onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Time to go smurf

nowag

Christ all players play with knocks and injuries. He played with an injury for some of the promotion season but I suppose he didn't need an excuse then.

If it's a true stat 18 games is more than enough to get himself back to full fitness. Him playing during much of that dreadful run hardly worked in our favour did it anyway?

Let's be honest he worked his socks off in two pre-seasons and to his and the managers credit we developed a system that got the best out of him for 18 months.

People need to move on and stop making excuses for the past.

So his serious knee injury was an excuse? Have you ever played football and suffered ligament damage of any sort and know what it is like? I said on Pope's first game back after his injury that he was being brouht back too soon by a desperate Page so I wasn't making an excuse just commenting on how he looked. He still scored some precious goals, 1-0 away win at Walsall being one. You could argue he still hasn't recovered properly from that injury as he isn't the player he once was

Advert

Unless you have a very clear crystal ball Mr Eagle how do you know how the season would have panned out if Tom had remained at Vale Park. I find many folks comment on here about Popey very disrespectful. Do you lot not remember that until he was injured last term he was joint top scorer in the League and though I think he was rushed back too so I remember his performance against Preston when he came on a possibly the point that kept us in L1 because after that game it gave the team new heart.

I also feel that we lost a good targetman and Popey lost his inspiration because though he got a pay increase at the end of the day a very ignorant and disrespectful owner forced him out of the club with his shocking contract offer and snide remarks.

Also I'd have Popey back with a walking stick over the motley crew that are currently darkening our doorstep this season.

No point knocking Owd, apparently his injury was an excuse. I do wonder if some of these people have ever played football at any level and suffered the injuries that go with it, or just played the game on their PC.

I

Unless you have a very clear crystal ball Mr Eagle how do you know how the season would have panned out if Tom had remained at Vale Park. I find many folks comment on here about Popey very disrespectful. Do you lot not remember that until he was injured last term he was joint top scorer in the League and though I think he was rushed back too so I remember his performance against Preston when he came on a possibly the point that kept us in L1 because after that game it gave the team new heart.

I also feel that we lost a good targetman and Popey lost his inspiration because though he got a pay increase at the end of the day a very ignorant and disrespectful owner forced him out of the club with his shocking contract offer and snide remarks.

Also I'd have Popey back with a walking stick over the motley crew that are currently darkening our doorstep this season.

None of us know for sure. Maybe he has not fully recovered from those knocks? What I do know is we are in a far better league position without him than we were with him.

Good luck to him with the contract he secured at Bury, which they are saddled with for another 2 seasons.

I'd rather keep the memories of his performances in the promotion campaign and when we first consolidated our position in league 1, rather than see him back as a spent force and tarnish those images.

We all need to look forward and not live in the past

No point knocking Owd, apparently his injury was an excuse. I do wonder if some of these people have ever played football at any level and suffered the injuries that go with it, or just played the game on their PC.

And I said it was an excuse where? As you've said in your response to REP after the injury he is not the player he once was. That is the point - his day has gone.

FYI played at a decent level till my mid 30's, fortunate enough to avoid serious injuries, and still get round a 6 a side pitch and the occasional 11 a side, but not as quick as I used to. That's what happens - we fade with time.

Sounds like the condescending crap Robbie Savage or Mark Lawrenson would come out with.

Sorry Maradona or should that be Mard....onna! :laugh:

I've been in the game up to conference standard, but irrespective of that I am a fan of the club, thank Pope for his sensational season and wish him all the best at Bury except when he plays us but it was absolutely the right time for him to go for all concerned (aside from those who have an unnatural affection for him).

So his serious knee injury was an excuse? Have you ever played football and suffered ligament damage of any sort and know what it is like? I said on Pope's first game back after his injury that he was being brouht back too soon by a desperate Page so I wasn't making an excuse just commenting on how he looked. He still scored some precious goals, 1-0 away win at Walsall being one. You could argue he still hasn't recovered properly from that injury as he isn't the player he once was

No not at all. Players don't need excuses (fans are creating them) they either perform or they don't. He didn't need an excuse for his performances in the season before his sensational season when he scored 5 or 6 did he?

Clearly he isn't the player he once was, for 18 months he was superb, since then he's not been, its what happens with age ;)

And I said it was an excuse where? As you've said in your response to REP after the injury he is not the player he once was. That is the point - his day has gone.

FYI played at a decent level till my mid 30's, fortunate enough to avoid serious injuries, and still get round a 6 a side pitch and the occasional 11 a side, but not as quick as I used to. That's what happens - we fade with time.

You fade a lot quicker when you don't look after your body as well

He's good. You know him or something?

No mate, I enjoy listening to your analysis but can't stomach him at all.

For me a radio reporter should paint a picture on what is happening on the field of play. Too many times he slates Vale fans, thinks for players, managers and officials which I really hate unless he is psychic, rambles on about personal issues that are totally unrelated to what is actually happening during the 45 minutes +, if nothing is, tell us! They also need to be informative, apparently during the Shrewsbury game the guy that sits in front of me told me that Blakeman had said the t20 game between West Indies and South Africa was just about to get under way, he decided to stick it on the tv and continue to listen to the Vale game on the radio only to find it was 3/4 of the way through. Whether that's bad research by his team or not he's still the man that passes it on.

I would imagine he's a lovely and chatty lad hence the reason you like him as you spend a great deal of time with him travelling to games no doubt but that doesn't make him professional.

One of my friends is a reporter for BBC Sport and has been for years, he says the best thing a reporter can do is create and no form opinion, that should be done by the analysts (summarisers in your case) and of course the general public.

Thankfully I haven't needed to listen to him much but after the Crewe game I'm afraid I will have to!

No,but my good friend Mark Goodlad did.:(

Archived