onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tell me again that we don't need Pope!

old sage

That Geo would be funny if it wasn't possibly going through the mind of our owner.

We could link it all in OS.... first 11 with their boots get a game, next 5 get to sit on the bench, the following 15 could operate the turnstiles... or at least send everyone back to the ticket office... first 10 who bring a flask of hot bovril get in free, provided they sit in the refreshment kiosks... everyone gets a free brush, to be handed back after the game, to sweep the walkways to their seats.... and for pies?.... Im not sure where you can buy stale pies..... that should save 3s/6d a month at least

Advert

I never said that you were pleased but read your post again and it is a puzzle to work out just what you are alluding too. I also find people who support Smurf on his mission to undermine Tom Pope's value to the team pathetic.

After yesterday's farce OS do you not think that Tom, watching that, made his mind up that he may well be better off elsewhere? My gut feeling is that he will go in January as he has seen the "new" system installed by Page and it does not include a Tom Pope at the front of it! Wouldn't blame him one bit if the interest allegedly from some Clubs comes out in January.

I have loved having Tom at his peak for us but who knows what this injury/lay off may mean to his overall fitness? With tongue in cheek I say Tom would have struggled to get in the side without his injury because we have an alleged goalscorer on the bench who can't seem to make it in Page's plans, even if the present occupiers of the front line are so pathetic so maybe Page would have done the same to Tom? Who can rad Page's mind?

After watching today's shambles of a performance how can anyone who witnessed the pathetic efforts of our so called frontmen say that we can carry on next season without Tom Pope.

Yes the service from midfield was pretty dire but even so Popey would have scored the chance that came Daniel's way and he would have held the ball up far better than N'guessan and Williamson did. Quite frankly Williamson's contribution was embarrassing. If we are going to survive without our main striker next term then someone new will need to be signed up because as sure as God made little green apples the forwards that we have quite simply aren't League 1 standard.

If Williamson in particular is selected again then Page needs his bumps feeling because if Campion isn't better than him he needs driving down to Dover and put on the ferry back to his homeland.

Smurf I fear your stubborn stance over Pope's new contract will have huge repercussions in the future. Ambitious players will only sign up to a club that they feel have ambitions.

There is no evidence of Smurf being stubborn, stop making things up. You'd have to take the rose tinted glasses off to see that though and that's not happening anytime soon. Maybe he's doing what he thinks is best for HIS football club.

The reason we were so poor yesterday was down purely to the midfield. The chances weren't there, so no Pope wouldn't have made any difference.

I could count on one hand the number of people who actually want him to leave, it's just some are rational enough to support Port Vale, not Tom Pope and realise if he does go then there's a good reason- no conspiracy, no agenda. Some of us aren't still marching coffins up Hamil Road in our heads and don't have to whinge about everything

After watching today's shambles of a performance how can anyone who witnessed the pathetic efforts of our so called frontmen say that we can carry on next season without Tom Pope.

Yes the service from midfield was pretty dire but even so Popey would have scored the chance that came Daniel's way and he would have held the ball up far better than N'guessan and Williamson did. Quite frankly Williamson's contribution was embarrassing. If we are going to survive without our main striker next term then someone new will need to be signed up because as sure as God made little green apples the forwards that we have quite simply aren't League 1 standard.

If Williamson in particular is selected again then Page needs his bumps feeling because if Campion isn't better than him he needs driving down to Dover and put on the ferry back to his homeland.

Smurf I fear your stubborn stance over Pope's new contract will have huge repercussions in the future. Ambitious players will only sign up to a club that they feel have ambitions.

I did not see any evidence of support in fans coming yesterday to change the Club's plight

Next season will with have a budget circa 1.5k to 1.7k to secure 18 to 20 squad members

The maths do not support your plea and that still remains my position

SMURF

[is that how it should read?]

There is no evidence of Smurf being stubborn, stop making things up. You'd have to take the rose tinted glasses off to see that though and that's not happening anytime soon. Maybe he's doing what he thinks is best for HIS football club.

The reason we were so poor yesterday was down purely to the midfield. The chances weren't there, so no Pope wouldn't have made any difference.

I could count on one hand the number of people who actually want him to leave, it's just some are rational enough to support Port Vale, not Tom Pope and realise if he does go then there's a good reason- no conspiracy, no agenda. Some of us aren't still marching coffins up Hamil Road in our heads and don't have to whinge about everything

You are correct that Smurf is doing what he thinks is the best for HIS club as you put it Yukon. The trouble is are these decisions actually in Port Vale's long term best interests?

At the end of the day the proof of the pudding will be revealed next season. Results are what counts not individuals. The facts are that if the club slides down the league then the gates will fall because contrary to some peoples opinion a good proportion of the fanbase will only come to watch a team that is winning games and if the better players leave us at the end of the season then it will need a miracle to achieve this.

If Pope leaves then I doubt if the likes of O'Connor, Lines, Marshall and Neal will remain next year either. This is because there will be other clubs aware of their talent and willing to pay the extra money to get them in their squads.

Finally my coffin marching organising days are over I am proud of what was achieved by the protesters of which I was simply a small part of to get rid of V2001. Norman Smurthwaite owns the Vale now and that is the end of the matter but he should remember that to keep the turnstiles clicking even the 'die hards' of which I am one of their numbers want a little in return for our investment on a ST. There will be no more demonstrations but fans will silently protest by the growing amount of empty seats at Vale Park in the future and that is the last thing I want as my heart is at Vale Park and always will be.

I did not see any evidence of support in fans coming yesterday to change the Club's plight

Next season will with have a budget circa 1.5k to 1.7k to secure 18 to 20 squad members

SMURF

I agree,it would be madness to allow one players wages to swallow up a large percentage of the wages budget.

A lot of, imo, unfair comments towards Williamson.

He was no more anonymous yesterday than Pope has been at times. Willo relies on through balls and he was never going to get any with Brown and Dicko in midfield. He's never going to be a regular starter but I still think he's a decent player to have in the squad and some people are slightly overreacting towards his performances.

With regards to Pope, I think, up until yesterday, we've looked far better going forward without him. We were missing two top central midfielders and were relying on a 37 year old and a left back to create something. It was never going to happen. I've been quite happy with how we've played without Pope and, whilst it would be great to keep him, I don't worship him as much as others on here to the extent where I would either risk the club's finances or leave us with a tiny squad next year simply to keep him.

The Commercial dept has been cleared out and I am starting to rebuild the team

Clearly that income has some impact but 65% of overall ticket sales dictate the Clubs fortune compared to 8% for Premiership Clubs

I would not want to dispense with any commit-ed talented player but I will work within the Clubs realistic revenues

I have no desire to keep pumping large amounts of money without results although this year is less than previous season the turmoil of Mickey leaving and the squad that remained I do not believe now will place us in Play Off contention

SMURF

As the Club's owner it is your decision that counts but I consider that constant budget shrinkage will send us in a slow painful downward spiral.

Archived