onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Victoria beckham obe

ELDERBEZZA

Who wants to be like anyone else, successful and good people should inspire you to be the best you can in life to match or hopefully better their acheidvements.

So you are born, you are miserable, you die? Awesome :laugh:

Two of my mottos in life are - you only have one life, live it happy and the other is travelling is the only thing in life that costs money but makes you much richer!

Why would I want to mach or better someone else?.. thats their life, hopefully their dreams and aspirations... not mine. Successful in what they want?

You are born and eventually you die... what you do in between is up to you.

Your two mottos are distorted in my opinion.... you only have one life.. live it.. and.. its what you experience that enriches you whether you spend money on it or not

Advert

So you're still labelling her by a disease she may or may not have then? Would you do the same if she was a diabetic or had a thyroid problem? Good that you've retracted the nail gun comment, but as I said, I think we demean ourselves by using these body labels for people. We have no idea of the diet or health issues she has. I prefer to think of her as charity fund raiser rather than describing her by her body shape.

So you're still labelling her by a disease she may or may not have then? Would you do the same if she was a diabetic or had a thyroid problem? Good that you've retracted the nail gun comment, but as I said, I think we demean ourselves by using these body labels for people. We have no idea of the diet or health issues she has. I prefer to think of her as charity fund raiser rather than describing her by her body shape.

Whether she has anorexia or not is immaterial... she looks anorexic

I have no problem using body parts to describe how I see people... prescott is a fat, greedy, bulimic, b*****d simply because he is fat, greedy, bulimic and a b*****d

Well, we're obviously seeing this from different standpoints. I just don't think well progress much as a society if we stick to name calling on appearances. I prefer to speak about people as if they were standing in front of me, ready to defend themselves. It prevents me from such extreme and potentially inaccurate name calling. I suspect if Prezza were sitting next to you right now, he might have a view on the words you use to describe him. But of course he isn't is he, so you are free to carry on as you are. Well done.

Well, we're obviously seeing this from different standpoints. I just don't think well progress much as a society if we stick to name calling on appearances. I prefer to speak about people as if they were standing in front of me, ready to defend themselves. It prevents me from such extreme and potentially inaccurate name calling. I suspect if Prezza were sitting next to you right now, he might have a view on the words you use to describe him. But of course he isn't is he, so you are free to carry on as you are. Well done.

Him being here wouldnt change my opinion of him and I would not refrain from telling him or listening to his reply if he could muster a coherent one... what I think of people doent taint any conversation we may have.

Being fat, greedy and bulimic is what he has said about himself at different times

Well, it might not stop you from telling him, but I suspect he would have an issue with your final label.

Fat - yes, he would say he was.

Greedy - well, bulimia does that to you - you stuff your face knowing that it won't stay down there for long.

Bulimic - 100% correct - but when I see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7357008.stm

I feel sorry for the bloke. Why label someone by a name that causes utter misery? Does it make you feel superior in some way?

Bar steward? Well he was once a steward and waiter in the Merchant Navy, so if you meant it in that sense, then fine. I somehow don't think you did though, and I sense that what you say about people (not what you think, as you state above) would taint this particular hypothetical conversation. He served his country the best way he thought he could. You may not like his politics, but to label as you have done is sad. And why wouldn't he be able to muster a coherent reply? He is not super smooth in his delivery, agreed - another weakness to pick on, the fact that he stumbles over his words from time to time?? You're covering a big range of human frailty here...

Former BBC Watchdog presenter Lynn Faulds Wood has rejected an MBE,saying the honours system needs to be dragged "into the 21st Century".

Yesterday,Hillsborough campaigner Phil Scranton turned down an OBE.

Seems to be a trend here?

I didn't realise until today you can't actually turn down an honour given the way the 'offer' is made in the letter from the queens office.

The honours system is a bit like the Top 40 records chart, it still exists but almost everyone takes no notice of it and knows it is both meaningless, corrupt, invalid and a stupid anachronism that will eventually disappear and not be missed.

It isn't even worth protesting about.

As for not knowing it is possible to turn these daft gongs down, that has been the case for many years, David Bowie refused to be taken in by and refused a knighthood in 2003, and also Venessa Redgrave, LS Lowry, Aldous Huxley and many other great people. John Lennon sent his OBE back and said he no longer wanted it.

Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders,Honor Blackman, George Melly, even Alfred Hitchcock and up to 300 others have refused.... I am surprised to read that some posters who know so much and are so intelligent and well-informed have posted that they did not know people could refuse these so-called 'honours'.:laugh:

Well, it might not stop you from telling him, but I suspect he would have an issue with your final label.

Fat - yes, he would say he was.

Greedy - well, bulimia does that to you - you stuff your face knowing that it won't stay down there for long.

Bulimic - 100% correct - but when I see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7357008.stm

I feel sorry for the bloke. Why label someone by a name that causes utter misery? Does it make you feel superior in some way?

Bar steward? Well he was once a steward and waiter in the Merchant Navy, so if you meant it in that sense, then fine. I somehow don't think you did though, and I sense that what you say about people (not what you think, as you state above) would taint this particular hypothetical conversation. He served his country the best way he thought he could. You may not like his politics, but to label as you have done is sad. And why wouldn't he be able to muster a coherent reply? He is not super smooth in his delivery, agreed - another weakness to pick on, the fact that he stumbles over his words from time to time?? You're covering a big range of human frailty here...

So why hide from it?

Perhaps you are confusing what Im saying, Im not name calling to cause upset [whether it does or not is debatable]

If VB asked me how she looked I would tell her [like a stick insect or anorexic]. If my wife asked if her ass looked big I would say yes [if it did] I dont see the point in lying or trying to sugar coat something. If I go out for a meal and I am asked by a member of staff if everything was OK I would answer honestly [thats just an example because I have been known to voice my view about services whether Im asked or not, good or bad]

I doubt prescott would be able to hold a coherent conversation for a long period because of his past record of just shouting people down or mocking them if/when they dont agree with him.

Pleased to see that Doddy got a knighthood.

He'll be really tickled.

yes, a truly lovely and generous man.

from wiki-

In 1989 Dodd was charged with tax evasion. The subsequent trial, with the prosecution case led by Brian Leveson QC, produced several revelations. The Diddy Men, who had appeared in his stage act, were often played by local children from stage schools, and were revealed never to have been paid. Dodd was also revealed to have very little money in his bank account, having £336,000 in cash stashed in suitcases in his attic. ]

Archived