onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - The Ashes

robf

People talk of pace yet the most successful medium / fast bowler of all time wickets wise who was incredibly successful in Australian conditions was Glen McGrath' date=' hardly a quick bowler even by his own admission. It’s all about lines and length and Woakes (aside from the second innings in Adelaide) and Broad in particular have consistently not been able to carry out plans. Overton looks promising but too similar to the other two aforementioned bowlers when we need variation in the attack, poor selection. Anderson at times has had them under the pump but hasn’t been supported.[/quote']

Glen McGrath was 6'5" and records show he bowled at speeds up to 145km/h, varied his pace, great line and length and due to his height and high action got plenty of bounce hence he took wickets in Australia and England. Just line and length won't cut it in Test cricket in Australia unless you bowl at 145+ km/hr, do some thing with the ball or get help from the pitch.

Root has been completely out captained and indeed shown up by Smith with the bat who is light years ahead of him.

Root's first series as Captain, he only has pea-shooters and a guy who hardly spins the ball to call on compared to Smith.

When you talk of gutless why don’t you mention the lack of guts of Stoneman this morning or the cowardice of Ball and Broad with the bat' date=' then there is the completely brainless and selfish ways a number of our batsmen have chosen to give their wickets away through 5 innings.[/quote']

Gutless is the word you use to describe England players, I would never call any cricketer gutless who has the courage to face fast bowling at any level of the game. It's a truly disgraceful phrase to use and you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself for using it.

Cook given all the coaching he’s had recently should certainly have fixed the issue you correctly describe' date=' the application and concentration simply isn’t there currently and he clearly needs a break as aside from one tremendous score he’s been pretty dreadful for over 12 months.[/quote']

When you're a tall guy like Cook it's difficult to fix especially in a Test series. If you understand the technique flaw then why do you call Cook gutless.

The biggest issue has been the fact we simply don’t have the ability to build pressure and nail home an advantage when we have had one in a game.

Fair credit for trying to defend them but at the moment they as a group are embarrassing the country with their careless actions both on and off the field.

You clearly don't understand what Test Cricket and winning a Test Series is all about.

A team can't win a Test Match unless they take 20 wickets, it really is that simple. Bowlers take wickets and the current set of England bowlers just aren't good enough in Australian conditions. Oh for a Jon Snow.

Advert

Glen McGrath was 6'5" and records show he bowled at speeds up to 145km/h, varied his pace, great line and length and due to his height and high action got plenty of bounce hence he took wickets in Australia and England. Just line and length won't cut it in Test cricket in Australia unless you bowl at 145+ km/hr, do some thing with the ball or get help from the pitch.

Root's first series as Captain, he only has pea-shooters and a guy who hardly spins the ball to call on compared to Smith.

Gutless is the word you use to describe England players, I would never call any cricketer gutless who has the courage to face fast bowling at any level of the game. It's a truly disgraceful phrase to use and you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself for using it.

When you're a tall guy like Cook it's difficult to fix especially in a Test series. If you understand the technique flaw then why do you call Cook gutless.

You clearly don't understand what Test Cricket and winning a Test Series is all about.

A team can't win a Test Match unless they take 20 wickets, it really is that simple. Bowlers take wickets and the current set of England bowlers just aren't good enough in Australian conditions. Oh for a Jon Snow.

Glenn McGrath will tell you himself his regular speed through his career was low to middle 130k’s, that’s nothing more or less than Stuart Broad for instance who is the same height so pace is a nice addition but not necessary to be hugely successful in Australian conditions. It’s a clear and fundamental lack of application which also runs through our batting order when you see some of the awful ways in which we keep getting out aiding the opposition.

You clearly haven’t watched some of our players face Starc if you think they have guts. It’s been embarrassing and the Aussies are all over it.

This seemingly highlights your lack of knowledge when it comes to test match cricket so the rest of your post is completely mute.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

This has been an embarrassment, skittled out yet again.

For me I would change the team round for the next one. Cook ain't what he was and 140 runs in his last 10 innings is nowhere near good enough. Same goes for broad he's offering absalutey nothing at the moment. Wood should play offers something different to the other bowlers, id also bring crane in for Ali again offered nothing all series and we may as well give the lad some experience.

For me stoneman and Vince have done ok and malan has been excellent, the senior players have really let us down. Cook, Ali and broad should be embarrassed.

Glenn McGrath will tell you himself his regular speed through his career was low to middle 130k’s' date=' that’s nothing more or less than Stuart Broad for instance who is the same height so pace is a nice addition but not necessary to be hugely successful in Australian conditions. It’s a clear and fundamental lack of application which also runs through our batting order when you see some of the awful ways in which we keep getting out aiding the opposition.[/quote']

I've seen many interviews with Glenn McGrath in my time and off the pitch he comes over as a really humble, nice guy who would "joke" about his lack of speed when actually it wasn't the case, on the pitch he was a different person.

You can pass on your anecdotes all you like but records show McGrath bowled at speeds up to 145km/h, add to this his bounce which he got from a high action and his consistency, variation in speed and you have an awesome fast bowler. Stuart Broad although a fine player in his own right is nowhere near the bowler McGrath was.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/95065.html

You clearly haven’t watched some of our players face Starc if you think they have guts. It’s been embarrassing and the Aussies are all over it.

