onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Real Issue

Hagrid

Lots of stuff I agree with but we're nowhere near record-low attendances.

Unfortunately so.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/port-vale-make-unwanted-club-history-with-fa-cup-crowd/story-29870978-detail/story.html

We had less than 4,000 home fans against Northampton, on a Saturday. I'd be surprised if Boxing Day doesn't see one of the lowest turn outs for a boxing day match for years too.

Advert

Absolutely agree' date=' completely crazy thread biting the hand that feeds the club![/quote']

Such a short sighted view. Staggering really despite all the evidence. OK, he's thrown money at the club, but he wants it all back...his words!! Not only that, how much money do you think he is costing us long term? Just look at attendances for the answer to that question.

It really isn't difficult, yet some people for some really strange reason, fail to see the blatantly obvious.

Didn't Smurf say he would take his time before appointing someone after Page left? He said he'd spoken to Rudge/Mickey Adams and other "prominent" football figures for advice.

Then he goes and appoints a rookie overseas manager? Can you really see Rudge or Adams saying this was a good idea? We all knew how this would turn out as we understand football.

We need to return to the days of taking released young players from teams above us a la McPhee, Bridge-Wilko, Cummins, Goodlad, Brooker, Armstrong etc. Streete and Jones are examples of this.

He doesn't want it back of us though does he, he wants to make the club successful and get it back through selling at a profit. Christ some people need to open their eyes and stop wanting the return of living hand to mouth under scum like v2001 in all it's guises!

His key mistakes have been managerial appointments as both have been pretty abysmal in reality after being given a chance as neither has used his wisely at all. What we wouldn't give for a Micky Adams now.

He doesn't want it back of us though does he, he wants to make the club successful and get it back through selling at a profit. Christ some people need to open their eyes and stop wanting the return of living hand to mouth under scum like v2001 in all it's guises!

His key mistakes have been managerial appointments as both have been pretty abysmal in reality after being given a chance as neither has used his wisely at all. What we wouldn't give for a Micky Adams now.

And how's that going for him so far?

Can you honestly say Page was given the same chance as Bruno? He came in with someone elses squad, 2nd from bottom and the role of keeping us up. He achieved it. In his only full season he was appointed, told his budget would be reduced and then told that his position would be reviewed again in September. With the budget threats in mind, Page went with what he knew and retained cheap players. Smurf then decided, ever the professional, to find his "sweetie jar" and then spend the season saying we should be top 6 with our budget. How was Page supposed to predict that kind of change in thinking and complete a retained list on that basis.

Then, in the middle of a great run last season, when confidence was high and fans were optimistic, Smurf decides from absolutely no where to start threatening budget cuts again in the coming pre-season. I remember Page commenting at the time about how unhelpful that was. But Smurf had a plan of course :laugh: a means of getting rid of Page, the Manager that had taken us from 2nd bottom to the fringe of the play offs in just over 12 months.

So we get to the end of last season, after Smurf destroyed all morale with his weekly budget threats, and we find ourselves again with Page having to draw up a retained list. Given the kind of guy he is, he plays it cautious. Who could blame him under those circumstances.

Next minute Smurfs handing out a 3 year contract to a manager with a track record of being sacked after a few months, and gets all excited throwing money all over Europe giving out 2 year contracts to players who look great on you tube playing against Benidorm reserves.

No way was Page given the same opportunity. He was working with an absolute joke of a Chairman, constantly undermining him, constantly moving the goal posts, constantly making PR gaffes that brought unwanted attention on him every few weeks / months.

Now look at how both those Managers performed. When you stop and think about all of that, I think Page is legend. How he managed to improve the league position from when he took over, to what it was when he left, I'll never know.

Didn't Smurf say he would take his time before appointing someone after Page left? He said he'd spoken to Rudge/Mickey Adams and other "prominent" football figures for advice.

Then he goes and appoints a rookie overseas manager? Can you really see Rudge or Adams saying this was a good idea? We all knew how this would turn out as we understand football.

We need to return to the days of taking released young players from teams above us a la McPhee, Bridge-Wilko, Cummins, Goodlad, Brooker, Armstrong etc. Streete and Jones are examples of this.

Yes, but having taken the advice of people expert in L1, he then listens to a top showman used to moving in the higher reaches of European football. Let that be a lesson to us all in all sorts of transactions, don't ask a dentist how to fix the central heating, you may be lucky you may be not.

I think there is a village missing it's idiot.

I would say the real issue is -

We dont stop enough crosses coming into the box

We dont mark well enough

We dont work hard enough as a team

We dont step upto the plate when required

Smurf can only pay people to do a job, if they dont do it he can only be expected to fire them when the time is right. In my mind when interviews for the Vale job were underway there was no better candidate out there than Bruno (sad times) and no where else to go. If he brings in Bruno he has to back him and let him bring in players and he has done that. Page was a boring negative limited manager who will never go any further than league 1, so lets stop making out like he was hard done to, my eyes were hard done to watching the dog **** he churned out every week whilst telling us Louis Dodds was a football genius (look how hes done since leaving...)

How a manager whos never managed in England coupled with his track record can be considered the best candidate I'll never know.

People use Shrewsburys and Notts Countys positions as sticks to hit some of the departed players with. Personally I'd take a Dodds or a Dicko back now if we could and is Patto better than AJLS?

We had stability under Page and say what you will about him, he was trying to build something and all that was undermined by the chairman. We've recruited poorly in the manager and some players, the chairman is the one that made a lot of those decisions.

We dont mark well enough

Smurf can only pay people to do a job, if they dont do it he can only be expected to fire them when the time is right. In my mind when interviews for the Vale job were underway there was no better candidate out there than Bruno (sad times) and no where else to go. If he brings in Bruno he has to back him and let him bring in players and he has done that. Page was a boring negative limited manager who will never go any further than league 1, so lets stop making out like he was hard done to, my eyes were hard done to watching the dog **** he churned out every week whilst telling us Louis Dodds was a football genius (look how hes done since leaving...)

He's scored 5 of their 20 goals this season, so I'd say he's their shining light.

We dont mark well enough

Who appointed the man who has created the squad who are at fault for those 4 issues, despite general dismay at the appointment?

If you honestly think an untested Portuguese manager with limited English, 8 jobs in 5 years and sub 40% win ratio was the best candidate at the time, you're mad.

Regardless of Page's ability, Smurf's comments after Page had left were nothing short of embarrassing, despite the very complimentary comments made by Page himself. At least with Bruno we'll get out of League 1. Just the wrong way.

Well if he wants to get his money back by making successful he's making real hard work of it.

Smurf has a plan. Sell Smith, Streete, Alnwick, anyone decent, to whoever will give him a wedge. He was banking on getting a plum 3rd round tie. He would sell the club, get all his money back, with a nice profit on the side, and leave us will an incompetent manager and a 40+ squad will around 8 decent players, having made little to no progress since he took over (imho promotion was inevitable, and we even worsened following his arrival).

His key mistakes have been the 2 most important decisions he has made then. Yet you still believe this clown will get us to the Championship?

Archived