onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Hereford 1, Vale 2 - Post Match comments

valiant_593

Woeful first half which would not have looked out of place on a parks pitch of a Sunday morning. Bit better second half until we gave away a daft goal. Improved a lot when the three subs came on. Yates took his goal really well. I thought the pen was a bit soft but the ref would have probably given it at the other end so I won't complain!

A good win which was not witnessed by any of our Board of Directors. What sort of image of our club do you think that presents in the home Board Room?[/quote

Notice Lodey was there as our rep:(

Advert

Woeful first half which would not have looked out of place on a parks pitch of a Sunday morning. Bit better second half until we gave away a daft goal. Improved a lot when the three subs came on. Yates took his goal really well. I thought the pen was a bit soft but the ref would have probably given it at the other end so I won't complain!

A good win which was not witnessed by any of our Board of Directors. What sort of image of our club do you think that presents in the home Board Room?[/quote

Notice Lodey was there as our rep:(

I thought I saw him as we were walking back to the car.....

It was a pretty bad game generally, theirs was a bit of a wonder goal again, and not Tommo's fault...in fact other than one missed punhc and a couple of awful kickouts he did ok....I thought Griff was immense all game - totally daft booking, but then there were several of their players that should have been booked - and some really nasty challenges that the ref let them get away with. Awful reffing again.....

Rico looked class when he came on, and he fired up the others, such as Lofty, who suddenly started running with effect as opposed to headless chicken...

Yatesy was a little star too - that was a really class finish, when all the rest of them kept swinging and missing.....stonewall pen, MW definitely tripped, but not clear if he was going anywhere......their fans didn't like him much cos he kept beating their players, getting kicked and getting their donkeys booked......

Great result in the end....

MagicFlask is right. I think the reason that Loft got "fired up" after the subs were made was that the style of play changed considerably from that point.

The main reason for this, for me, was the absence of Pope. Suddenly, we had a pacy, mobile strike line which managed to move Hereford's defence around. They had lost their shape; largely because Loft was able to get the ball down and play. He sees the diagonal passes very well and now had someone whose off-ball movement enabled him to play them.

I may get shot down here but I have long believed that Pope being on the pitch makes us far too one-dimensional and easier to play against. Yes, he's good in the air and holds the ball up well. However, the opposing defence can usually predict our strategy and deal with it with our attacks coming from in front of them. Yesterday's subs changed all that; suddenly they were being turned by Rico and Williamson and being made to face their own goal far more. Rigg's intelligent movement from a deeper position added to this effect. Overall - even allowing for Hereford's inadequacies - we looked a more potent attacking force.

Credit to Adams for changing the game. I'd humbly suggest to him (although I know he never reads on here!) that Pope's best role is coming from the bench when we need to slow the game down and/or need a change of attack focus and that we need to develop this more mobile style as our main threat.

Sometimes I feel that, particularly in the striking area, a lot of Vale fans value effort over quality and that we need to look further ahead than that. Williamson, to me, could turn out to be an exciting signing if given a proper chance. The guy has potential and pace, for sure.

I'd like to see us tackle the tougher assignments ahead with this more ambitious style and see how we go. Let's give Sturrock et al something more to consider than how to mark the big man up front.

One of the things that has gone through my mind is that Adams has started to be brave again with his substitutions in the past few weeks. A few weeks back his use of subs made no impact on the game. Now - like yesterday all 3 at the same time - it is shaking the game up. This is what he did when he first arrived. Has he woken up and stopped sulking?

MagicFlask is right. I think the reason that Loft got "fired up" after the subs were made was that the style of play changed considerably from that point.

The main reason for this, for me, was the absence of Pope. Suddenly, we had a pacy, mobile strike line which managed to move Hereford's defence around. They had lost their shape; largely because Loft was able to get the ball down and play. He sees the diagonal passes very well and now had someone whose off-ball movement enabled him to play them.

I may get shot down here but I have long believed that Pope being on the pitch makes us far too one-dimensional and easier to play against. Yes, he's good in the air and holds the ball up well. However, the opposing defence can usually predict our strategy and deal with it with our attacks coming from in front of them. Yesterday's subs changed all that; suddenly they were being turned by Rico and Williamson and being made to face their own goal far more. Rigg's intelligent movement from a deeper position added to this effect. Overall - even allowing for Hereford's inadequacies - we looked a more potent attacking force.

Credit to Adams for changing the game. I'd humbly suggest to him (although I know he never reads on here!) that Pope's best role is coming from the bench when we need to slow the game down and/or need a change of attack focus and that we need to develop this more mobile style as our main threat.

Sometimes I feel that, particularly in the striking area, a lot of Vale fans value effort over quality and that we need to look further ahead than that. Williamson, to me, could turn out to be an exciting signing if given a proper chance. The guy has potential and pace, for sure.

I'd like to see us tackle the tougher assignments ahead with this more ambitious style and see how we go. Let's give Sturrock et al something more to consider than how to mark the big man up front.

Absolutely spot on!

With Pope on the pitch we play far too much long ball stuff and the likes of Lofty spend most of their time watching the ball fly over their heads. With Rico not being such a target man we tend to play a more passing game.

It's great to have the players for both styles of play, the difficult bit is working out which way to play against which opposition!

ChrisR,

Cheers bud!

Listening to P & G, reading on here and talking to other Valeites, I've often thought that I was in a minority of one on this!

Folk tend to wax lyrical on Pope's undoubted workrate but tend not to focus on wider issues!

i agree

we need to dump collins, owen, mcombe, griff and taylor and bring in players who are good on the ball

bottom line is that regardless of the off the pitch issues at present, the team is massively under performing and we need a good clearout of the dead wood in the summer. In my eyes Yates, Dodds, Owen, Tomlinson, Martin, Roberts and a couple of the youth team lads who havent made it have all got to go probably MacDonald if his trial goes pair shaped as well. Owen isnt anything like a centre half anymore, far too easy to dominate physically and stuggles like hell in the air now

Feel stupid?

Archived