onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

NHS strike.

melv

Nurses etc of the NHS are set to go on strike partly due to the government not wanting to award them a 1% pay rise.A pay rise that was recommended by an independent review body.

http://www.theguardian.com/healthcare-network/2014/oct/08/everything-need-know-nhs-strike-pay

But how strange that when MPs wages were reviewed by an independent pay review body the pay rise was awarded.

Advert

Sadly the public sector can strike when it doesn't get what it wants like a spoilt child. The rest of us have to just get our heads down and carry on as if we went on strike in the private sector you dont have a job to come back to

Absolutely spot-on. And the review bodies' 1% recommendation has been awarded--yet they still go on strike, because they argue this is not enough! They also have gold-plated and secure pensions--mine, that was through a private company got filched and I have had to suffer the consequences of that! I have every respect for the job that health workers do, and, God knows we need all the dedicated ones we can get. However, if they are not happy, they should go and get a job in the private sector--they'll then find out just how protected they are in the NHS!

Nurses etc of the NHS are set to go on strike partly due to the government not wanting to award them a 1% pay rise.A pay rise that was recommended by an independent review body.

http://www.theguardian.com/healthcare-network/2014/oct/08/everything-need-know-nhs-strike-pay

But how strange that when MPs wages were reviewed by an independent pay review body the pay rise was awarded.

I belive parliament as whole can reject the increase but that would then mean that MPS were setting their own salaries which is why the new process has been put in place..although individually they can refuse it/give it away. MPS are underpaid anyway..as are many NHS staff

My wife is a nurse by profession (although she works elsewhere in the NHS now) and is appalled by this action. She actually received a letter form UNISON asking her to support the action and it claimed (and I paraphrase) "Whilst patient care will be affected in the short term [during the strike] ultimately patient care will improve as a result of this". She was being encouraged to take action that would adversely affect patient care; how on earth could she support that?!?!?!?!

How strange that NHS employees keep quiet about automatic increments that they receive every year...on top of pay rises that they win

It's a difficult one for me, for selfish reasons I'd like NHS staff to get the 11% MP'S have been awarded but I know it can't possibly be funded and shouldn't... Only a small proportion have got the 1% rise though.. Most have had nothing.

Putting underpaid workers in the private sector against underpaid workers in the public sector. People should be directing their anger at those at the top who are awarding themselves pay rises and tax cuts. This is classic divide and rule stuff and we've had four and a half years of it.

Using dismal private sector pay as a reason to justify dismal public sector pay is justifying a race to the bottom.

I know I couldn't do what most NHS workers do.

Sorry, correction; the government has turned down the recommendation of an additional 1% increase because most of the workers who are striking have already been awarded incremental increases of 2-3% of salary--try getting that in the private sector!!

Top post.

For me NHS shouldn't be allowed to strike, potentially putting innocent people's lives in greater risk.

Putting underpaid workers in the private sector against underpaid workers in the public sector. People should be directing their anger at those at the top who are awarding themselves pay rises and tax cuts. This is classic divide and rule stuff and we've had four and a half years of it.

Using dismal private sector pay as a reason to justify dismal public sector pay is justifying a race to the bottom.

Which tax cuts have helped the high earners? From what i see they now pay 52% tax in comparison to 41% under labour? The personal allowance has gone from 7475 3 years ago to 10000 thats 500 better off for most low earners, the higher earners lose their allowance at 100k earnings. This is classic making stuff up.

People should be directing their anger at those at the top who are awarding themselves pay rises and tax cuts.

Who at the top is awarding themselves pay rises and tax cuts? OK MPs will benefit from tax cuts but then who doesn't benefit form income tax cuts, tax threshold rises asnd so on?

We're talking mainly today about nurses and midwives taking strike action who chose their careers. Of course we'd all like to see them paid more but the fact they do something most of us couldn't do is not just reason to pay them more...by that reasoning sewage workers should be the highst paid in the country

Are nurses paid dismally?

How does it compare with the national average of £28k? How does it compare to jobs that take an equal amount of training and time to qualify? Not digging, it's a genuine question?

I have family members working for the NHS that do ok. Their basic is a lot more than mine, along with pensions. They've still had job security and pay rises whilst the country has been on its knees.

Maybe this is quite personal to me because I went without for a long time to ensure my family business survived the worst recession in generations whilst the public sector plodded on pretty much unaffected by comparison.

Archived