onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

justin richards

TWIGGY

Advert

We've had a thread about JR already.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about him but I find it difficult to understand why anyone would think that the squad is stronger without his 14-15 goals from last season.

Ideally we could have done with him AND Pope in the squad rather than either/or.

The jury is out on Pope. Now he's our player let's hope he recaptures his form but he'll be doing very well if he beats JR's goal account.

Let's see how many Pope scores first before claiming - on the basis of little evidence - that Pope is much the better player.

I hope he proves it. We want him to do well. But Richards didn't do too badly you know.

He wasn't good enough....correct decision to release him. Not bothered that we didn't keep him and not bothered we didn't sign Davies, give strikers enough chances and they will score, the balls we put into the box yesterday were shocking, that's where we need to improve. Crawley put some cracking crosses into the box and got 2 goals from them.

Are you for real? Davies was class and proved it last year as did Whittaker, another skilful player who Vale fans had a go at. I said last year I wasn't sure Justin and Marc would make a pair and Justin had scored a lot of Pens at Cheltenham which he wouldn't get thte chance to take here. The first few games Justin was brilliant but did tail off but then name me a player who didn't last season?

I still think the problem is Marc Richards is not a team player. He doesn't feed others and hates being outscored, which if used to motivate himself, is not always a bad thing but I have yet to see MR look like he can play with a partner. Rodgers, Davies and now Justin may have moved on to better things having not been there best at Vale. The common denominator? Marc Richards. Yesterday Pope flicked on and Richards was static. Also a few times Pope was going for a flick on and Richards would go for the same ball. Rigg actually held the ball up better than Marc. Marc's free kick was good as are his penalties usually. Richards never runs with the ball or on to the ball. This won't work with Pope who is an old fashioned target man and flicks things on for others chace. Pope needs a Naylor or McPhee player to feed off what he does. Justin & Pope would probably have been a better suited pair.

Are you for real? Davies was class and proved it last year as did Whittaker, another skilful player who Vale fans had a go at. I said last year I wasn't sure Justin and Marc would make a pair and Justin had scored a lot of Pens at Cheltenham which he wouldn't get thte chance to take here. The first few games Justin was brilliant but did tail off but then name me a player who didn't last season?

I still think the problem is Marc Richards is not a team player. He doesn't feed others and hates being outscored, which if used to motivate himself, is not always a bad thing but I have yet to see MR look like he can play with a partner. Rodgers, Davies and now Justin may have moved on to better things having not been there best at Vale. The common denominator? Marc Richards. Yesterday Pope flicked on and Richards was static. Also a few times Pope was going for a flick on and Richards would go for the same ball. Rigg actually held the ball up better than Marc. Marc's free kick was good as are his penalties usually. Richards never runs with the ball or on to the ball. This won't work with Pope who is an old fashioned target man and flicks things on for others chace. Pope needs a Naylor or McPhee player to feed off what he does. Justin & Pope would probably have been a better suited pair.

I find it incredible that you would remove our top scorer for Justin/Pope! Now THAT would be disasterous and has never even been tested before. Pope/ M Richards will score plenty this season. Didn't J Richards fail to score in over 10 games after Christmas?!

We've had a thread about JR already.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about him but I find it difficult to understand why anyone would think that the squad is stronger without his 14-15 goals from last season.

Ideally we could have done with him AND Pope in the squad rather than either/or.

The jury is out on Pope. Now he's our player let's hope he recaptures his form but he'll be doing very well if he beats JR's goal account.

Let's see how many Pope scores first before claiming - on the basis of little evidence - that Pope is much the better player.

I hope he proves it. We want him to do well. But Richards didn't do too badly you know.

I fully agree with your comments'

How much have managers (better judges than most) spent on Pope during his career than have spent on J Richards during his?

We got both on a free so who scores the most at the end of the their season must surely be the bargain/better player:yes:

He scored 14 goals in 44 starts. Almost 1 in 3. Not great but very respectable for a team that only really turned up for the 1st half of the season.

M.Richards scored 20 goals from 99 attempts (approx 1 goal every 5 attempts) and J.Richards 14 goals from 61 attempts (approx 1 goal every 4.5 attempts)

So you could argue despite working the channels and doing more off the ball work than M.Richards he's actually MORE prolific in front of goal :)

Without checking, I'm sure at some point in the season he scored one goal in about 15 games. That's shockingly bad for a striker at any level. His good start to the season (were talking 4 or 5 games) and his hat-trick on the last home game of the season (in which Dodds scored one too) make it seem like he had a far better season than he actually did.

The guy was a donkey, and won't be missed.

Archived