onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope to Donnie?

wwindsor

Given we're slashing the budget id say our ambition is to try and not get relegated, not aim for the top 6.

I'll be gutted if Pope decides to go.

I got slaughtered for posting as much on the Grew thread. I got more Grew sour grapes comments than a run down vine yard but sadly Grew was talking sense for once. A £750,000 cut on last season's season spells out the word struggle. I'm glad that you concur George.

Advert

Tom Pope had one decent season. The rest has been patchy and inadequate in terms of consistency. I think you will find many supporters welcome the change of a front line. I am also happy that Page has elected to retain Williamson...this to me implies a change of formation/style of play.

On Pope, if it is any consolation, a change will probaly be beneficial to him although I suspect that Doncaster fans will be less tolerant than Vale fans, who, lets face it, stick with Tom 100% through bad and good performances. If only past players had been so lucky

Carl you haven't stuck by him 100% though have you?

He hasn't gone yet! As far as we know, he is talking to possible suitors which he is entitled to do if he is out of contract. He may come back and say "I've been offered this at Donny or elsewhere, can you match it or at least get close to it?" This goes on at workplaces all around the country.

IF he does go, which I don't think he will, then he goes with my best wishes for his goals and commitment, but I don't think it is the end of the world, based on his performances/injury record over the whole of the past season.

This.

"I wanna go home,Doncaster's a ****hole,i wanna go home.":thepope::thepope:

The problem is some Vale fans are still living in the past, Tom had a brilliant season 3 years ago, since then he has been just a ok player, we played better football when Tom was injured, and not the hoofball stuff, we played before and after he got his injury, if the club is to move forward, we have got to stop looking at the past, and look to the future.

When you say there is more to him than just his goals what are you referring to?

Your'e comments obviously shows that you haven't watched him for a long while REP if you need to ask that question. With regard to more consistent goalscorers yes I can spot them but you can bet your boots that we won't sign them.

I can't fathom the logic of some on here.

Pope is a good player at this level. If he'd had a full 50+ game season he'd have scored 16-18 goals in what many term as a shocking season for the Club.

With a reduced budget how on earth will be get a better player?

All the players rate him highly. Even Lee Hughes said in today's paper that we needed to keep him.

It isn't just his goals is it? His physical presence helps others, as do his assists. Remember the PNE game?

Most fans would be annoyed and frustrated if their top scorer left.

But on here some of you are pleased. It defies all logic.

Despite how some posters seem to rate Pope Donnie are not the only team in this division talking to his agent, seems other clubs may rate one of our own better than some of our own do, a bit sad.
I agree 100% Deano. In a few weeks many of them will be bleating about how much we need and miss him too.

I got slaughtered for posting as much on the Grew thread. I got more Grew sour grapes comments than a run down vine yard but sadly Grew was talking sense for once. A £750,000 cut on last season's season spells out the word struggle. I'm glad that you concur George.

Read hundreds of comments since last week

Reading everything that is happening at the Vale, my thoughts are :

Only one word coming out of the Vale for next season

Relegation

That IS the reality

Despite how some posters seem to rate Pope Donnie are not the only team in this division talking to his agent, seems other clubs may rate one of our own better than some of our own do, a bit sad.

Who are the others Ant? I take it they've offered more money if they are talking? Any clubs from the top 8 or any championship ones?

"Most fans would be annoyed and frustrated if their top scorer left.

But on here some of you are pleased. It defies all logic." (TheSage)

...not sure that they would be pleased if he left...perhaps it's just that they feel that there are other alternatives in our 'life after Pope,' if that turns out to be the case.

PR wise, it would not be a good move for Vale if Tom was "allowed" to leave, but money talks and - as Tom has said - it is important to him and his family at this stage of his career.

I agree 100% Deano. In a few weeks many of them will be bleating about how much we need and miss him too.

Of course we will miss him, he's been a good player for us and I think everyone will want him to stay but...on a sustainable wage that reflects his performance over his last contract as indeed his current wages reflected his superb season.

To be clear, the story says Tom is in talks with Doncaster, not that he has signed for them. I would assume he is also in talks with Vale. I would hope to god that the latter prove more fruitful than the fomer because if we are to operate on a reduced budget next season, Tom Pope is the sort of player we will struggle to do without. And to those who think we will do fine without him, remember, a prophet is often without honour in his own land - we take our own for granted and crave something new. Remember Rudgie! Sometimes you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone!

Archived