onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Checkatrade Trophy Group

Tomo

Advert

Considering the FL/PL's attitude towards supporters & their views, I have no faith that this will ever be scrapped, unless they are to financially benefit from doing so, so think we are stuck with it for the time being.

If this was just league clubs, I actually think the format would be pretty decent in terms of a competition, much better than a regular knock-out (which we have anyway in the other cups). However, I do agree that it's currently being completely ruined by the PL.

2 points. Firstly, the addition of the supposedly "bigger" sides U23 sides has clearly had a detrimental effect on the validity of the competition. Also, IMO, the return to the group stage of the competition is a dismal failure. This idea was scrapped soon after its inception in the early 80's because of too many matches having little on them. Then throw in mid week matches in poor weather and before a home league game at the weekend and people simply didn't attend. This same scenario exists again. But when the "bigger" teams bung us mere mortals money to take part, there was only ever going to be one outcome. When did supporters thoughts ever count for anything ?

The whole thing is a complete joke. Beginning of the end. They're testing the water. First year people moaned, this year less so. Within 5/10 years there will be academy teams in the league.

I will be having absolutely nothing to do with this utter nonsense. They can all **** off.

The whole thing is a complete joke. Beginning of the end. They're testing the water. First year people moaned, this year less so. Within 5/10 years there will be academy teams in the league.

I will be having absolutely nothing to do with this utter nonsense. They can all **** off.

Agree completely.

I didn't go any of these games last year and I won't be going to any whilst these teams are involved.

2 points. Firstly, the addition of the supposedly "bigger" sides U23 sides has clearly had a detrimental effect on the validity of the competition. Also, IMO, the return to the group stage of the competition is a dismal failure. This idea was scrapped soon after its inception in the early 80's because of too many matches having little on them. Then throw in mid week matches in poor weather and before a home league game at the weekend and people simply didn't attend. This same scenario exists again. But when the "bigger" teams bung us mere mortals money to take part, there was only ever going to be one outcome. When did supporters thoughts ever count for anything ?

Agree RE validity. However, even if this format did fail in the past, if they changed the entire image of the tournament, I think it could be a success. If the FL really cared about fans & the tournament itself they could market it as such - giving something back to the regular fan. Firstly, get rid of the youth teams, & have a very low standardised ticket price across the board for all games (increasing slightly each round), aiming to pack out stadiums & create some form of atmosphere. Then they could look to change the format for the 48 teams to something like:

- 1st round - 16 groups of 3 (RR).

- 2nd round - 16 winners (KO).

- 3rd round - 8 winners (KO).

- Area finals.

- Final.

That's 6 matches to win, down from 8 currently, so less stress on teams & even less for fans to spend. Have area finals at neutral bigger grounds, & the final at Wembley. Clubs could be subsidised by the FL to offset their losses on the cheap tickets in earlier games. Of course, none of this will ever happen, because they only care about money/the PL nowadays, but just a few ideas I think could make it more of a success, & bring back the validity.

Agree RE validity. However, even if this format did fail in the past, if they changed the entire image of the tournament, I think it could be a success. If the FL really cared about fans & the tournament itself they could market it as such - giving something back to the regular fan. Firstly, get rid of the youth teams, & have a very low standardised ticket price across the board for all games (increasing slightly each round), aiming to pack out stadiums & create some form of atmosphere. Then they could look to change the format for the 48 teams to something like:

- 1st round - 16 groups of 3 (RR).

- 2nd round - 16 winners (KO).

- 3rd round - 8 winners (KO).

- Area finals.

- Final.

That's 6 matches to win, down from 8 currently, so less stress on teams & even less for fans to spend. Have area finals at neutral bigger grounds, & the final at Wembley. Clubs could be subsidised by the FL to offset their losses on the cheap tickets in earlier games. Of course, none of this will ever happen, because they only care about money/the PL nowadays, but just a few ideas I think could make it more of a success, & bring back the validity.

Interesting points, but not too sure about neutral ground idea. The ironic thing about your comments is that a lot of these ideas were incorporated previously in the past which did improve the tournament. I personally didn't think there was too much wrong with the format until last seasons seemingly appeasement to premier league U23's, who then snubbed the idea ! But there is one thing for sure. Until the EFL jettison the U23's, the tournament will NEVER recover.

Interesting points, but not too sure about neutral ground idea. The ironic thing about your comments is that a lot of these ideas were incorporated previously in the past which did improve the tournament. I personally didn't think there was too much wrong with the format until last seasons seemingly appeasement to premier league U23's, who then snubbed the idea ! But there is one thing for sure. Until the EFL jettison the U23's, the tournament will NEVER recover.

I only thought of neutral grounds for the area finals as some clubs (e.g. Crawley) have tiny grounds, & you could have a team like Carlisle playing all the way away there, thus ending up not taking many fans with it being mid-week/ages away too. The neutral stadiums could be championship ones though (picked depending on the location of the sides playing), as it's unlikely a lot of teams would fill PL grounds for a mid-week game.

I've only watched since 2001, so not seen older formats, but all of the above seem like simple, solid ideas I reckon. Won't happen though, the powers that be show time & time again though that they care nothing for the common FL fan, & only about filling their pockets, so I expect nothing less than the crap they're currently spoon-feeding us.

Archived