onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pages message to fans......

MattW

What does massive rebuilding actually mean?

Doing a Blackpool this season, and look where its got them and how their fans are feeling now!

I think it's an excellent statement from Page, responding to flack which a lot of us thought was deserved at the time. But its good to hear his rationale and to actually get a coherent response from the Manager! There are some we can all think of whose only response would have been to slag off the fans or say nothing at all! Seems we have got one with a brain, let's be grateful and support him.

Advert

Doing a Blackpool this season, and look where its got them and how their fans are feeling now!

I think it's an excellent statement from Page, responding to flack which a lot of us thought was deserved at the time. But its good to hear his rationale and to actually get a coherent response from the Manager! There are some we can all think of whose only response would have been to slag off the fans or say nothing at all! Seems we have got one with a brain, let's be grateful and support him.

Blackpool were a disaster waiting to happen, a massive rebuild was done by Shrewsbury in the close season, they signed 15 new players and finished 2nd in the league.

I have to say that statement from Page speaks of desperation, what is he going on about the end of season results for and trying to say the players responded well, 1 win in 11 games against the team who finished bottom.

There are certainly some positives from this statement, but there is one part that just sticks out. Page saying its important to keep the squad that can handle league 1, we saw last season that most of them couldnt at all. I understand the need to keep a squad together but at this rate we will have 30 odd players. I await who this 4/5 are, looking at it, they all need to be first team players.

"When I took over I inherited players and staff and, for a variety of reasons, now have the opportunity for the first time of shaping the squad and its philosophy through my own recruitment"

How can you retain nearly all of the players you have been working with for months on end and then say you are now reshaping for the first time?

Page talks about the squads character for narrowly avoiding relegation after being in healthy position and thinks that the players deserve commending for it. The truth is they are not good enough and neither are his ideas based on whats been served up.

As noted by the previous poster the idea that the players can cope with league one is a worrying comment. How long can they cope with it? 3 wins out of 5? 2 out of 4? surrendering to **** teams and 1 win in 11 will probably be what we remember.

Page has a difficult job with the wage reduction but does himself no favours by offering deals to awful players and therefore limiting his options for the players he wants to recruit.

I really hope that we are all wrong and the season will be a triumph but I personally have no enthusiasm for next season :(

I think someone has been slipping something into my tiger balm... :blink::dizzy::woot:

Or it could be the snake venom.... its said to be good for dizziness... it doesnt cure anything but it numbs your body so you dont feel the pain when you fall over :dizzy:

I wish Rob all of the very best wishes because if he succeeds we will all be happy but his opinions appear to differ from his actions considerably. I wonder what the plan is of offering lower deals to some if not all of the squad after many proved that they weren't good enough in L1. I can only think he is planning to fill his bench with these 'el cheapos'.

Personally I think it would have been wiser to have a smaller (20 players) but better quality squad and look to the loan system to recruit when injuries occur.

To my way of thinking a shrunken wage isn't going to make anyone who wasn't good enough last season play better in the coming months.

Agreed.

I wonder if he's issued that because of the negativity on some of the threads on here of late?

It would be unfortunate if that was the case as we're all supposed to be Vale fans, believe it or not.

Definitely why the club have released it

Personally I think it would have been wiser to have a smaller (20 players) but better quality squad and look to the loan system to recruit when injuries occur.

To my way of thinking a shrunken wage isn't going to make anyone who wasn't good enough last season play better in the coming months.

See you can get things right every once in a while ;)

Exactly my way of thinking. I still can't fathom a reason for offering players who aren't good enough lower wages to keep a team morale which would obviously be impacted for that very reason. It would be better to say thanks for your service and cheerio to people like Lloyd, Yates, Dodds, Birchall and Williamson et al to enable us to keep the better players.

20 players of streamlined improvement plus the 5 youth players and the odd loan as and when would have been ideal.

Archived