onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

I think on balance it probably wasn’t a foul but it doesn’t stop fouls for these sort of challenges being given arbitrarily by referees.

If Pope had scored with a similar challenge in their keeper I don’t think it would have stood.

I also think a different team (better at the dark arts than we are) would have crowded the referee in the aftermath.

But this is the same ref who thought Gibbons’ tackle at Newport last season was a red card, so God knows what goes through their minds.

Advert

13 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Not sure I understand you. How can allowing too many crosses be the fault of Brisley or Brown?

Not sure I understand you either.  Where do I say it’s their fault?  Read the post again, and notice the use of a new paragraph,, because it’s a separate issue.  Far from being at fault, Brisley, Brown and Co. have to deal with the consequences when we allow a cross into the box.

If you look at the cross for the goal we should be cutting that out.  Both Salford and Exeter, first half, were able to get far too many crosses in, which we have both defend and win the second ball,  There comes a point when the law of averages says we’ll fail to do so.

De Gea got away with a similar goal at Liverpool when it was scored but he was impacted so its here or there, the split in opinion on here shows how difficult it is for the referee to call it. VAR probably rules it out in the top flight for instance as he does knee Brown first.

I didnt think we did enough to win it though, we were fairly decent and deserved our lead but the last 20 minutes or so we tailed off and allowed them to hit our channels and fire cross after cross in and stopped creating and I feared we'd lose it.

A draw was the right outcome, Salford for all their spending looked average and we were below the standards we can play, not helped by the missing players, to go up against a squad thats built on so much money with four of our key players out shows great progress at least.

Ref was frustrating as he gave advantage when non was really there to be had but stopped us breaking away to pull it back when we actually had a great advantage!

Occy wasn't up to much, Andrade was busy, Asante was woeful, spent most of his time moaning and trying to annoy Legge who a couple of times swatted him off like a fly.

I'd have taken 4 points from the 3 games but onto the next three big ties coming up which will have a big say in the outcome of our season.

310 away fans is woeful considering i think they get free travel, you can buy a club and all the players you want but you can't buy a fan base.

27 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Not sure I understand you either.  Where do I say it’s their fault?  Read the post again, and notice the use of a new paragraph,, because it’s a separate issue.  Far from being at fault, Brisley, Brown and Co. have to deal with the consequences when we allow a cross into the box.

If you look at the cross for the goal we should be cutting that out.  Both Salford and Exeter, first half, were able to get far too many crosses in, which we have both defend and win the second ball,  There comes a point when the law of averages says we’ll fail to do so.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were implying. It was still a foul though!!!

33 minutes ago, Santa said:

I think on balance it probably wasn’t a foul but it doesn’t stop fouls for these sort of challenges being given arbitrarily by referees.

If Pope had scored with a similar challenge in their keeper I don’t think it would have stood.

I also think a different team (better at the dark arts than we are) would have crowded the referee in the aftermath.

But this is the same ref who thought Gibbons’ tackle at Newport last season was a red card, so God knows what goes through their minds.

Wasn’t that red card rescinded?

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

Having seen it a few times now it's a foul all day long.  The keeper is vulnerable in that position, his ribs are exposed and that's the reason they usually get protected by referees.

Seems we have been undone a few times recently by poor decisions.  

At one time you could put both keeper and ball in the net and have the goal given; see Ken Beamish v. Hull away 1977.

It's not like that any more but it's a contact game and you expect hard challenges sometimes. If it had been up the other end and had been disallowed for a foul this board would have gone into meltdown. 

Marc Richards certainly did a good job on that Shrewsbury keeper in 2008 when he hit the winner.

At one time you could put both keeper and ball in the net and have the goal given; see Ken Beamish v. Hull away 1977.
It's not like that any more but it's a contact game and you expect hard challenges sometimes. If it had been up the other end and had been disallowed for a foul this board would have gone into meltdown. 

Their goal scorer is a huge player. So if this was a tackle where the tackler does play the ball but then crunches the opposing player, the playing of the ball becomes irrelevant and it is a free kick for fouling the opponent or losing control etc. So the Salford goal is the same. He has either fouled Brown as he gets the ball or Brown after he has got the ball and caused him to require recovery time. It was a free kick, the end. Not up for comparisons with De Gea. He did the fouling and the opponent got punished! I am going to somehow resist making comments I would have 30 years ago about him! Gulp I am reformed.

Archived