onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Rumour: Port Vale linked to midfielder signing

News Feed

Port Vale are reportedly close to signing midfielder Tom Conlon, the Sentinel reports. Conlon played in the friendly against Blackpool at the weekend.* Manager Neil Aspin told the newspaper: “I’ve been happy with what I’ve seen. Tom has been training with us for a week, he played in midweek andRead More →

The post Rumour: Port Vale linked to midfielder signing appeared first on onevalefan.co.uk.

Click for full article

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

I hope we can sign Tom, he looks to have more potential than some of our new signings. Still young but has played and scored at our level already.

He's scored a total of 2 in his career of 60+ games (including sub appearances), and they both came in the same match.

I didn't see Saturday's friendly that many say he played well in, so what type of player is he? He's clearly not a goalscoring midfielder but is he likely to be creative, as that's the type of midfielder we're crying out for - we seem to already have plenty of midfielders that won't trouble either the scoring or assisting charts!

He's scored a total of 2 in his career of 60+ games (including sub appearances), and they both came in the same match.

I didn't see Saturday's friendly that many say he played well in, so what type of player is he? He's clearly not a goalscoring midfielder but is he likely to be creative, as that's the type of midfielder we're crying out for - we seem to already have plenty of midfielders that won't trouble either the scoring or assisting charts!

He looked a nice and tidy player to keep the ball and set the tempo of the game. Similar to Joyce I think. But seeing as hes left footed it adds a bit of balance too. He probably needs to strengthn himself up a bit for centre mid though.

Based on what we've seen of the friendlies I don't think the formation is going to allow the 2 centre midfielders to be goal scorers or busting a gut to get beyond our forwards. I think they will be sitting in most of the time in front of a back 3, allowing the 2 wingbacks, and the front 3 more license.

But he has played at league 1 and 2 level and scored. How many of our non league signings have done either?

You can't base every players career on the number of goals they've scored.

Obviously not, but if you've got a squad that looks like it is going to be struggling for goals then it'd be good if possibly the final new signing before the season (other than Howkins?) can help to solve that by a) notching a few themselves and/or b) providing creativity and chances for the strikers, rather than adding another midfielder to those in the squad that do little of either.

Obviously not, but if you've got a squad that looks like it is going to be struggling for goals then it'd be good if possibly the final new signing before the season (other than Howkins?) can help to solve that by a) notching a few themselves and/or b) providing creativity and chances for the strikers, rather than adding another midfielder to those in the squad that do little of either.

I still think Aspin intends for the 2 central midfielders to be more disciplined in their roles. Maybe now the season is upon us he feels he needs another body in centre mid? Oyeleke has struggled with a couple of injuries, so can he be relied on? Tonge and Pugh are obviously just going to be squad members and so that would leave Kay alongside Joyce. Theres not much mobility there so I can see why he feels Conlon could be competing for one of those centre midifeld slots, he looks mobile and tidy on the ball too.

I haven't seen the lad play and I know it's a bit of a silly comment to say that if Stevenage let him go why should we want him here? I think we can all see why they let Tonge go, trier though he still is.

My concern like KK's is that we seem to have a plethora of midfield players - many of whom don't know where the net is - but very few players who are proven scorers.

I'd put all my eggs into one basket and sign another striker because Dodds apart I've seen little as yet that indicates that many of the new boys can get us 10-12 goals. We're relying very heavily on Miller and my serious worry - as it was last season - is that if Pope gets injured for weeks on end who then scores the goals? Once the window slams shut that's that.

All this analysis of stats!!! Had we looked at the stats there are so many wonderful players we would never have signed. Mick Morris, Bobby Gough, Sammy Morgan, Brian Horton, Colin Tartt, Akpo Sodje, Anthony Griffiths, Robin Van der laan, Jon McCarthy, Mark Bright..........the list goes on and on and on.

Stats do not win football games, players do that

As things stand with Oyeleke injured (hopefully he’s fit for the start of the season though). We’d be going into the first 2 games with a choice of either Pugh or Tonge to play alongside Joyce. So I can see why he’s interested in Conlon.

As things stand with Oyeleke injured (hopefully he’s fit for the start of the season though). We’d be going into the first 2 games with a choice of either Pugh or Tonge to play alongside Joyce. So I can see why he’s interested in Conlon.

Yes I can see that too, and I don't think (m)any of us want to see Tonge or Pugh starting in central midfield again.

I just have concerns that we're going to be lacking in creativity and service to Pope & Quigley/Miller, even after bringing in 12 or 13 new players, and we're fast running out of time (& budget?) to rectify it.

Archived