How do you know what I've watched, so funny when that's all you got.

This seemingly highlights your lack of knowledge when it comes to test match cricket so the rest of your post is completely mute.

"Seemingly", so you're not sure then?......lol

Let's just say your Tom Popeesque comments about England Cricketers is a true indication of a total lack of knowledge of the game of cricket no matter how much you claim to have watched. One day I hope you get a Piers Morganesque comeuppance.

I've seen many interviews with Glenn McGrath in my time and off the pitch he comes over as a really humble, nice guy who would "joke" about his lack of speed when actually it wasn't the case, on the pitch he was a different person.

You can pass on your anecdotes all you like but records show McGrath bowled at speeds up to 145km/h, add to this his bounce which he got from a high action and his consistency, variation in speed and you have an awesome fast bowler. Stuart Broad although a fine player in his own right is nowhere near the bowler McGrath was.

How do you know what I've watched, so funny when that's all you got.

Let's just say your Tom Popeesque comments about England Cricketers is a true indication of a total lack of knowledge of the game of cricket no matter how much you claim to have watched. One day I hope you get a Piers Morganesque comeuppance.

Stick to your American sports lad, you are way out of your depth, amazingly I’ve just done a simple google search and I was spot on with McGrath’s average speeds

Trying to call people out on one of their areas without doing your research is never a wise choice.

This has been an embarrassment, skittled out yet again.

For me I would change the team round for the next one. Cook ain't what he was and 140 runs in his last 10 innings is nowhere near good enough. Same goes for broad he's offering absalutey nothing at the moment. Wood should play offers something different to the other bowlers, id also bring crane in for Ali again offered nothing all series and we may as well give the lad some experience.

For me stoneman and Vince have done ok and malan has been excellent, the senior players have really let us down. Cook, Ali and broad should be embarrassed.

Agree with many of your points but if a goal is to compete strongly in Australian conditions we've got to breed a quality fast bowler or two.

Stick to your American sports lad' date=' you are way out of your depth, amazingly I’ve just done a simple google search and I was spot on with McGrath’s average speeds [emoji849']

Trying to call people out on one of their areas without doing your research is never a wise choice.

Stop dreaming and look at the facts.

Stop dreaming and look at the facts.

Educate yourself lad;

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/cricket/ooh-ahh-is-it-another-mcgrath/news-story/0cd5976f2d96d88cba7d93ae6116a452

Equally today Joe Root, England captain, has admitted we weren’t blown away we simply were outplayed and didn’t show enough fight to match the Aussies.

You are chatting far too much rubbish on a subject matter that’s very close to my heart, ignore list for you chumley

This talk of Australia winning because of extra pace is a bit of a red herring in my view. Who were our bowlers when we won over there in 2010/11? Anderson who took a lot of wickets (24 from memory), Tremlett and Bresnan, none of whom were lightning. Sure, pace definitely helps but I suspect our bowlers now are as fast as those were then.

This talk of Australia winning because of extra pace is a bit of a red herring in my view. Who were our bowlers when we won over there in 2010/11? Anderson who took a lot of wickets (24 from memory), Tremlett and Bresnan, none of whom were lightning. Sure, pace definitely helps but I suspect our bowlers now are as fast as those were then.

I tend to agree with you’re points. Tremlett, had a lot of success, due in no uncertain terms to his height, with the extra bounce he generated. That seems to be the thing we fail to cope with rather than excessive pace. In the series you mention, we put scoreboard pressure on the convicts by consistently scoring 400+ in our 1st innings, sadly something we’ve not done enough on this tour.

That article says nothing, the link below shows McGrath did and could bowl at 145km/h (it's a fact), together with the bounce, his variation in pace (which you seem to get confused by) made him a tremendous bowler.

Equally today Joe Root' date=' England captain, has admitted we weren’t blown away we simply were outplayed and didn’t show enough fight to match the Aussies.[/quote']

Ask yourself why we were out played, answer, cause we hadn't got one or more strike bowlers to break important partnerships and get 20 wickets. A Test match cannot be won if a team cannot take 20 wickets, can't you understand that simple fact.

You are chatting far too much rubbish on a subject matter that’s very close to my heart' date=' ignore list for you chumley [emoji112']

If the subject matter is close to your heart why are you so uneducated about the whole subject. So far you've been taught that bowlers win test matches, it takes 20 wickets to win a test match, Cook's technique is the reason for his poor scores and England cricketers who get hit on the helmet and body are behind the line of the ball bowled by bowlers at 145+ km/h on a wicket with 20+mm cracks on a length are not gutless etc.

You did throw in the ditties that the pitch cracks wouldn't get bigger cause the temps were gonna be cool on the last two days but even the first of those ditties was wrong.

If you weren't such a narcissist I wouldn't hammer you like this but your constant use of derogatory words to describe everything from England cricketers to Vale players to poeple from Stoke-on-Trent warrants it.

I would be very grateful if put on ignore, it shows you can't handle robust debate. Now run along puppy and buy a Wisden and avail yourself of some knowledge, I am assuming you know what Wisden is.

Oh and by the way you should have seen The Pats game Sunday it was a cracker.

Archived