onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Congratulations to UKIP

JOHNNYAITCH

Progress in the North Staffordshire area has been rather slow in that many companies have elected to locate elsewhere, with exception to Distribution hubs who choose the area due to location convenience above all else. It is a shame that many of these jobs go to Migrants before they even get the chance to be advertised. And the British workers who do work in these industries suffer with stagnant wages and consequently the wages remain low due to the heavy burden of companies using agencies and taking on migrants at ridiculously low rates.

Labour has made not much difference to the area at all except for slight changes in road infrastructure (which comes from continual increases in road taxes) The monies that could have been used for improvements of general infrastructure and housing has been wasted on pursuing HS2 and new offices for the council in Hanley (complete waste of money) instead of renewing park and leisure facilities improvements and ensuring the roads were kept clean.

Trade has been driven away from the main city center and surrounding towns and the communities of the 1980's and early 1990's have all but dissapeared. Pubs have closed, nightlife has eradicated due to people not having the relevant expenditure. The regional European fund has no say from the electorate where the monies go, and consequently we have spending which does not benefit the electorate directly.The many brownfield sites in the area remain derelict and not used for further housing development. Why? Because the council has wasted most of the money on pursuing pie in the sky developments and paying huge amounts to consultants in pursuing them.

The European fund dissolves its monies in ways which make it seem like it is improving the area, when in reality, the area is being ignored.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/23/thriving-potteries-the-rebirth-of-stoke-on-trent

what do you think of this curl?

Advert

That was an enjoyable and positive read

It is up to the people to embrace the changes that are occurring, to want them and to be seen to want them. It's great that people were able to buy thoss £1 houses but the people of SoT need to ask more of the place and each other and be seen to be doing so by the outside world (the business community for example)

Regeneration on the cheap. I would not even take a house in that area for 50 pence until it had been properly cleaned up, top to bottom.

The council does not want to pay for proper modern houses to be built instead or they would not be throwing money away to consultants and new offices that they really did not need.

I bet the council leaders are paying to live in some run down dump aren't they?

Section 3.2 of their same small business manifesto says:

“The EU is responsible for a great deal of UK employment legislation. A good example of excessive EU regulation is proposals for 'longer and better maternity leave'...

...UKIP proposes to vastly simplify this legislation. It would be up to each employer to decide whether to offer parental leave and this would be one of the items included in the standard employment contract (see above). An SME which refuses to offer parental leave will either have to offer young women higher salaries than other businesses which offer a long leave period or they will simply have to recruit from a smaller pool of potential employees.”

"We get our legal right to four weeks’ paid leave from European Law (along with a host of other rights). UKIP would withdraw from the EU, and leave us without this Europe-wide guarantee of four weeks’ paid leave.

If that’s not clear enough, they helpfully spell it out in section 3.1 of their small business manifesto:

“UKIP would put an end to most legislation regarding matters such as weekly working hours, holidays and holiday, overtime, redundancy or sick pay etc. and provide a statutory, standard, very short employment contract template.”

http://www.unionstogether.org.uk/blog/entry/ukip/

I'll leave it to others to judge if this constitutes UKIP saying that workers should not have staturory holidays

I see the information you present refers to 'small businesses' However I am going to enquire reference this with UKIP themselves although reading between the lines, this would actually be a POSITIVE for the Jobs market as

1. Emphasis would be on employers to undo other companies and offer better terms and conditions

2.This would lead to a better competitive job market

3. Smaller businesses would have the power to offer discretion on allowing holidays and overtime in relation to business needs

4.Employees would have the option to sign an employment contract anyway thus there would be room to negotiate such entities.

This may lead to better terms and conditions of employees if anything.

I see the information you present refers to 'small businesses' However I am going to enquire reference this with UKIP themselves although reading between the lines, this would actually be a POSITIVE for the Jobs market as

1. Emphasis would be on employers to undo other companies and offer better terms and conditions

2.This would lead to a better competitive job market

3. Smaller businesses would have the power to offer discretion on allowing holidays and overtime in relation to business needs

4.Employees would have the option to sign an employment contract anyway thus there would be room to negotiate such entities.

