onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Micky's up for an award...

Advert

Good news, I hope he wins manager of the month, and that Tranmere keep their league status.

Some turbulent times, but Micky will always be a positive part of Vale's history for me, with some hugely memorable moments like the promotion, the 6-2 destruction of Rotherham, the double wins over the Sheffield teams in the league cup, the huge crowd and battering of Burton 7-1, some great times.

He left at the right time this season for Vale and himself, and is giving Tranmere a new lease of life so long may it last for them.

Good news, I hope he wins manager of the month, and that Tranmere keep their league status.

Some turbulent times, but Micky will always be a positive part of Vale's history for me, with some hugely memorable moments like the promotion, the 6-2 destruction of Rotherham, the double wins over the Sheffield teams in the league cup, the huge crowd and battering of Burton 7-1, some great times.

He left at the right time this season for Vale and himself, and is giving Tranmere a new lease of life so long may it last for them.

Here, here also to add the Fleetwood away game and the way he almost single handedly dragged us through admin and out a promotion winning team together against all the odds.

Good to see he also seems to be winning accolades for his 'passing style' of football.

I wouldn't say he left at the right time really...

When do you think was the right time for him to leave?

End of last season. I know people will certainly disagree after how well we did, but IMO Micky had taken us as far as he could. I felt we should have gone with a new manager with new ideas that could take us to the next level (like page seems to be doing). Adams did fantastic but for me is very limited as a manager. Will always do well in league 2 and lower league 1 I feel but for a side wanting to push on he's not the right man. Especially after all the controversy surrounding his contract, for me that was the time to walk away.

I wouldn't say he left at the right time really...

I am astonished that you think a manager should leave a club that he had just got promoted, a few months after they came out of administration, and were virtually penniless. Any manager who did that should be given at least a season or more to see how they do in the superior league.

Then MA took Vale to the top half, a decent FA cup run, and put in place some of the players like Marshall and Veseli, Brown and O'Conner and others, who are keeping us performing well in this league - of course due credit to Rob Page. But even RP will acknowledge he must have learned a lot from MA.

MA took us from being a laughing stock on the back of the Aldershot bus farce, missing Keith ownerman and admin, to a team that had the highest scorer in the land and got 5-figure gates in at home, something I never thought Vale would ever do in a league 2 game.

That does not make him a saint, I could pick fault with many tactics or team selections, but on balance he left Port Vale in a massively better state than when he joined, and left us with a number of magnificent memories which outweigh the odd loss at home to Dagenham or signing Jamie Guy.

I think you wanted rid of him because you didn't like his tactics but maybe with different football we would have been back in L2.

As I said, and I admit it is with the benefit of hindsight, he probably left at the right time for both the club and himself which is another plus point as he knew it was right and acted in the best way for both parties.

MA could be dour, abrasive at times, but he was and is always deeply honest, totally respected and vastly experienced, Tranmere should be thankful for what they have now, Vale and their fans should be thankful for the time he spent with us and what he acheived.

There was a good piece about Micky Adams in the Torygraph last week in the build up to their cup tie. He said one thing in it which I thought was very perceptive:

“I think managers find their level and maybe mine is firefighting in League One and Two."

The full article is here if anyone is interested: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/fa-cup/11320946/Tranmere-v-Swansea-FA-Cup-third-round-Micky-Adams-still-haunted-by-La-Manga-saga.html

I am astonished that you think a manager should leave a club that he had just got promoted, a few months after they came out of administration, and were virtually penniless. Any manager who did that should be given at least a season or more to see how they do in the superior league.

Then MA took Vale to the top half, a decent FA cup run, and put in place some of the players like Marshall and Veseli, Brown and O'Conner and others, who are keeping us performing well in this league - of course due credit to Rob Page. But even RP will acknowledge he must have learned a lot from MA.

MA took us from being a laughing stock on the back of the Aldershot bus farce, missing Keith ownerman and admin, to a team that had the highest scorer in the land and got 5-figure gates in at home, something I never thought Vale would ever do in a league 2 game.

That does not make him a saint, I could pick fault with many tactics or team selections, but on balance he left Port Vale in a massively better state than when he joined, and left us with a number of magnificent memories which outweigh the odd loss at home to Dagenham or signing Jamie Guy.

I think you wanted rid of him because you didn't like his tactics but maybe with different football we would have been back in L2.

As I said, and I admit it is with the benefit of hindsight, he probably left at the right time for both the club and himself which is another plus point as he knew it was right and acted in the best way for both parties.

MA could be dour, abrasive at times, but he was and is always deeply honest, totally respected and vastly experienced, Tranmere should be thankful for what they have now, Vale and their fans should be thankful for the time he spent with us and what he acheived.

Not the season we got promoted to league 1. The end of last season, where we were dire throughout the latter part of the season

Why did you continue to defend him and his football then?

I haven't.... Nobody can deny that he did brilliant for us, all be it playing hoof ball. He did do well and will do again at a lower level. He had taken us as far as he could and it was time for change. I'm pretty sure I wanted Adams out long before most... Is that enough answers for you?

Not the season we got promoted to league 1. The end of last season, where we were dire throughout the latter part of the season

My apologies - I misread the timings, though the basic reasoning of my reply still applies in that he still deserved longer after taking us to the top half of L1 and the 4th round of the FA Cup.

I do agree that the contract thing dragged on too long, and was made bit too public.

I would guess that your reasoning is that had he gone in the summer and RP taken over, we might have more points as we wouldn't have had such a poor period in the September and October 6 losses period.

It isn't always that simple though - if MA had gone in, say, May then would we have signed the players we did in the summer, and might still have lost to Cardiff, Peterboro and Bristol City but perhaps picked up one win and a draw. But would we have won at Doncaster early on? Nobody can ever know, but MA did the decent thing and left when the slide was well recoverable.

I tend to agree with Barry that he was always more effective when the odds were against him, which was most of the time at Vale so again we should be pleased to have had such a truly professional manager.

Archived