1. 1. What is our best current formation

• 4 3 3 (Brunos 1st Choice)
    • 4 4 2 (Plan B)
    • 4 2 3 1
    • 5 3 2
    • 4 2 4 (Micky Adams wingers)
    • 5 4 1

Advert

I think we should look to play 5 across the back with wing backs. Bruno likes to keep men behind the ball and counter. We also have two great attacking full backs with Taylor and Hart that he has tried playing as wingers.

We have 3 decent centre backs in Knopps Smith and Streete

Pack the centre of the field with people who can win the ball and set the widemen free.

Is option two some radical nine man side? (4-2-2). Is it supposed to be 4-4-2 (which would be my choice). If so, Emile, I can edit the poll to "4-4-2" if you like?

Good idea for the poll BTW!

I edited anyway as thought it was, the 424 appeals to me most right now but to be honest my choice would depend on who is fit/Bruno picks.

The problem is we don't have much pace in the forward line and we don't have enough goalscorers in the team. Whatever formation we play we look laboured and the forward(s) is isolated.

I'd go for 3.5.2 with our current players but I don't know how you go about making us more threatening in the final third when we don't have many players who know where the net is. The two that could make a difference are Forester and Jones and it would be nice to see them together. That's a start. But in midfield there's zilch. We miss Doods terribly. And down the wings we haven't replaced the likes of Williams, Marshall or Andoh who was beginning to look a threat. Real trickery and pace like they had frightens teams.

Just glad I'm not the manager.

Its a sad indictment of our current situation when someone says "we're missing Dodds terribly"....lol

I would go with 3 centre backs (Knopps, Smith and Streete) with Taylor and Hart as wing backs maybe Thomas could do the wing back role too. Then we can have three centre mids and two up top.

To be honest Bruno needs to take his head outta his ass and change the formation that clearly is not working and doesnt suit the players we have in the squad. Maybe he only has one plan and anything else is beyond him.... I hope not!

And down the wings we haven't replaced the likes of Williams, Marshall or Andoh who was beginning to look a threat. Real trickery and pace like they had frightens teams.

You must be reading my mind (which is a terrifying thought - too much HTML and Wordpress database info in there). As I was walking to the shop at lunchtime I was thinking how weak Vale look on the flanks (with the honourable exception of Thomas). We've got five other "traditional" (I'm discounting Jones, Taylor or Hart who can play there but perhaps are not classical wingers) wingers in the squad - Kelly, Mbamba, Haughton, Shalaj and Lloyd (granted he's on loan) Yet, I think we've opted for quantity over quality there. I'd happily swop two or three of them for one quality addition.

Archived