onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Would you accept Ched Evans at our club?

upthevale

Ok. So I expect to see your response to any question on team affairs to be ' we don't have a choice anyway'

That's fine as long as you remain consistant in your opinion.

I dont post on player selections, I leave that to the manager... Its my opinion that if people dont attend matches because evens is signed they are rejecting port vale for signing him not the player, which of course they have the right to do.

Supporters dont have a choice on team affairs unless the club give us one... they have opinions, which they voice.

Advert

I dont post on player selections, I leave that to the manager... Its my opinion that if people dont attend matches because evens is signed they are rejecting port vale for signing him not the player, which of course they have the right to do.

Supporters dont have a choice on team affairs unless the club give us one... they have opinions, which they voice.

Finally, we got an answer that gives your opinion on the question I asked. Wasn't too difficult was it? 😇

Purely from the footballing point of view yes, we signed Lee Hughes and he did a good job for us as much as I wasn't keen on him playing for the club as a person before he did, we've signed a convicted person before so couldn't take the moral high ground if we did it again. But I'm not sure I'd want to be the first club to take him on! Someone somewhere will but it will be a big PR own goal for them in the short term but from that side(the media storm) it will blow over eventually.

Ultimately Ched Evans is the one who will have to have the strength of character to rebuild his career and deal with the constant stick from opposing fans(as Lee Hughes has had to do).

I have to say though I can't quite remember this much fuss so to speak when Lee Hughes was released and signed for Oldham(was it?).

Is it the public perception that rape is a worse crime than murder?? Based on the sentences handed out obviously the judicial system doesn't see it as such but perhap women would feel different to men on the subject in some cases? Or is it the fact Lee Hughes showed remorse for his crime and Evans hasn't as of yet?

I don't know I just wonder why there is so much of a media frenzy on the issue this time.

Finally, we got an answer that gives your opinion on the question I asked. Wasn't too difficult was it?

this is my opinion... like it or not.... disagree with it or not

if the manager decided to go for him and smurf signed him would there be a choice?

this is an explanation of my opinion

Originally Posted by geosname View Post

No way should he ever, be given an opportunity to play professional football. What does that say to the many youngsters who look up at players as a role model?

I'm sorry but being in the spotlight comes with it an obligation to uphold discipline and respect, and as far as i'm concerned, if Vale ever consider signing him I will turn my back on the club.

Lee Hughes was a case of carelessness, whilst what Ched Evans did was nasty and premeditated-ban him for life.

No way should he ever, be given an opportunity to play professional football. What does that say to the many youngsters who look up at players as a role model?

I'm sorry but being in the spotlight comes with it an obligation to uphold discipline and respect, and as far as i'm concerned, if Vale ever consider signing him I will turn my back on the club.

Lee Hughes was a case of carelessness, whilst what Ched Evans did was nasty and premeditated-ban him for life.

was hughes a drink driving case?... bad memory, its an age thing

Purely from the footballing point of view yes, we signed Lee Hughes and he did a good job for us as much as I wasn't keen on him playing for the club as a person before he did, we've signed a convicted person before so couldn't take the moral high ground if we did it again. But I'm not sure I'd want to be the first club to take him on! Someone somewhere will but it will be a big PR own goal for them in the short term but from that side(the media storm) it will blow over eventually.

Ultimately Ched Evans is the one who will have to have the strength of character to rebuild his career and deal with the constant stick from opposing fans(as Lee Hughes has had to do).

I have to say though I can't quite remember this much fuss so to speak when Lee Hughes was released and signed for Oldham(was it?).

Is it the public perception that rape is a worse crime than murder?? Based on the sentences handed out obviously the judicial system doesn't see it as such but perhap women would feel different to men on the subject in some cases? Or is it the fact Lee Hughes showed remorse for his crime and Evans hasn't as of yet?

I don't know I just wonder why there is so much of a media frenzy on the issue this time.

