onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Checkatrade Trophy Group

Tomo

Advert

That same season Vale reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup and drew WHU up here. Two 1st division teams in a season at Vale was a big thing then. Vale, as I remember, played really well and had what looked a perfectly good Bob Mountford goal disallowed. Pat Holland scored what turned out to be the West Ham winner. I excitedly got the Sunday papers because, despite defeat Vale had played well. What did I read.? WHU manager Ron Greenwood taking a leaf out of Alf Ramsey's book and described us as ANIMALS. Never forgive him for that.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Oh yes, the famous West Ham cup game - of course I am biased but I honestly think that was one of the biggest robberies of all time, and I still haven't seen us beat those (insert word of your choice here).

That West Ham game was the game of Tommy McLaren's life if I remember rightly, and I also not only never forgave Ron Greenwood but also his club, held in great esteem for their 1966 England world cup connections, but actually a dirty cheating load of bar stewards themselves.

Stabbings, fighting, a 20,000 crowd, early thick fog near Ashbourne where I was staying giving way to a crisp afternoon - I remember it all clearly. We finished 6th that year and would have got a play off place these days, but not then.

As for Newcastle away FA Cup 1990- luckily, like Joan with the home 1-3 league cup game, I was on holiday on a winter city break and so didn't go.

I've only watched one game at St James Park, Newcastle - and it was against Leeds when Leeds were the best team in the UK early seventies

Bremner, Jackie Charlton, Lorimer, Eddie Gray, Johnny Giles, Sprake, Reaney, Norman BYL Hunter, Allan Clarke, Yorath, Joe Jordan, Mick Jones - Id struggle to name that many players for any individual Premiership team these days (as I don't watch them on Sky).

I don't believe in having a 'second fave team' but that lot were closest, and because everyone else picked fights with them, I had a lot of time for them.

This has gone a little off topic from Checkatrade - but good to relive old memeories. This Checkatrade thing will have to go, really it will.

One of my best experiences with Vale was a few years after that match when Vale drew 2-2 at Newcastle when 2 down with around 7 minutes remaining. Vale drawing a league game there !

3 or 4 of us were in the main Geordie stand that day having got some complimentary tickets. We only reacted mildly to Vale's first goal but couldn't contain ourselves when the equaliser (from Futch?) went in a few minutes later - we went absolutely berserk and somehow got away with it.......just as well those complimentaries weren't for The Gallowgate End!

Thanks. I'm torn want I see us against crewe (I'm on holiday for the league match) but I'm totally opposed to this bloody competition.

As you are missing the League game, you will be granted a special dispensation to attend the trophy game and pretend it's the league game.

i'd rather pluck my eyebrows than go to this debacle of a competition.

Let us hope Lard take it as an exercise for game time for their under 23's like last year when Adam, Crouch,Bardsley and Diouf played against Morecambe :clap:

Amazed that the teams actually voted for the competition to stay as it is as some games were beyond farcical.

Is that a new ruling this year as all premier league teams played 1 game at home last year, I remember Chelsea being at home once and that lot from down the road played 1 game at home as well.

Yeah mate, from BBC:

Among the changes are clubs being allowed greater selection flexibility, higher prize money and invited teams playing their group fixtures away from home.

Fixture dates for anyone who hasn't seen:

Oldham (A) - Tues 29th Aug

Newcastle (H) - Tues 3rd Oct

Crewe (H) - Tues 7th Nov

Archived