onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Neil Aspin says Ryan Boot may get chance in FA Cup game

News Feed

Neil Aspin says that his “hands are tied” over the club’s keeping situation but youngster Ryan Boot may play in the FA Cup clash against Oxford United. The club have now used five goalkeepers already this season but both loanees Kelle Roos and Dimitar Evtimov have made mistakes which has seen some fans call for […]

Click for full article

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

So we play Boot until we can't bring in an emergency keeper, he gets injured and our other two keepers are still injured, what next? Pope in goal? We can't play Boot too much until one of the other two shows some sign of being available for a reasonable amount of time. Still a lot of football before the January window.

So we play Boot until we can't bring in an emergency keeper, he gets injured and our other two keepers are still injured, what next? Pope in goal? We can't play Boot too much until one of the other two shows some sign of being available for a reasonable amount of time. Still a lot of football before the January window.

Think under that scenario (injury)we would be able to bring in yet another emergency keeper. Once Ryan has played 5 games we wouldn't be able to have an emergency loan either on the bench or to bring in if his performances aren't at the level required.

Ideally we could do with tracking down an out of contract keeper to sign on a short term deal, either as first choice, or as back up to Boot.

One thing for sure is constant changes won't help. No doubt an experienced stopper will be high up Aspos January to do list!

So we play Boot until we can't bring in an emergency keeper, he gets injured and our other two keepers are still injured, what next?

The same as before - the emergency loan applies if you have no experienced keepers fit. I think the worry is more that Boot and/or Hornby play a few games taking them over the five game rule and then lose form - leaving us without any option but to play an out-of-form youngster.

The legacy of a clowns recruitment policy. I've said it before, it will take four transfer windows (2 years) to properly sort the mess out.

I personally have felt for ages that the club needs continuity and consistency. That means picking the right manager and coaching staff (we seem to have done that now) and sticking with them. The transfer windows mean it's really tricky to get rid of players and to get new ones in so I hope the fans are patient with Aspin and Rudge.

I would imagine the January window will be used to get rid of a couple of squad players by cancelling contracts and loans and strengthening the keeper and striking positions. Then the following summer I would not be surprised to see a few non-league chancers (via Aspin and Rudge) come in but turning around a squad of 30-odd in two transfer windows is unrealistic (I think valiant steve is spot on that it will take more than just one single summer to turn this squad around).

There are an awful lot to get rid of.

I just hope the fans are patient and don't get impatient for success. I'd rather have two seasons of consolidation, bringing in and developing non-league talent and the result of that being a solid squad, full of Aspin/Rudge signings, not hand-me-downs... Then we'd have a solid platform for success IMO.

I think when you look at all three local clubs - all three have had success when a manager (Rudge, Pulis, Gradi) has been allowed time (despite periods of criticism the club stuck with them) and were allowed a few years to develop a squad in their image and with their players.

We really need to stick with Rudge/Aspin and not expect too much, too soon I think.

hav'nt we got a recall option on our young goalies out on loan? and as for Boot give him his chance, all had to start once...if your playing your learning, and he can't be any worse than those we've used so far.

Joe Slinn is on loan at Stalybridge but I think the new rules are that there are no recall options anymore.

You are stuck with the players you have once the window closes (both those on contracts and any loans in and out). The only contingency is if you keeper does get injured you have the option to get an emergency goalkeeper loan in when the window is closed.

But I think it's a one-way street only - in other words you can get a player in but can't end a loan spell to bring a keeper back if others get injured. I guess the idea is that both sides commit long-term to a loan so if Vale did recall Slinn then it leaves Stalybridge in the lurch as they have committed to bringing him in and have no replacement for him.

The problem seems to be that the only keepers left for emergency loan are often untested youngsters who (arguably) aren't good enough (or experienced enough) to be back-up at their parent club and haven't been good enough (yet) to get a loan move out of the club.

Archived