onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Keeper Crisis!!!!

sapperclarke

I was quick to defend Tommo after he was beaten from inside the centre circle and still say it was a super goal.

What keeper isn't on the edge of his area when the ball is in midfield?

He also made a couple of very good saves in the game.

However what i thought was poor defending at the time with Duberry's header looked very different on TV.

Owen clearly gets impeded and is left on the floor and Tommo comes out flapping leaving a gaping goal. The point where he jumped to punch is 3 yards on from where Duberry and Griff challenge for the ball.

It would have been a regulation catch had he stayed on his line.

I might be being a bit harsh but the Oxford keeper looked calm and commanding and so did the Morecambe keeper. Both showed good handling and distribution.

I considered the keepers position the least of our worries this time last year but now i'm not so sure.

Martin hasn't seemed the same and Tommo has been a bit rash.

Will MA be looking to bring a more experienced replacement in during the transfer window?

I believe we have lost a few points through keepers errors this time!

Advert

In the modern game where you find clubs filling their team with a host of tall players, I believe that you need a goalkeeper to be at least six feet three inches tall to be able to command the penalty area and not get bossed about by the opposition. I think that the goalkeeping position is our biggest prority.

morecombe player tried to lob him last home game, scouts were there so know doubt they passed the info on, any keeper that gets done from 40 yards needs to change his positioning going forward or he will get done again

I've noted that too. Seems to be a regular on a scouts report about Tommo leaving his line!

We're never going to get a perfect keeper at this level, however, performances of late have been a bit worrying and down on what has been put on show previously

Th standard of goalkeeping in this country is pretty low in my opinion and it certainly is in league two. Who would you like to sign that we could afford?

Tommo's positional sense has always been suspect IMO, but he has been a good shot-stopper. Unfortunately this season, from what I've seen so far, his positioning is, if anything, worse. IMO Chris Martin is the better keeper, but from the middle of last season, had a big drop in confidence--maybe a run in the team would give him that back? Also given the size of some players they're up against, both Tommo and Chris Martin are relatively short--most goalies these days are well over 6'2." The goalkeeper's position is not only a problem at Vale Park--ask Capello--England is also sadly lacking a good back-up to Jo Hart!

Why is it people moan about tommo coming to far off is line but then moan about martin staying on his line. A keeper is only as good as the defence make him. If the defence is suspect then the keeper will lose confidence. There is no way tommo could have known that that oxford player would shoot from there and he would not score again like that in a 100 tries.

Why is it people moan about tommo coming to far off is line but then moan about martin staying on his line. A keeper is only as good as the defence make him. If the defence is suspect then the keeper will lose confidence. There is no way tommo could have known that that oxford player would shoot from there and he would not score again like that in a 100 tries.

It's about judgement and reading the game. Even Adams bemoaned Tommo being so far off his line and getting chipped. At the end of the day, he got caught out and shouldn't have been.

It's about judgement and reading the game. Even Adams bemoaned Tommo being so far off his line and getting chipped. At the end of the day, he got caught out and shouldn't have been.

If the ball had been played over the top though and our defence had turned as slow as normal, would you shoot tomo down if he didnt get there before the striker?

From a goalkeepers perspective it is VERY hard too read a ball over the top... people talk about beckham's goal as being a great finish and all the rest but why is this any different? In my eyes it was a class finish

Nothing wrong with either of our keepers, we are a league 2 side for god sake and they are both at least worthy of being league 2 keepers.

They can't be blamed everytime we lose. Love them one week and hate them the next, its a joke. Watch the highlights from other games, keepers are not perfect, even in the prem. There are at least 2 or 3 keeper mistakes every week, some real howler aswell.

If these 2 are not good enough then I suppose they will both be playing Sunday league this time next year if they are as bad as everyone makes out as both contracts expire at the end of the season.

But tommo was only on the edge of his 6 yard box, was not that far away.

I wouldn't say we have a keeper crisis but we certainly have issues with both keepers, neither of whom are playing as well as they were last season (or the season before in Martin's case).

Of the two I'm most concerned with Chris Martin. To me he seemed to have a lot of potential but since Tomlinson's come to the club and he's lost the first choice slot his confidence just seems to have collapsed. I also suspect he originally lost out to Tommo because he's overweight and Adams is a stickler for fitness - not good for a young lad who's supposed to be a professional athlete. Chris needs to take a good look at where he's at right now and focus on getting slimmer, fitter and stronger. He's got the natural ability but if he doesn't work very hard at maximising his talents he could end up going the same way as Joe 'gargantiuan cranium' Anyon, albeit for different reasons, and that would be a great shame for both him and the Vale.

I'd be happy letting teams shoot from the half way line, one might ho in a season, compare that to the amount of times it is given away or the goalie stops an attack when intercepting a long ball. Tommo is a good keeper in this division but like even the best of keepers will make mistakes.

I'd rather have Tommo coming off his line and getting beat once in a blue moon (from distance due to bad positioning) than have Martin glued to his line for 90 minutes.

However, I do think Tommo was flattered last season by a solid defence and now we are dodgy he is getting found out. We need Col or Kozluk back asap.

Archived