Very good, thought-provoking post that mirrors a lot of what ive been talking to my girlfriend about of late regarding the Ched Evans fiasco. Weve been comparing it to Lee Hughes too. While there was a backlash against Oldham signing Lee Hughes I dont seem to remember it being as fierce as this yet surely his crime was worse as it cost someone their life? As you say maybe its because he hasnt apologised. Then again (and this is me playing devil's adovcate here) he is adament that he is innocent, so if thats his genuine belief, then why would you apologise? In terms of if he were to sign here, i think we would get a lot of people making noise but ultimately football fans are fickle and if he started banging in the goals, i dont believe these fans would not celebrate them.

Lee Hughes did show remorse, he then went onto do alot for charity, he did not go back into the game at the highest level. How many people on this forum have drove the next day, thinking they may be over the limit, but still gone over to drove, yes he did ruin a families life, but he has since spoken with the family. Ched he has shown no remorse whats so ever, nor has he come out and said it was a mistake and he should have known better to put himself in that situation. The poor girl has had to move out of her hometown and find a new identity, has ched? maybe in the future he may have to find work.He still pleads he is innocent and duly in time his, appeal maybe upheld or refused, if it is refused will he then go on and be remorseful i very much doubt it. So answering the question i believe everyone deserves a second chance if they truly are reformed and remorseful of their crime, but its a big No from me i would not like him to play for my team.

was hughes a drink driving case?... bad memory, its an age thing

He apologised to his victims parents, whilst Evans did not apologise to his victim as he knows to do so would wholly admit in public his wrongdoing, and therefore jeopardise any chance of a return-thoroughly selfish to the core. If you want to bring some decency back to the game (which is in short supply, at the moment.)then you should condone him ever getting back into the game.

BTW I didn't forget anything, in fact I was half hearted about Hughes playing at the club.

He apologised to his victims parents, whilst Evans did not apologise to his victim as he knows to do so would wholly admit in public his wrongdoing, and therefore jeopardise any chance of a return-thoroughly selfish to the core. If you want to bring some decency back to the game (which is in short supply, at the moment.)then you should condone him ever getting back into the game.

BTW I didn't forget anything, in fact I was half hearted about Hughes playing at the club.

Its my memory I questioned.

As you noted he cant apologise, he has an appeal against the conviction.

Why not wait until his appeal then decide ? Generally, I don't think people should be punished twice, and imprisonment was the punishment not denial of employment. If he denies this serious crime, then he can hardly show remorse.

Regardless of anything else, and still taking into account what a horrendous crime rape is, to say what he did is worse than killing someone when drunken driving is ludicrous - actual life lost which can never be brought back and the consequences of that to relatives, compared to a horrible incident but one the victim admits not even remembering. For goodness sake, where is the logic in that.

This is not a rant at Lee Hughes either, as I didn't want him to be prevented from working either, at Vale or anywhere else. The courts make judgements, not individuals, and look at the rubbish that is in positions of power in football already, tax dodgers, alleged arms dealers, dictatorship millionaires, and criminals of all sorts.

I wouldn't accept Ched Evans because in my view he should still be in prison. He was found guilty and along with many others has not served enough of his sentence.

The fact he is still contesting the verdict through appeals means there will be long term baggage.

In many occupations, mine was one of them, there would no chance of him taking up his occupation on release.

no, but i didn't want to sign lee hughes either.

i love it when people say 'you wouldn't mind him going back to work if he was a brickie - hypocrite'

it's not hypocritical, i have no problem with ched evans earning a living laying bricks until he retires.

being a footballer is NOT the same as a 'normal' profession. footballers are role models whether they choose to be or not. they also earn considerably more than most people and somebody serving half their sentence and then waltzing back into a footballers lifestyle leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, as i'm sure it does the victims

i don't begrudge ex cons earning a living, preventing people who leave prison from finding employment does NOBODY any favours, however i do begrudge footballers walking back into the profession after doing time for immoral offences.

also to the person who said 'who hasn't driven the morning after a night out and think they might be over the limit'

that's NOT what lee hughes did. the court heard he was "driving like a mad man" and he also fled the scene after killing someone presumably in an attempt to get away with it - so suggesting it's something 'we've all done' is well off IMO

Archived