onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Would you accept Ched Evans at our club?

upthevale

I seriously think there's a good chance Evans will restart his footballing career at Tranmere; with Adams there he has no issue signing 'problem' players, he knows Evans from his time with the Blunts and Tranmere are desperate to stave off exiting the league, which, no doubt, will mean all bets are off on the morals front.

What Evans did was morally reprehensible but if we are to uphold our justice system he is an offender out on licence and as such has a right to find employment. He happens to be a footballer by profession rather than be skilled in a non-public type job. Whether or not an employer wishes to offer him a position is their choice but, technically, they are not allowed to disqualify him from any job he applies for simply because he's a convicted criminal, it would have to be because they didn't find him suitable for the role on some other grounds.

He maintains he's innocent of rape but that remains to be seen as at this point in time he is a convicted rapist whether he likes it or not. He obviously feels strongly about it and if I were convicted of something I felt I wasn't guilty of I'd probably argue my case in a similar fashion rather than accept guilt on the basis it would make rehabilitation easier.

From a Vale perspective I wouldn't sign him even if he had the skills of Lionel Messi because the trouble it would most likely bring wouldn't be worth it, plus unless his conviction is turned over on appeal he's guilty of a crime I see as one of the worst you can commit.

If I were Ched Evans I'd look for a club abroad whilst I carried out my appeal.

Advert

I seriously think there's a good chance Evans will restart his footballing career at Tranmere; with Adams there he has no issue signing 'problem' players, he knows Evans from his time with the Blunts and Tranmere are desperate to stave off exiting the league, which, no doubt, will mean all bets are off on the morals front.

What Evans did was morally reprehensible but if we are to uphold our justice system he is an offender out on licence and as such has a right to find employment. He happens to be a footballer by profession rather than be skilled in a non-public type job. Whether or not an employer wishes to offer him a position is their choice but, technically, they are not allowed to disqualify him from any job he applies for simply because he's a convicted criminal, it would have to be because they didn't find him suitable for the role on some other grounds.

He maintains he's innocent of rape but that remains to be seen as at this point in time he is a convicted rapist whether he likes it or not. He obviously feels strongly about it and if I were convicted of something I felt I wasn't guilty of I'd probably argue my case in a similar fashion rather than accept guilt on the basis it would make rehabilitation easier.

From a Vale perspective I wouldn't sign him even if he had the skills of Lionel Messi because the trouble it would most likely bring wouldn't be worth it, plus unless his conviction is turned over on appeal he's guilty of a crime I see as one of the worst you can commit.

If I were Ched Evans I'd look for a club abroad whilst I carried out my appeal.

Adams had Evans training with the youth team if I am not mistaken following a fall out in that doomed spell at the blades. I think we could do a lot worse and his skills as a striker would do us good far to much is made in this country about people's crimes and his case is still not fully proven yet despite the media /public opinion

Purely from the footballing point of view yes, we signed Lee Hughes and he did a good job for us as much as I wasn't keen on him playing for the club as a person before he did, we've signed a convicted person before so couldn't take the moral high ground if we did it again. But I'm not sure I'd want to be the first club to take him on! Someone somewhere will but it will be a big PR own goal for them in the short term but from that side(the media storm) it will blow over eventually.

Ultimately Ched Evans is the one who will have to have the strength of character to rebuild his career and deal with the constant stick from opposing fans(as Lee Hughes has had to do).

I have to say though I can't quite remember this much fuss so to speak when Lee Hughes was released and signed for Oldham(was it?).

Is it the public perception that rape is a worse crime than murder?? Based on the sentences handed out obviously the judicial system doesn't see it as such but perhap women would feel different to men on the subject in some cases? Or is it the fact Lee Hughes showed remorse for his crime and Evans hasn't as of yet?

I don't know I just wonder why there is so much of a media frenzy on the issue this time.

Since when did Lee Hughes murder anyone? Death by dangerous driving is a little different.

Hughes came out of prison, admitted his mistakes, kept a low profile and showed remorse.

Evans has come out of prison, denied the offence for which he was convicted, had either his or his fiances face all over national media and showed zero remorse.

Hes a convicted rapist and no 'family' club should entertain the idea of signing him.

If he was in any other profession then he would be left alone to get back into it, and I don't believe because he is ever so slightly 'high profile', he should have to be publicly shamed and lynched in the media.

Not entirely true. Some jobs, such as working with children, require a crb check. And having a sex crime conviction would be a problem.

