onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope to Donnie?

wwindsor

I hope Tom stays but check his scoring record. Take away one very good season for the Vale and his career is mediocre I'm afraid. Granted better then Ben Williamson. It appears the rebuilding exercise may be happening after all.
When you rebuild you replace your worst players not the best. If this is replacing for the future then heaven help us.

Advert

When you rebuild you replace your worst players not the best. If this is replacing for the future then heaven help us.

He may be our best forward at present but to be honest that's not saying much. If we are serious about improving there are only 2 or 3 players good enough for a higher division (or the top part of this division) and IMO Tom is not one of them. Tom is an excellent league 2 player and an average league one player based on what I have seen over the years. As I said, I do hope he stays but we will need better players if we are to progress. I know that may be a pipe dream!!!!

I fear you will regret this opinion John. One thing is clear don't rely on Willo to fill the huge hole that his leaving will leave on both the field, dressing room and lastly but very importantly on the terraces.

God help us, i,m not hoping that Willo fills the void because he wont i,m hoping that he brings in a decent couple of strikers and there are plenty who have been released, we always seem to not sign them unfortunately choosing lesser clubs over us, I can never understand that!!

If Willow & Birchill are Pages idea of good quality footballers I dread to think of what replacements would be for the likes of Pope, or Marshall and O'Connor.

Now IS the time to add to the likes of Pope, Marshall and O'Connor with more of the same quality players if a serious challenge for the top six in L1 is to be this next seasons ambition.

If the likes of Tom are allowed to leave to join rival L1 clubs and are not replaced with good quality players what is the only real option to fans to show their displeasure?

I can only think of one and that is vote with their feet! I believe that many will!!

Tom Pope had one decent season. The rest has been patchy and inadequate in terms of consistency. I think you will find many supporters welcome the change of a front line. I am also happy that Page has elected to retain Williamson...this to me implies a change of formation/style of play.

On Pope, if it is any consolation, a change will probaly be beneficial to him although I suspect that Doncaster fans will be less tolerant than Vale fans, who, lets face it, stick with Tom 100% through bad and good performances. If only past players had been so lucky

He hasn't gone yet! As far as we know, he is talking to possible suitors which he is entitled to do if he is out of contract. He may come back and say "I've been offered this at Donny or elsewhere, can you match it or at least get close to it?" This goes on at workplaces all around the country.

IF he does go, which I don't think he will, then he goes with my best wishes for his goals and commitment, but I don't think it is the end of the world, based on his performances/injury record over the whole of the past season.

Given we're slashing the budget id say our ambition is to try and not get relegated, not aim for the top 6.

I'll be gutted if Pope decides to go.

That should be our 1st ambition,lets build slowly, brick by brick, This dream of instant success is a pipe dream, steady progress is my dream. Suppoert your team Win or Lose. Keep the faith, Lets dream of a good cup run.

Tom Pope had one decent season. The rest has been patchy and inadequate in terms of consistency. I think you will find many supporters welcome the change of a front line. I am also happy that Page has elected to retain Williamson...this to me implies a change of formation/style of play.

On Pope, if it is any consolation, a change will probaly be beneficial to him although I suspect that Doncaster fans will be less tolerant than Vale fans, who, lets face it, stick with Tom 100% through bad and good performances. If only past players had been so lucky

33 goals and the top scorer in the country is just 'decent'?!?

He's had one 'out of this world' season. The two seasons he's had in league one had been 'decent'.

Talk is cheap players with ambition will only stay with a club that shows a similar attitude. Your comments regarding Pope aren't worth a reply other than do you seriously believe Vale will stump up enough money to bring in a player who will contribute as much to the team like Tom does because there is more to Popey than just his goals

If you really think they will then you must be crazy REP

I certainly think we can find a more consistent goalscorer yes (whether Page is the right man to do it is completely another question), when you say there is more to him than just his goals what are you referring to?

Let's remember it's Port Vale FC not Tom Pope FC, he puts himself first quite rightly and we have to care as a first priority about the sustainability of the club.

I dont think we should be too worried about Pope going we didnt really miss him when he was out injured and it lets us explore other ways of playing instead of hoof ball, we always have these discussions when top strikers leave the club but as shown over the years there is always a 'new kid on the block' who comes through

Ie Brooker, Constantine, McPhee, Richards, etc these were all good strikers and it just means we can change our style of play good luck to him if he goes and thanks for the memories

Excellent post and sums it up in a nutshell for me.

Not the sort of news we need to hear right now... even if he doesnt go.

I was hoping pope would be part if this spine of the team page talks about... a couple more like pope not returning and we start the season with a jelly fish

God help us, i,m not hoping that Willo fills the void because he wont i,m hoping that he brings in a decent couple of strikers and there are plenty who have been released, we always seem to not sign them unfortunately choosing lesser clubs over us, I can never understand that!!
It's very simple John. It's called money. They are willing to pay more.

Archived