onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

dwindling crowds/atmosphere

RayWalkers40yarder

In all fairness, I'll frequently bemoan our poor attendances but I'd never count ( or paint) myself as some kind of superfan. Those kind of people are always slightly alarming��.

I like my football rough round the edges and really dislike the way the game has gone for fans.

I totally understand people who can't afford to go to games. To me, it's criminal how the price of admission has outstripped inflation by so much. I may do 6 away games a season now as I find it very dear.

Some people dont like it rough around the edges but that just shows people arent the same

However I will have my say about people who don't go AT ALL but expect to be fawned on by the club to entice them back.

I think most of the posts are about enticing people to come... not come back

We have tried several initiatives that simply flopped. Two- game ticket offers, half season tickets, cash turnstiles....all in response to people moaning. Little or no take-up on any of these.

Vale have tried several one off initiatives, most last minute and poorly advertised... student offer that students didnt know about?

There's also a load of tripe talked about "value for money" as if football should come with guarantees. It's never worked like that as far as I know. That's why we love the game...because of the surprise element.

Its a difficult argument to make when you start by saying its to expensive. The simple equation is... is what you see worth what your paying. Nothing to do with guarantees about the quality... some think it is some think it isnt.

One thing we can't deny is we are losing fans in worrying numbers.

Amen to that.

Most of the initiative are directed at people who are already going/at the game... keep your ticket/bring a friend advertising on the scoreboard etc... some are short notice offers and all seem to be poorly publicised and oneoffs... given some or all of that is it any wonder they are fail?

The marketing department seem to focus only on people who already attend or have recently attended ... why?... its a destructive box mentality.

Its far more lucrative to expand your customer base than trying to sell more and more to the few customers you have.

If your happy with what you have your stuck with where you are... vale have 3,000 ish hardcore and a few regulars/walk ups

Advert

If you can point out what is ridiculous, I'm all ears.

You say it is worrying how many stayaways there are but you are incapable of accepting their reasons and continue to abuse them. You are simply creating a bigger chasm between us and them which will take some bridging. I'm off to see some music (its called entertainment for those that don't understand).

You say it is worrying how many stayaways there are but you are incapable of accepting their reasons and continue to abuse them. You are simply creating a bigger chasm between us and them which will take some bridging. I'm off to see some music (its called entertainment for those that don't understand).

That's where you are going wrong,most people listen to it.

It's a different day and age compared to pre social media where, it seems, instant gratification is prime plus your football and social media fixes can now be satisfied watching TV in the comfort of your lounge room or, for the older ones in the local pub with Foxtel.

I don't have answers how to attract the younger generation to football - especially cold and wet midweek games. All I know is today's world is full of distractions rarely known 20 years ago where now you can be virtually anywhere worldwide 24/7.

When we have family get-togethers we agree to turn of our mobiles etc. so as to maximise our time together. It works, to a point, but the younger members literally queue up to go to the toilet to - yes, you've guessed it - check their social networks.

Success on and off the 'Park will attract the punters but, in my opinion, many will want 'instant gratification' every game.

There seems to be a strange sort of conflict here....

Some people are saying that the club offer incentives to encourage fans to return.

Others are vilifying [not real] fans for not turning up, making excuses etc.

Is either approach working?

Even if the "missing" fans turned up would it improve the budget or just lessen smurfs input?

Lets imagine smurfs experiment [for want of a better term] succeeds but it costs him 1M in subsidies, the stay aways come back and restore the crowd numbers to what they were [5,500] is it enough to continue with the budget as it was after taking out the 1M? Does he need to inject a lesser amount and continue the subsidy?

In my opinion even if the missing fans return we dont move forward, at best we stand still, more likely we slip further backwards but at a slower rate than before.

Getting the "missing" fans to return isnt the answer, it definitely helps but doesnt solve the problem and if you are trying to reconnect with people who arent at vale park on match days its pointless trying to do it at vale park on match days... because they simply arent there to see it...

At the end of the day it isnt compulsory to attend, it isnt a duty, not even to the hard core who may think it is... its a choice... you have to get people to want to attend not tell them to or make them feel they have to attend.

Of course if there really are people who feel its not a choice the simple answer is to hike the price of entry... 50 quid would give the same [round figure] financial return from 3,000 as 7,500 at 20 quid.

I never thought this previously but I have changed my opinion...

The worst thing that was ever introduced was cashless turnstiles, it put a barrier to purchase in the way of attendance for pay on the day fans. It's not an easy process to get a ticket before the match because in typical Vale fashion it was introduced with little thought and little organisation. It's an old fashioned view but it's correct. I know fans that don't bother because of the faffing around. Make it 20 quid entrance, so one note, put wireless cameras in the turnstiles to police potential fraud and go from there.

There seems to be a strange sort of conflict here....

Some people are saying that the club offer incentives to encourage fans to return.

Others are vilifying [not real] fans for not turning up, making excuses etc.

Is either approach working?

Even if the "missing" fans turned up would it improve the budget or just lessen smurfs input?

Lets imagine smurfs experiment [for want of a better term] succeeds but it costs him 1M in subsidies, the stay aways come back and restore the crowd numbers to what they were [5,500] is it enough to continue with the budget as it was after taking out the 1M? Does he need to inject a lesser amount and continue the subsidy?

In my opinion even if the missing fans return we dont move forward, at best we stand still, more likely we slip further backwards but at a slower rate than before.

Getting the "missing" fans to return isnt the answer, it definitely helps but doesnt solve the problem and if you are trying to reconnect with people who arent at vale park on match days its pointless trying to do it at vale park on match days... because they simply arent there to see it...

At the end of the day it isnt compulsory to attend, it isnt a duty, not even to the hard core who may think it is... its a choice... you have to get people to want to attend not tell them to or make them feel they have to attend.

Of course if there really are people who feel its not a choice the simple answer is to hike the price of entry... 50 quid would give the same [round figure] financial return from 3,000 as 7,500 at 20 quid.

So what's your point? What would you do?

I don't think there is one. It's just waffle.

Of course it is... its the fans fault... they should get off their hospital beds, get out of their coffins, forget the repossession orders, disregard the credit card bills and final demands, sod work commitments and family needs and get to vale park on match days... because smithie [whoever] doesnt want to pay anymore for his season ticket than he already does... because hes a real fan and you arent

Is that better?

So what's your point? What would you do?

The Point......Getting lapsed fans back isnt enough, it wont solve the financial problem. We need more new blood than we do old allegiances.

What would I do... Get the marketing department to work or leave... advertise well in advance... give away as many tickets as is reasonable... target stoke on trent instead of vale park... for starters.

Archived