What if it was someone with child molesting convictions? Would it be ok to go back once he had half served his sentence (as you suggested, his sentence is only half served as of yet).

I'll be honest, I'm not sure where I stand on this one, as I agree that if we don't let ex criminals work, then a lack of rehabilitation can lead to reoffending (in general). Though it's not the case that someone such as Evans, or someone who had committed certain crimes, could necessarily go back into their old jobs. Whether football is one of those jobs (with their position of role models) I'm not sure.

Not entirely true. Some jobs, such as working with children, require a crb check. And having a sex crime conviction would be a problem.

What if it was someone with child molesting convictions? Would it be ok to go back once he had half served his sentence (as you suggested, his sentence is only half served as of yet).

I'll be honest, I'm not sure where I stand on this one, as I agree that if we don't let ex criminals work, then a lack of rehabilitation can lead to reoffending (in general). Though it's not the case that someone such as Evans, or someone who had committed certain crimes, could necessarily go back into their old jobs. Whether football is one of those jobs (with their position of role models) I'm not sure.

You either didn't read my entire post or are very selective :P

Yes. He has served his time (or some of it) and the judicial system has seen fit to allow him back into society. Most people are not in a position to judge, especially as a lot do not know the facts of the case and what actually happened (I've read up a bit but still don't know probably the vast majority). Those that are in a position to judge have done.

If he was in any other profession then he would be left alone to get back into it, and I don't believe because he is ever so slightly 'high profile', he should have to be publicly shamed and lynched in the media.

Surely we have a rehabilitation act for a reason? I just don't think anyone in the general public should be allowed to judge somebody on what profession they go back into (unless the offence and profession are related e.g. child sex abuse & teaching).

Also, I wonder how many convicts are currently playing in non-league? Bet some of them probably had little trouble getting back into the game...

You either didn't read my entire post or are very selective :P

Yes. He has served his time (or some of it) and the judicial system has seen fit to allow him back into society. Most people are not in a position to judge, especially as a lot do not know the facts of the case and what actually happened (I've read up a bit but still don't know probably the vast majority). Those that are in a position to judge have done.

Surely we have a rehabilitation act for a reason? I just don't think anyone in the general public should be allowed to judge somebody on what profession they go back into (unless the offence and profession are related e.g. child sex abuse & teaching).

Also, I wonder how many convicts are currently playing in non-league? Bet some of them probably had little trouble getting back into the game...

Apologies. I don't even know if I quoted the wrong post or not. I was going to write something along those lines anyway. But yeah, it's quite blatantly there.

However, if Evans couldn't be a teacher now because of his crime, despite his crime not being child related, does football also come into a category where you are a role model? I'm not sure myself.

Like with Lee Hughes you have to take into account the severity of the crime.

Ched is appealing at the moment as he is maintaining his innocence and has done throughout. The rape was down to the fact that the woman involved was too drunk to give consent, not that he attacked her. Why would someone who believes they are innocent apologise ?

I am by no means saying that the crime is not wrong, simply that there are different degrees of rape. I don't know enough about the crime to go into any detail about it, but from the little I have read it seems to be a issue over whether she was able to give consent. Not that she didn't. I could be corrected over this, as I say, I have not looked at the case.

Like with Lee Hughes you have to take into account the severity of the crime.

Ched is appealing at the moment as he is maintaining his innocence and has done throughout. The rape was down to the fact that the woman involved was too drunk to give consent, not that he attacked her. Why would someone who believes they are innocent apologise ?

I am by no means saying that the crime is not wrong, simply that there are different degrees of rape. I don't know enough about the crime to go into any detail about it, but from the little I have read it seems to be a issue over whether she was able to give consent. Not that she didn't. I could be corrected over this, as I say, I have not looked at the case.

This is what it boils down to. It seems to be arrogance on the part of Evans.

The law is clear. If someone is unable to give consent then it's rape. Why is he unable to understand that?

He's lucky. If it had been my daughter, there would be no question of him returning to football .

This is what it boils down to. It seems to be arrogance on the part of Evans.

The law is clear. If someone is unable to give consent then it's rape. Why is he unable to understand that?

He's lucky. If it had been my daughter, there would be no question of him returning to football .

Wouldn't you be more concerned as to why your daughter got smashed and drugged up before going to a hotel room with a bloke she just met? The same bloke who she also said raped her as she was that wasted she couldn't remember ?

Archived