This may lead to better terms and conditions of employees if anything.

I've not argued one way nor the other about whether this is a good thing or not..your question was "Where has UKIP said that workers should not have Statutory holidays? Where?" You made no reference in that question to positivity for the jobs market, better terms and conditions etc.

1 Better terms and conditions than competitors..Possibly but those terms and conditions may still be worse than they are now as enshrined in law. plus there wil always be someone willing to accept work for lessre conditons than others

2 Competitive in what senses..people outdoing each other in terms of how low they are prepared to go re the condtions that are prepared to accept. As long as there is a surplus of labour this will happen

3 Indeed..so that's good for the business..they can lay people off more easily for example

4 Indeed but the employer would as long as there is a surplus of labour have the upper hand

It could go completley the opposite way and I suspect that it would given that supply of labour at the lower paid/skilled end will alwaysd be greater than demand for that labour...this is one of the reasons that terms and conditions and employee protection have quite rightly had to be enshrined in law and not left to the market.

leeches? they dont work for the tax man but may be ok for some political parties... you could get the voters into the booth with a nagasaki nose throw... otherwise you seem to be pretty active

I thought a vice applied to the nether regions of some might encourage them to vote. Tried strategically placed tweezers last time and it didn't really work as too many down here seemd to actually enjoy that ;)

Does anyone know why companies have relocated?... I understand that some of the pottery industry moved to the far east.

If you wanted to start/open a company would you choose s-o-t? if so why?

I may be out of touch or old fashioned but isnt the prime directive of a business to make money... if thats the case and it is financially viable to make more money somewhere else shouldnt they move? wouldnt you move?

>> Does anyone know why companies have relocated?

Relocation of companies to the far Eastern area's in the past has been previously reported to be due to the high earnings of the work force in comparison to the foreign wages.

The real reason is the enormous expenses incurred by taxation, council tax, high cost of energy, e.g. gas & electricity, vehicle insurance and fuel expenses, telephone charges, employers Nat. Ins. for it's employees, V.A.T. - Solicitors & accountant fees, Euro regulations and other expenses that the foreign competitors are not lumbered with.

In the past in the Pottery industry which produced the best in the world, it's work force endured bad working conditions such as the dust which caused many to suffer from silicosis, and cold, wet and dirty conditions in return for low wages. It would be an injustice to inflict any blame upon the Pottery workers for the relocating of the majority of the pottery companies to other countries.

Relocation of companies to the far Eastern area's in the past has been previously reported to be due to the high earnings of the work force in comparison to the foreign wages.

The real reason is the enormous expenses incurred by taxation, council tax, high cost of energy, e.g. gas & electricity, vehicle insurance and fuel expenses, telephone charges, employers Nat. Ins. for it's employees, V.A.T. - Solicitors & accountant fees, Euro regulations and other expenses that the foreign competitors are not lumbered with.

In the past in the Pottery industry which produced the best in the world, it's work force endured bad working conditions such as the dust which caused many to suffer from silicosis, and cold, wet and dirty conditions in return for low wages. It would be an injustice to inflict any blame upon the Pottery workers for the relocating of the majority of the pottery companies to other countries.

That's all true although some blame must be attached to management/owners who failed to invest whilst the going was good...but what about now..why is SoT not attracting companies now to locate to SoT..it's cheap on many levels, centrally located? I've seen Exeter (which is my nearest city and isn't a cheap place and isn't ideally located) attract all sorts from the Met Office to Friends Provident to EDF to the Highways Agency..maybe i am missing what's going on in SoT?

It was not my intention to blame the workers, I have first hand knowledge of the conditions they worked in and a large proportion of my family were engaged in the industry and some were poorly paid.

Archived