onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

LABOUR learning lessons?

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

I forgot about the conference until this morning when I was approached by Eddie Izzard asking me for directions to the nearest taxi rank. Massive heels he had on, looked like a right divvy slipping and sliding on the cobbles in Albert Square.

I'm a member of the Labour Party but am on the verge of sacking it off. I'm sick of Milliband saying what he thinks people want to hear. The clammy desperation of appealing to the centre ground when zillions of voters are deserting the party from the left. I don't want a leader who deals in soundbites and placating Daily Mail and Sun readers. Labour should be absolutely livid with what is happening to the country; I want an angry man with a bad back who has forgotten his pills and is really ******ed off.

What lessons?

You mean their part in the global recession which was down to the banking crisis everywhere else in the world, except for the UK according to the right wing press?

Of course not.......I refer solely to the mistakes etc that Ed Balls acknowledged in his speech today..I suggest that you read it before commenting further

But I'll help you with some example quotes from his speech...

Immigration : "So Conference, we should have had tougher rules on immigration from Eastern Europe – it was a mistake not to have transitional controls in 2004."

Better regulation "And Conference, while it was the banks which caused the global recession, and it was the global recession which caused deficits to rise here in Britain and around the world, the truth is we should have regulated those banks in a tougher way. It was a mistake. We should apologise for it. And I do."

Min wage and benefits "And Conference, and we didn’t do enough to tackle the underlying causes of rising spending on housing benefit and in-work poverty."

Spending "So in our manifesto there will be no proposals for any new spending paid for by additional borrowing.No spending commitments without saying where the money is coming from.Because we will not make promises we cannot keep and cannot afford."

Fair play to him and to Labour..others need to do the same and admit where they got it wrong and the lessons they have learned

You can read it here....http://press.labour.org.uk/post/98137818419/speech-by-ed-balls-mp-to-labour-party-annual

I forgot about the conference until this morning when I was approached by Eddie Izzard asking me for directions to the nearest taxi rank. Massive heels he had on, looked like a right divvy slipping and sliding on the cobbles in Albert Square.

I'm a member of the Labour Party but am on the verge of sacking it off. I'm sick of Milliband saying what he thinks people want to hear. The clammy desperation of appealing to the centre ground when zillions of voters are deserting the party from the left. I don't want a leader who deals in soundbites and placating Daily Mail and Sun readers. Labour should be absolutely livid with what is happening to the country; I want an angry man with a bad back who has forgotten his pills and is really ******ed off.

I tend to agree..Labour needs to be more radical, needs to say (whether I agree or not) "This is right so this is what we are going to do". It's doing us no good having everyone occupying the middle ground..that will just lead to the rise of extremists and them having a disproportional influence in politics.

Not withstanding the Tories supporting the Labour spending plan penny for penny right up until the global crash when they jumped on the blaming bandwagon along with the elite public school friends in Media Baron land. The press in this country is guilty of self interests and blaming 'Labour' government rather than their friends in Westminster, Canary Wharf and any number of tax havens. Unfortunately most folk are too thick to see through these constant lies. The difference in policy between the Tories and 'Labour' is 3% - they are all in it together. The vast majority of the press are run by the wealthy for the wealthy and the truth doesn't come into it.

An absolutely shocking comment..but no surprise oh enlightened one. Please keep telling us what we are all too stupid to grasp for ourselves

Badly worded JA but most people believe wholeheartedly what they read and watch, no matter how inaccurate it is. It's the Bushist policy that if you say it enough it becomes true in your head and to those you tell.

Here's what Goebbels said "“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”"

Much more difficult these days to shield people from the consequences of the lie given comms technology and so on..the truth will out eventually and i believe in this age people are much more cynical, more worldly, have access to multiple sources and so on. UK isn't North Korea

Archived