently a hard-worker who can cover the right wing and the forward line, with attributes we've sorely lacked last season? Its not a marquee signing that has tinpot twitter accounts declaring "Port Vale are making MOVES" like they did for Mansfield last summer, but I certainly won't be one to slag the lad off before he joins.

I bet they are the same fans who bemoaned the signing of "Bury reject" Scott Burgess last summer!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A  plymouth fan posted on this league 2 forum I go on that he is mates with a player called grant that plays for them. He has a girlfriend from stoke and has apparently signed for a club 10 mins from stoke so that would be vale or crewe then. 

2 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

A  plymouth fan posted on this league 2 forum I go on that he is mates with a player called grant that plays for them. He has a girlfriend from stoke and has apparently signed for a club 10 mins from stoke so that would be vale or crewe then. 

I think that's former Crewe forward Joel Grant, who has also been linked with Vale.

3 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

Joel Grant, 32, been about the block. Used to play for Crewe. Plays out wide and up front, not massively prolific. Lowe spoke very highly of him when he released him, superb lad.

Joel Grant, 32, been about the block. Used to play for Crewe. Plays out wide and up front, not massively prolific. Lowe spoke very highly of him when he released him, superb lad.

He is moving to SoT, he has not found a club yet

10 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

He is moving to SoT, he has not found a club yet

Askey tends not to sign older players but the lad has done the business for years at League 2 level; wouldn't be a guaranteed starter, mind. Apparently has become more of an 'inside forward' which would offer a bit of flexibility compared to our out and out wingers of Worrall and Amoo (http://argyle.life/analysis/joel-grant-tactical-evolution/).

I dont know his situation if hes out of contract or not but it wouldn't surprise me if we have bid 50k for that ironside from macclesfield it gives us a striker and helps them out financially for abit.

2 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

I dont know his situation if hes out of contract or not but it wouldn't surprise me if we have bid 50k for that ironside from macclesfield it gives us a striker and helps them out financially for abit.

Out of contract, offered a new deal by Macc, but if he wanted to come here we wouldn't have to pay. 

Edited by Joe B

Askey tends not to sign older players but the lad has done the business for years at League 2 level; wouldn't be a guaranteed starter, mind. Apparently has become more of an 'inside forward' which would offer a bit of flexibility compared to our out and out wingers of Worrall and Amoo (http://argyle.life/analysis/joel-grant-tactical-evolution/).

He would join Vale, but I’m not sure he’s an Askey signing ( I rate him though )

Rodney's record on the face of it isn't fantastic at league level but a lot of those appearances are as a sub so some could be for barely 5-10 minutes.

Goals to actual starts is decent, albeit in the national league mostly. 

As mentioned we need back up upfront and Askey only plays one out and out striker anyway. A bit of pace never went a miss either against lower league defenders. 

• Like 1

According to Mike B at the Sentinel - "a young goalscorer" - so appears to rule Grant, Palmer etc out but not Rodney...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Joe B said:

He scored 8 in 20. Odd if he moves to Stockport as he turned them down to go to Halifax for the second half of last season. Stockport then used the funds to sign Bennett. Definitely not staying at Halifax as he turned down playing in the play-offs as he was going to sign elsewhere this week.

My guess is one of Arthur Gnahoua, Rodney or outside chance it's Joel Grant. As The Sentinel article says young striker who is different to what we've got I'd have thought Rodney is most likely. Personal opinion is he would be a decent option as a 4th forward .... genuinely quick, two footed and can play on both wings. His record at Salford was poor over the last 2 seasons but they only gave him one start. During his 3 loan spells over the same period (all at National League level) he's got 15 in 32 games (29 starts and 3 as a sub) and quite a few assists. That's pretty good, particularly as a fair percent of starts were on the wing. 4th striker will always be a bit of a punt but if it is him I dont think its a bad one. His goals per game would have put him second in the National League leading scorer list and he only just turned 22.

• Thanks 1