onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Remembering Roy...

Aussie Rules

Advert

If you put his statue on the pitch in our midfield he would still do a better job now than the players we have now.Stoke can have Matthews we had Roy the greatest one club man of all time and a brilliant player to boot.

If you put his statue on the pitch in our midfield he would still do a better job now than the players we have now.Stoke can have Matthews we had Roy the greatest one club man of all time and a brilliant player to boot.

I was never lucky enough to see “Sproey” in his pomp in the 50’s. But watching him as a teenager at the end of his career I was hoping that he would beat Portsmouth's Jimmy Dickinson’s record of most league games and for one club, but unfortunately he missed out by a handful of games.

It’s a shame how it all ended for him at Vale following his dismissal as manager. Apparently he was that hurt by his sacking that he never set foot in Vale Park again.

The word “legend” is banded around too freely these days, but in Roy’s case it had never been more apt. His statue outside the main entrance is a fitting tribute to a true gent.

What a pity that Smurfthwaite doesn’t share any of his fine attributes.

My mum and dad used to live on Buxton Street where Sproey ran a modest newsagent’s. Used to go in when visiting and he was always cheerful. A modest, unassuming guy who gave everything for the Vale. So glad he’s got that sculpture outside the ground. Well remembered for his powerful headers, I recall two in particular - the equaliser against Wigan in the FA Cup in 1969 and an absolute towering header at home against Newport. True legend.

My mum and dad used to live on Buxton Street where Sproey ran a modest newsagent’s. Used to go in when visiting and he was always cheerful. A modest, unassuming guy who gave everything for the Vale. So glad he’s got that sculpture outside the ground. Well remembered for his powerful headers, I recall two in particular - the equaliser against Wigan in the FA Cup in 1969 and an absolute towering header at home against Newport. True legend.

I think it is useful to reflect on the difference between the game then and now. Pitches were mud baths in Winter and rutted concrete at end of season or the sandpit. Boots cumbersome and game played with a casey that soaked up water during a game getting heavier and heavier. Injuries were often irrecoverable with cartilage damage in particular career ending or requiring a year off after major surgery. Of course players were also allowed to clog each other and the two footed tackle from behind was in vogue. So yes, a remarkable career.

They don't make 'em like Sproey anymore ........ Oh wait a moment we have Tom Pope. A rare gem in the modern day footballing world of greed.

They still don’t make ‘em like Sproey anymore......

Port Vale’s greatest ever player and servant by the proverbial country mile.

Archived