onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New Stadium?

j_grainger10

Had a look at the oatcake earlier as I heard they were having a good old laugh at the fact they thought we were getting wound up and looking at some of the comments they seem to be blaming Vale Park as the source of our problems and talk about some deal we were offered to re-locate that was rejected.. Anybody know anymore on this and also why don't we downsize? Vale Park will always be too big for us and the cost to run and maintain it must be huge.

There appears to be a Vale fan on there giving as good as he gets and some empathy from the Stoke fans is always good to see.

Advert

I don't get this big ground costs more in upkeep stuff. Obviously 20 000 seats costs more to install than 10 000, but once they are in there is no running costs, it's not like the ground is heated so no costs there, only thing I can think of is, a bigger ground would take more cleaning.

I don't get this big ground costs more in upkeep stuff. Obviously 20 000 seats costs more to install than 10 000, but once they are in there is no running costs, it's not like the ground is heated so no costs there, only thing I can think of is, a bigger ground would take more cleaning.

Surely maintaining and complying with health and safety is expensive.

Stewarding on match days.

Surely maintaining and complying with health and safety is expensive.

Stewarding on match days.

And the cost of a new ground would be? There was once a proposal for a joint ground, cap 35k, on Festival Park, rejected by both clubs. I prefer to put spare money into the team, one ground move has been enough in my lifetime, without which many big gates/games would have been missed.

There was a chance of ground sharing with Stoke before they moved to their new ground, thankfully it was rejected.

In an ideal world I'd like VP redeveloped, it's too big, not compact enough and the rake of the stands are too shallow, there's massive potential there to convert the old three stands to better smaller stands that would create a better atmosphere with great facilities and then use the wasted land particularly behind the Railway to better use. It would of course cost a pretty penny but long term could be made profitable.

and talk about some deal we were offered to re-locate that was rejected.. Anybody know anymore on this
Yes this is true, when Bill Bell was chairman many years ago the council offered Vale the chance to have a new ground at Festival Park. But part of the deal was Bill Bell and Vale had to put some of the money towards it. Bell refused it and so the council then got in touch with Stoke City and built the Britannia Stadium. But yes they asked us first.

And the cost of a new ground would be? There was once a proposal for a joint ground, cap 35k, on Festival Park, rejected by both clubs. I prefer to put spare money into the team, one ground move has been enough in my lifetime, without which many big gates/games would have been missed.

Cost depends on location and money received for selling the old ground. The fact that so many clubs have moved in the last 25 years suggests they do make money from it. Having said that, I would prefer to stay where we are, but I wouldn't rule out a good deal for a smaller ground in the north of the city.

To keep up with modern times we need to move and have a new ground, we dont need anything bigger than a 12000 seater stadium, ideally still in the Burslem area, as any move away from Burslem would surely kill off the town that is amost a ghost town at times anyway, may be a ground where the Doulton factory used to be on Nile street ?

Cost depends on location and money received for selling the old ground. The fact that so many clubs have moved in the last 25 years suggests they do make money from it. Having said that, I would prefer to stay where we are, but I wouldn't rule out a good deal for a smaller ground in the north of the city.
Of course we should keep all our options open, clubs move for lots of reasons, even Cov with a new ground. Usual drivers are a prime site like Highbury, with a shortage of capacity and facilities as well, but who knows what will happen to Burslem in the future as a residential area. Vale Park could well become a community and entertainment centre as part of a newly developed ground, or it maybe worth while re-locating, wait and see I suppose. A move doesnt always work out, ask Darlo.

I will get shot down for this but here goes. I have sat in railway stand past 7seasons with lots of other die hards but would make sense to close it with stewarding , tea bar turnstile operater costs and only open it for the odd big game, probably once a season, this would also fill the paddock and bycars up and create a better atmosphere. I prefer the railway stand to sit in but would sacrife my seat in that area to help the club.

I will get shot down for this but here goes. I have sat in railway stand past 7seasons with lots of other die hards but would make sense to close it with stewarding , tea bar turnstile operater costs and only open it for the odd big game, probably once a season, this would also fill the paddock and bycars up and create a better atmosphere. I prefer the railway stand to sit in but would sacrife my seat in that area to help the club.

I'm not sure the short term saving would be wworth it. You'd have people who'd sat in the same seat for years who would point blank refuse to go back if they lost their long term seats.

In my opinion, we are crying out for a new stadium. It's too big & too open. A stadium akin to the New York stadium would be perfect. Every stand needs investment to bring it up to date (you could argue the Hamil is ok). Even things like the gradients of the stands is poor. Stands too far away from the pitch, poor facilities, poor infrastructure around the ground. I could go on

To keep up with modern times we need to move and have a new ground' date=' we dont need anything bigger than a 12000 seater stadium, ideally still in the Burslem area, as any move away from Burslem would surely kill off the town that is amost a ghost town at times anyway, may be a ground where the Doulton factory used to be on Nile street ?[/quote']

12000? We have had more than that in vp on a few occasions recently. What about housing the away fans in such a small ground? Could a 12000 seater ground have been big enough to cope with wolves/cov etc

Archived