onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Glover

George

Anyone that saw Glover and Foyle play for us will no doubt hold them in the highest regard, but I think most people would fear either of the 2 former players getting involved in management again.

Having both previously failed when they were in charge, people would worry that if Page fails (and we hope he does not) then the easy option would be to appoint either Foyle or Glover again.

Great players they were, but managers they are not.

Agree with this totally. Glover couldn't manage a good sh¡te.

Advert

Glover was my favourite player as a youngster, I had my photo taken with him when I was mascot. He is also the best defender I've seen down the Vale. When he was manager, I hated him. I genuinely did. But with the ousting of V2001, and where we are now, I've mellowed and would rather remember him as the fantastic player he was. I don't think he'll ever be a threat to page or whoever is the manager, neither will he be an unsettling influence.

I think this; if you were happy with Adams as manager, after he had joined the board of v2001 with Stan Meighs proxy, and publicly thanked Bratt and Jackson on the radio minutes after we had won promotion, then you can't have any issue with Glover being a coach either.

Glover was my favourite player as a youngster, I had my photo taken with him when I was mascot. He is also the best defender I've seen down the Vale. When he was manager, I hated him. I genuinely did. But with the ousting of V2001, and where we are now, I've mellowed and would rather remember him as the fantastic player he was. I don't think he'll ever be a threat to page or whoever is the manager, neither will he be an unsettling influence.

I think this; if you were happy with Adams as manager, after he had joined the board of v2001 with Stan Meighs proxy, and publicly thanked Bratt and Jackson on the radio minutes after we had won promotion, then you can't have any issue with Glover being a coach either.

I can and I do- I have a huge issue with him being coach.

Plus if you think he was better than Aspo, you weren't watching closely enough!!!

Come on Jim, why didn't you have an issue with Adams being manager then? He was probably better mates with Bratt, Jackson and Meigh than Glover was. He joined the board to keep them quorate. I can't see how the two differ that much with regards to reasons to dislike them. Yes, Glover was a poor manager, it's not a reason to soil his legacy as a player in my eyes. Put it this way; I think he's more of a Vale icon than Adams and contributed to more success than Adams did. Yet people fawn over Adams but Glover still receives vitriol.

With regards to Aspin being better. Aspin was and always will be, a Vale legend. But as footballers go, Glover is in the top 5 Vale players of my lifetime with Walker, Earle, Guppy and Foyle.

I also have to add mate, that from reading on here, you're quite pally with Ray Williams. Part of the "football committee" Holy Trinity with Glover and Jackson. All equally culpable of what went on at the time. If you can be friendly with Ray, why hold Glover in such low esteem? Genuine question.

I also have to add mate, that from reading on here, you're quite pally with Ray Williams. Part of the "football committee" Holy Trinity with Glover and Jackson. All equally culpable of what went on at the time. If you can be friendly with Ray, why hold Glover in such low esteem? Genuine question.

My issue with Glover is how he conducted himself in the light of Lee Sinnott's appointment and then in turn his own. He was clearly out of his depth and making excuses including blaming the fans and his players. The only reason he didn't quit was because didn't serve him well. He should have held his hands up, admitted his short comings and said he wasn't up to the job. Failing to do so was a ridiculously selfish act.

You know as well as I Adams only joined the board because we were in breach of the company's articles of association. It's a ridiculous stick to beat Adams over the head with, no more than a convenient cheap shot.

I know Ray and have done for many years, he's a nice bloke. I don't agree with everything he says but I respect him and his opinion, mainly because he speaks his mind.

As for "Top Five's", Aspo's in my top one!!!

Agreed. I get one feeling when I think of him- dread

I really don't see any negative in glover coaching. He's not getting involved in management and will be a coach, seriously what is the problem there? He was a brilliant defender and will be able to help and coach our defensive unit.

You know as well as I Adams only joined the board because we were in breach of the company's articles of association.

Because he took the position we had deakin and miller... if he hadnt ratified the board by joining it it would have come to a head sooner.

No one knows if it would have been a better outcome but it wouldnt have been such a long drawn out painful process... he never did buy his shares did he... I suspect that the reason he did join the board was to keep getting paid and possibly to thank bratt for overpaying him to get him back.

I really don't see any negative in glover coaching. He's not getting involved in management and will be a coach, seriously what is the problem there? He was a brilliant defender and will be able to help and coach our defensive unit.

How long has he been coaching the defensive players?

Archived